THE QUEST FOR THE DC/OC Beginneth!

MistaBohmbastic

29 minutes ago, buno67 said:

It’s the perfect time to go out. You just destroyed the best HC in college football history with a team people were hyping up as his best squad ever because of the offense with a true freshmen and some suspended players. Go get that money and if you fail, he won’t have to wait a second to get another college job

And with Baker, this squad and this front office, the odds of failing terribly are pretty slim.  At a minimum you should be mediocre/competitive.

Now’s the perfect opportunity for him iyam if he wants a shot in the league, opportunities to get to coach what looks like a franchise QB at age 24 don’t come around all that often.

25 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

And with Baker, this squad and this front office, the odds of failing terribly are pretty slim.  At a minimum you should be mediocre/competitive.

Now’s the perfect opportunity for him iyam if he wants a shot in the league, opportunities to get to coach what looks like a franchise QB at age 24 don’t come around all that often.

The more I think about it, especially last night and reading things about the coaching candidates.

i think I’m down to wanting Freddie or Dabo as the HC. Freddie is prolly the realistic pick but Dabo would be the homerun hire. 

Dabo isn’t your cookie cutter HC but hey, we don’t have a cookie cutter QB. I think Dabo could have a relationship with Baker like Freddie does because I think Dabo and Freddie have a very similar personality and approach to coaching. 

1 hour ago, zelbell said:

If Dabo were to leave Clemson and he fails in the NFL, he’s always going to have the Alabama job waiting for him if he wants to go back to college football 

I honestly don't know what makes people so convinced Dabo will be a good NFL Head Coach.

Maybe its just me, but he seems like a guy who college kids REALLY connect with, but I'm not sure how he would do as a head coach in the NFL with players who make more than him.

Going from college to the NFL is SUCH a different animal because in college you have to be a good leader of kids, you have to be a great recruiter, you have to be good at developing young players to maximize potential quickly, you have to help develop strength for bodies that are QUICKLY growing and changing , you have to show consistently you can keep kids focused and motivated even when they play no-bodies.  Kids cycle out after 4 years and can transfer at any time, you don't have to stick with one player or one team and learn to fit your system to players you have.

In the NFL you have to work with guys who make more then you and gain their respect instead of force it.  Every week you play someone who could beat you without an issue.  You need to grow with your players as most of them will stick around for a majority of your tenure.

Just because someone is successful in college doesn't make them successful in the NFL.  Nick Saban is arguably the best college coach ever, and he didn't succeed in the NFL.

I'm not saying it cant work, I'm just saying Dabo is not our "Home Run Hire".  He, like any other college coach, is a big risk.  And listening to him talk, I never thought he would be someone who NFL players would be drawn to like the kids in college are.

Just my opinion anyway....

9 minutes ago, CBrownsman said:

I honestly don't know what makes people so convinced Dabo will be a good NFL Head Coach.

Maybe its just me, but he seems like a guy who college kids REALLY connect with, but I'm not sure how he would do as a head coach in the NFL with players who make more than him.

Going from college to the NFL is SUCH a different animal because in college you have to be a good leader of kids, you have to be a great recruiter, you have to be good at developing young players to maximize potential quickly, you have to help develop strength for bodies that are QUICKLY growing and changing , you have to show consistently you can keep kids focused and motivated even when they play no-bodies.  Kids cycle out after 4 years and can transfer at any time, you don't have to stick with one player or one team and learn to fit your system to players you have.

In the NFL you have to work with guys who make more then you and gain their respect instead of force it.  Every week you play someone who could beat you without an issue.  You need to grow with your players as most of them will stick around for a majority of your tenure.

Just because someone is successful in college doesn't make them successful in the NFL.  Nick Saban is arguably the best college coach ever, and he didn't succeed in the NFL.

I'm not saying it cant work, I'm just saying Dabo is not our "Home Run Hire".  He, like any other college coach, is a big risk.  And listening to him talk, I never thought he would be someone who NFL players would be drawn to like the kids in college are.

Just my opinion anyway....

I hate this narrative. He did better with that team than they did before him or after. 

32 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

I hate this narrative. He did better with that team than they did before him or after. 

You're right.

I am sorry for wording that wrong.

Nick Saban is arguably the best college coach ever, and hiring him didn't work out for the Dolphins.

There are a lot of factors at play...

30 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Yeah Gus Frerotte, Sage Rosenfels, Joey Harrington and Cleo Lemon were his Qb’s.

Saban or not, it’s the nfl and you need a whole to win.

Luckily our next HC will have one of those.

2 minutes ago, ReggieCamp said:

Translation:

The Packers are the only organization stupid enough to interview me after the crap that I pulled with the Colts last year. I'm now forever tethered to the Patriots and can only hope to be Bill's successor, in which case, I will inevitably run this organization into the ground, hopefully for the next 300 years, because that's what this fanbase and law of averages has determined shall be fair.

2 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Wonderful news.

Yep.  Of the names been thrown around, McDaniels was last on my list.  I think there are a lot of guys who will be able to get a lot out of Baker, but this guy would've had a pretty high probability of creating a sh*tstorm.

Great offensive coach?  Maybe.  But totally not worth the risk at this point.

20 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Yeah Gus Frerotte, Sage Rosenfels, Joey Harrington and Cleo Lemon were his Qb’s.

Saban or not, it’s the nfl and you need a whole to win.

Luckily our next HC will have one of those.

In the NFL, unless very lucky, you can't win anything of consequence without a franchise QB. There are exceptions, but typically. Saban failed because he had crap QBs. Now there is an argument that he was too much of a hard *** for pro players, but that's not Dabo's style. Dabo is a servant leadership type who keeps football fun, similar to Pete Carroll. 

Archived