THE QUEST FOR THE DC/OC Beginneth!

MistaBohmbastic

3 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Darrell Hazell never coached for Toledo

Correct... Kent State not Toledo for Darrell Hazell....

You think that Matt Campbell is a top tier NFL HC candidate?

The Paul Rhoades era was trash indeed.

My Quote "He's had moderate success at Iowa State (going 8-5 after a 3-9 season revamping the program). This year they are 4-3 have won some big games against ranked opponents (WVU and OKst)"

I meant to remove the word moderate as I gave him credit for revamping the program and winning big games against ranked opponents this year.

My point saying "they might not win more than 7 games".... means that our number 1 coaching candidate would be a 3, 8, and 7 win HC revamping a downtrodden program, and not really winning big. They'll beat Incarnate Word, Kansas, and Kansas State, but likely lose to Texas and Baylor. That's 7 wins... 8 possibly with Bowl game or against Baylor is possible.

There are tons of downtrodden programs that get revamped by young college coaches. Happens all the time. These coaches get pushed up the college coach latter.

This does not mean they are an elite candidate for an NFL HC/CEO position.

Knowing the specifics about Campbell... he's more PJ Fleck row the boat successful stuff than a sustainable elite organizational leadership CEO that his ready to take on leadership of an NFL organization.

@Kiwibrown

***For me, I don't care how great of an OC or DC the coach is if they can't be an effective CEO

My Essentials for a Browns Head Coach are:

1.) What is the Quality of Teaching/Coaching of the Staff they will hire?

2.) Will the philosophies and adaptability of the OC and QB coach mesh well with Baker Mayfield and elevate/develop his game?

3.) As a HC are they an inspirational football teachers? Can they inspire sacrifice,buy-in and commitment from grown men, instill discipline and mental toughness, hire/motivate/coach up elite coaches on their staff, and remain in control under the toxic sports environment that is Cleveland sports?

4.) Are the DC and defensive coaches that come along with the HC likely to get the most out of our young talent like Myles Garret?

------------

With all that in mind, my top candidates are:

Top-Tier Candidates as Strong CEOs/Full Spectrum Program Leaders With Ability to Hire Elite Staffs at OC/DC/ST/QBC

1.) Mike McCarthy

2.) David Shaw

--------------

The Elite CEO Head Coach with Concerns over Staff Hire Impact

3.) Dave Toub

-------------------

The Innovative Offensive/Mind OC/HC+Strong CEO Qualities with Concerns over Staff Hire Impact

4.) Chris Peterson

5.) Lincoln Riley

6.) Eric Bieniemy

7.) Dan Mullen

-------------------

Jim Harbaugh, Jim Schwartz, Josh McDaniels types are too emotionally volatile and ego-driven for an effective CEO life with the Browns imo.

John DeFillipo is not even close to the CEO types as his interviews and presence have been really bad in past interviews. This is known in a lot of scouting communities.

Jeremy Bates types are not it.

@Mind Character

I agree with your premise of leadership being more important than technical skills.

I think that is pat shurmurs failure. Terry Pluto called him a beta male in an alpha male league. That seems like it could be flips rap as well, like you said.

Mike McCarthy seems to be too neutered for my liking in Green Bay by A-Rod. I think he knows deep down they would choose a rod over him 100 times out of 100. 

David Shaw is an interesting name. He has done well at whatever ivy league school he coaches. 

If the Dallas job becomes available, I dont think  we have a shot at Lincoln Reilly, he is the hottest name in coaching. 

I dont think there will be as much of a turnover of coaches this year as previous, all of the bad teams got new coaches. 

Broncos might get a new guy, I think Dirk keeps his job, we should at least get the second best candidate available this year. Or even the best, or hottest. 

45 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

@Mind Character

I agree with your premise of leadership being more important than technical skills.

I think that is pat shurmurs failure. Terry Pluto called him a beta male in an alpha male league. That seems like it could be flips rap as well, like you said.

Mike McCarthy seems to be too neutered for my liking in Green Bay by A-Rod. I think he knows deep down they would choose a rod over him 100 times out of 100. 

David Shaw is an interesting name. He has done well at whatever ivy league school he coaches. 

If the Dallas job becomes available, I dont think  we have a shot at Lincoln Reilly, he is the hottest name in coaching. 

I dont think there will be as much of a turnover of coaches this year as previous, all of the bad teams got new coaches. 

Broncos might get a new guy, I think Dirk keeps his job, we should at least get the second best candidate available this year. Or even the best, or hottest. 

Dallas and Houston could both open up and be more attractive to Riley. 

I think he is a candidate but I don’t think he is a top tier guy. A desperate team looking to take a chance might go after him. He is high risk high rewards. 

To me the browns won’t be the desperate team this time around. Desperate Browns leads to crap coaches like Chud and Pettine 

20 minutes ago, Fatgerman said:

Just heard Zac Jackson on the Fan say his buddy, I believe at yahoo sports, told him that Dabo would be open to this job. About floored Ken Carmen!

Now THAT would be an interesting hire. If you want a college coach who’s young and innovative, he’s the guy. He’s young too and built Clemson from nothing.

6 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Now THAT would be an interesting hire. If you want a college coach who’s young and innovative, he’s the guy. He’s young too and built Clemson from nothing.

I'm telling ya. I think people, even some on this board, underestimate the allure of Baker and the doors he can open. We have a top notch FO, IMO and the opinion of many national pundits, a franchise QB with Favre-like leadership qualities, a franchise pass rusher, huge cap space, athleticism to spare, one of the youngest teams yet super talented...

This is a highly attractive job. Only piece missing is the HC.

37 minutes ago, Fatgerman said:

Just heard Zac Jackson on the Fan say his buddy, I believe at yahoo sports, told him that Dabo would be open to this job. About floored Ken Carmen!

16 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

I’d be shocked if Dabo left Clemson.

He looks like the next Urban or Saban tbh, why risk that?

33 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

I don’t know about Dabo being a NFL guy

But one should be directed at owner Jimmy Haslam, because these personality conflicts have now happened repeatedly (Joe Banner/Mike Lombardi, Ray Farmer/Mike Pettine, Sashi Brown/Jackson) on his watch. Part of hiring, of course, is finding people who can work together, and Haslam has had trouble there.

Read this and thought it was interesting. Toub would be the safest hiring. He can just poach a bunch of KC guys to fill his staff.

7 hours ago, TypicalBrowns10 said:

I'm on boat for the young offensive guy as it seems most are. 

My dark horse is Arians gets his dream job.

--As far as Campbell is concerned, I read an article that says he is probably more likely to be Ohio St. next head coach if/when Urban leaves after this season or next.

--Arians has been my dream candidate since the beginning of the season, however since he is retired and on a TV contract, I highly doubt he steps away from that and unretires for the Cleveland Browns. However, I did notice the ties between Freddie Kitchen/Bruce Arians in that video @Kiwibrown  posted last night so maybe there is a small chance that might make him think about it a tiny bit? IDK.

Archived