Should the Packers move on from Mike McCarthy?

TheBitzMan

Just now, TheBitzMan said:

If the Browns wanted to trade for McCarthy what round pick would you accept?

Right now?  A first and second round pick.

At the end of the season if we don't make the playoffs?  A Coke.  And I don't drink soda. 

10 minutes ago, TheBitzMan said:

If the Browns wanted to trade for McCarthy what round pick would you accept?

Now would be better than waiting till the end of the season.  Someone mentioned earlier that we could put Pettine in as interim HC and let Philbin and Rodgers call the plays.  Yes, it would be disruptive mid-season, but Cleveland needs a HC now and Dorsey would give more than Mac is worth now.  We'll be just fine down the line.  Bring in McDaniels at the end of the season - he knows how to handle Diva QB's and run an offense.  His Denver tenure happened too soon in his career - he's probably wiser now for the experience.

13 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Now would be better than waiting till the end of the season.  Someone mentioned earlier that we could put Pettine in as interim HC and let Philbin and Rodgers call the plays.  Yes, it would be disruptive mid-season, but Cleveland needs a HC now and Dorsey would give more than Mac is worth now.  We'll be just fine down the line.  Bring in McDaniels at the end of the season - he knows how to handle Diva QB's and run an offense.  His Denver tenure happened too soon in his career - he's probably wiser now for the experience.

I don't see any way that the Packers would ship off McCarthy at mid-season, but the timing of the Jackson firing just a day or so before the trade deadline is interesting.  

18 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Why the literal hell would anyone want Josh McDaniels as their HC?  Did you miss the whole Colt situation last year?  Dude is borderline unhireable at this point.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

Why the literal hell would anyone want Josh McDaniels as their HC?  Did you miss the whole Colt situation last year?  Dude is borderline unhireable at this point.

I knew this was coming.  I've been watching his career like many of you, and I never said I like the guy.  He took the Denver job way to early in his career.  Fine, you fail, you learn, you grow, you move on.  The Colts thing really pi$$ed me off and I, like you, wrote him off.  Still - he's been a student of the Belichek, he's had to manage a Diva QB, and he runs a championship offense.  Put your dislike of the guy aside and tell me another guy in this league who's had that kind of success?  I have no idea if he'd work out, but if we're talking about replacing McCarthy, who you got that has McDaniel's resume - especially the managing a Diva QB piece?

Just now, Sasquatch said:

I knew this was coming.  I've been watching his career like many of you, and I never said I like the guy.  He took the Denver job way to early in his career.  Fine, you fail, you learn, you grow, you move on.  The Colts thing really pi$$ed me off and I, like you, wrote him off.  Still - he's been a student of the Belichek, he's had to manage a Diva QB, and he runs a championship offense.  Put your dislike of the guy aside and tell me another guy in this league who's had that kind of success?  I have no idea if he'd work out, but if we're talking about replacing McCarthy, who you got that has McDaniel's resume - especially the managing a Diva QB piece?

McDaniels was an interpersonal disaster in Denver.  Dude is an idiot savant- great offensive football mind but horrible leader and personnel manager.  Not head coach material, and at this point I think he knows that.

1 minute ago, Sasquatch said:

He's literally done nothing to justify the hype.  He's played under arguably the best HC in all of professional sports with one of the best QBs in history.  And when he was given the keys to a franchise, he immediately traded his franchise QB for Tim Tebow.  And I'm not a fan of Jay Cutler.  He's ruined the Broncos' franchise and then immediately quit on the Colts' franchise as well.  That's not a guy I want anywhere near the franchise, no matter how smart he is as a QB.  If we're looking for fresh blood, I'm looking directly at John DeFilippo.

Just now, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

McDaniels was an interpersonal disaster in Denver.  Dude is an idiot savant- great offensive football mind but horrible leader and personnel manager.  Not head coach material, and at this point I think he knows that.

And that's very possible.  I really don't know.  We're all spitballing here - unless you're his shrink, we're just guessing.  Admittedly his past concerns me, but I also don't know how he could last as long as he has in this league, with the success he's had, managing BB's expectations, along with Brady's diva attitude, and still be a winner.  The dude has something, and maybe it's just at a coordinator level.  Who the hell knows.  But don't for a minute think that people can't change and grow. 

Again, it comes down to this:  if you're going to dump Mac, who can manage an elite, eccentric QB and has a track record of running an elite offense?

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

He's literally done nothing to justify the hype.  He's played under arguably the best HC in all of professional sports with one of the best QBs in history.  And when he was given the keys to a franchise, he immediately traded his franchise QB for Tim Tebow.  And I'm not a fan of Jay Cutler.  He's ruined the Broncos' franchise and then immediately quit on the Colts' franchise as well.  That's not a guy I want anywhere near the franchise, no matter how smart he is as a QB.  If we're looking for fresh blood, I'm looking directly at John DeFilippo.

Yeah .. hard no on McDaniels.  DeFilippo would be the top choice of the hotshot OC's.  Any interest in Bill O'Brien is he were to get canned at seasons end?  They are playing well again, but he's always on the hot seat it seems.

Just now, Sasquatch said:

And that's very possible.  I really don't know.  We're all spitballing here - unless you're his shrink, we're just guessing.  Admittedly his past concerns me, but I also don't know how he could last as long as he has in this league, with the success he's had, managing BB's expectations, along with Brady's diva attitude, and still be a winner.  The dude has something, and maybe it's just at a coordinator level.  Who the hell knows.  But don't for a minute think that people can't change and grow. 

Again, it comes down to this:  if you're going to dump Mac, who can manage an elite, eccentric QB and has a track record of running an elite offense?

Except we're not.  We've seen him blow up the Broncos' franchise and quit on the Colts' franchise before it even began.  At what point does that outweigh what offensive genius he might be?  I'd rather take someone whose not quite as bright offensively, but isn't going to fracture the locker room.

2 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Defilippo is the easy #1 candidate for our job. Also was OC for Pettine in 2015 so we could keep the defensive staff in place and not have to start over there.

Archived