THE QUEST FOR THE DC/OC Beginneth!

MistaBohmbastic

1 hour ago, Fatgerman said:

Not saying this is going to happen, but maybe Dorsey convinces Gregg to take on the mantle of being our **** Lebeau. Make him a fixture on defense for Browns like Lebeau was for Pittsburgh all them years. Gregg seems like the kind of guy who just needs his ego stroked, so stroke it, stroke it real good.

No but I also stated earlier that it wouldn’t be a good move to keep Greg on staff. It could create a weird dynamic with the new HC unless that new HC has an amazing relationship with Williams but I don’t think there is a candidate like that out there. It’s either Gregg Williams becomes HC or he coaches else where. I like Greg Williams but I don’t think he is the future of this franchise as a HC. This might be one of the rare times that the browns might be one of the best landing spots with all there young talent and legit GM all in place.

Just now, buno67 said:

No but I also stated earlier that it wouldn’t be a good move to keep Greg on staff. It could create a weird dynamic with the new HC unless that new HC has an amazing relationship with Williams but I don’t think there is a candidate like that out there. It’s either Gregg Williams becomes HC or he coaches else where. I like Greg Williams but I don’t think he is the future of this franchise as a HC. This might be one of the rare times that the browns might be one of the best landing spots with all there young talent and legit GM all in place.

I agree. I really like Greg Williams a lot but I dont think hes the future at HC and I think that could cause another Hue and Haley debacle with a power struggle which I think we can all agree is no good. 

37 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I don’t love it or hate it per se, but you have to know when to tone it down a bit or folks will start to tune you out.

He seems to have a good idea as to how to do that though, but we’ll see.

What I liked personally was that he got that angry over effort. I don’t like coaches yelling and cursing over a missed assignment, but effort is something I’m 100% cool with chewing somebody out over.

For how much these guys get paid, effort should NEVER be an issue.

13 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

What I liked personally was that he got that angry over effort. I don’t like coaches yelling and cursing over a missed assignment, but effort is something I’m 100% cool with chewing somebody out over.

This I agree with, you have to know how to pick your battles.

I’m cool with a coach picking effort as an issue too.

10 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Yeah mental issues happen, you can coach a guy up over not knowing a play or help them with a missed assignement. Not   Playing with effort is BS! Always told players if you make a mistake, you better make it going 100% balls to the walls cause effort like that can make up for mistakes. 

I’ve seen guys get coached up in film sessions for mistakes but seen guys absolutely destroyed for getting caught being lazy on film. 

When I was a JV DC I used to tell my players on Saturdays, I want 11 guys going all out, if you don’t know what to do, ill call the plays you know but just give me effort. 

Nothing is more infuriating than seeing talent being lazy

I get not wanting Gregg to be the head coach after this season. I also think Dorsey saying they will interview Gregg makes sense.

At the very least, Gregg has done a nice job developing Peppers, Garrett, Ward, Ogbah, and Ogunjobi. Those guys have all improved since their first week, and in a few cases, quite significantly. 

Additionally, Gregg's defense works really well with good players. Analytically, it makes sense, because it prevents long gains while trying to push the offense backwards. The problem is that Gregg is inflexible and the defense does not work with mediocre-or-worse players. Moreover, those player will all individually fall behind, mainly because the defensive strategy requires thinking and constant adjustments.

With that said, we are compiling the talent to run this defensive scheme, and I think it's fair to see how they look. Consequently, I at least would like for Gregg to remain on the staff.

Nonetheless, it is very possible that the new HC wants to use his own people, and I am fine with that as long as it does not mean a switch back to the 3-4.

36 minutes ago, jking948 said:

I get not wanting Gregg to be the head coach after this season. I also think Dorsey saying they will interview Gregg makes sense.

At the very least, Gregg has done a nice job developing Peppers, Garrett, Ward, Ogbah, and Ogunjobi. Those guys have all improved since their first week, and in a few cases, quite significantly. 

Additionally, Gregg's defense works really well with good players. Analytically, it makes sense, because it prevents long gains while trying to push the offense backwards. The problem is that Gregg is inflexible and the defense does not work with mediocre-or-worse players. Moreover, those player will all individually fall behind, mainly because the defensive strategy requires thinking and constant adjustments.

With that said, we are compiling the talent to run this defensive scheme, and I think it's fair to see how they look. Consequently, I at least would like for Gregg to remain on the staff.

Nonetheless, it is very possible that the new HC wants to use his own people, and I am fine with that as long as it does not mean a switch back to the 3-4.

A lot of ppl think the same way. Gregg should be given a shot to interview for HC position at the end of the year. 

IMO Gregg either gets the job or coaches else where. It could create a weird dynamic for a young/first year HC IMO. If things don’t start of right. Players might look up to Gregg more than the HC. The HC could lose the team. Either the Browns hire someone who is very close to Gregg, I don’t see a candidate like that or hire a very seasoned Vet HC. Those are the only ways you could keep Gregg on staff. If not they need to separate from him and let the New guy make his own mark. I think the only HC that could keep him on staff would be McCarthy. 

23 hours ago, candyman93 said:

i see this a lot.  i think its pretty reductionist.  theres a bunch of reasons for effort issues (is my voice heard? am i being respected?). not everyones motivated by money.  

If you get to play football for a living you should consider yourself incredibly lucky and enjoy the hell out of it before all those hits take their toll and you're no longer a functioning human at around aged 50 (when, inexplicably, you'll be destitute and offering 5 dollar blowies down by the lake).

1 hour ago, mistakey said:

i see this a lot.  i think its pretty reductionist.  theres a bunch of reasons for effort issues (is my voice heard? am i being respected?). not everyones motivated by money.  

Especially since they get paid regardless. They don't get paid a bonus per tackle, per sack, per touchdown ect.

1 hour ago, mistakey said:

12 minutes ago, TheeRealDeal said:

Especially since they get paid regardless. They don't get paid a bonus per tackle, per sack, per touchdown ect.

I get your points, but lack of effort is never excusable.

At a minimum it’s certainly valid reason for a coach to get in someone’s arse.

47 minutes ago, Mega Ron said:

If you get to play football for a living you should consider yourself incredibly lucky and enjoy the hell out of it before all those hits take their toll and you're no longer a functioning human at around aged 50 (when, inexplicably, you'll be destitute and offering 5 dollar blowies down by the lake).

Glad to see you made it to the Muni lot on your visit Ron.

Archived