Should the Packers move on from Mike McCarthy?

TheBitzMan

Mac certainly has time to save himself, but season ends today and he's gone. The first 7 games have been unimpressive, every single game this season has had a 1-2 quarter offensive drought where we simply don't even move the ball, let alone score points. Defensively, similar, we have at least one Q a game where we crap the bed. ST has been a trainwreck, penalties, worst 3rd down to go distance coming into last week. Minimal development lately of many past draft picks.

It can all easily be erased simply by getting on the same page as Aaron and running the unstoppable offense we've seen for 8-16 game stretches throughout their time together. As of now though, not impressed enough to earn an extension, and with Mac you're either extending him or firing him. You don't run a professional football franchise with a lame duck HC.

Just now, Outpost31 said:

The masochist in me wants to see McCarthy take over for the Browns and lead them to a Super Bowl win in the third year while Rodgers has to shrug at why the super duper young offensive guru can't get him to take what the defense gives him. 

It wouldn’t surprise me in the least.  Sometimes a dude just needs a fresh start.  I’m pretty sure Mac isn’t going to move away from his usual safe place - run a conservative offensive game plan and make relatively few in-game adjustments - but his veteran, stable presence could be what Cleveland needs to cultivate all that talent.

As for Mac’s replacement - you may be right as well.  Will either Rodgers or Mac change their M.O. before their time is up?  Who knows.

Moving on from MM isn't the problem - moving on to who is the problem. Do you want a guy like Dan Devine, Bart Starr, Forrest Gregg, Lindy Infante, Ray Rhodes, or Mike Sherman ?

All of those guys were supposedly solutions to the problem. It's a fricken crapshoot. LIS elsewhere, loosely speaking, 90% of head coaches fail. For every Sean McVay there are 10 Marc Trestmans. Watch some games from last year and ask yourself if it was coaching or talent. That's the best argument I can give. I'm glad I don't have to make the decision. Choose poorly and you burn up the rest of Rodgers' career. I think I want to see one more year with the revamped receiving corps and a draft with two number picks that doesn't suck azz like TT's last few drafts which depleted the roster. Imagine adding 2 more guys with the impact of Jaire. I reserve the right to change my mind by week 17.

20 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

That's my biggest conundrum with the HC position right now. I think our defensive staff is the best since we've had Mac. Really like Pettine's aggression, his blitz package has been amazing and he doesn't even have EDGE players yet. Moss is steady and solid, I absolutely don't want to lose Joe Whitt and Graham and Montgomery are young risers in the defensive coaching ranks.

The guy is from the Reid tree which has produced Pederson, Reich and Nagy right now and seems to be the hot tree at the moment.

Yes, I like what I'm seeing on D right now.   It will be even better if we can get a serious pass rush going.

On offense it is hard to say.  Rodgers clearly isn't as mobile as he usually is and he is playing with a lot of youngsters at WR.   We really missed Geronimo and Cobb when they were out.  I think as the season progresses this team will improve on both sides of the ball.  Until then any talk of canning Mac is premature.

20 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Harbaugh is another personality that I don't know would click with Aaron. He's a chill guy who's extremely smart, he's going to want another McCarthy. Mac never let's the Pittsburgh out on Aaron. I think their relationship is failing at more of a schematic level than a personal level.

Harbaugh?  I don't want that clown either.  Let him stay at Michigan where he can be a control freak.  He wouldn't have that in GB.

18 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:

Same. But I still have confidence Rodgers ( and MM) will get the packers into the playoffs for a run so I'm not sure MM is gone.

Yes, the team would really have to drop off a cliff for that to happen.  I was impressed with how Mac got his charges ready to play against the Rams.  And if Ty doesn't have a major brain fart we win that game.

16 hours ago, Scoremore said:

Blitz you have a new GM, new Defensive coordinator, and a new Offensive coordinator.  Lot of changes.  Aaron has not played to his usual standards.  BECAUSE HE IS INJURED.  Not to hard to understand.  Guy is physically limited and unable to practice.  This makes a difference.  Can't just pretend it doesn't have an impact.  So you hire a new HC.  I would say this would set the team back at least a year as everyone has to learn a new system.  Whatever we can disagree.  I'll admit I was wrong on Capers.  Defended him up until his last year when I finally had enough.  You guys may very well get your wish.  Depends on the balance of the season.  Right now think the fire MM crowd is premature.  Unless he loses the team (which he hasn't) I still favor giving him another year to turn it around.   Lot of knowledgeable guys around here disagree.  My opinion on it for what it's worth which is not much.

Plus Aaron is playing with several new WRs and Jimmy Graham.  This takes time to gel too.

15 hours ago, Chinaski_86 said:

And if Rodgers is injured again next year, you give MM another extra year? I'm not on the "Fire MM" bandwagon, just curious.

It will depend upon what happens with this defense!  If we get an EDGE player and shore up the LBs this defense could be special so we wouldn't have to depend upon #12 to bail us out all the time.

Archived