Avengers: Infinity War

Acgott

Watched a 2nd time now.   Still loved it.   I’ll again offer the counter without spoiling that it reinforces the decisions the key guys made.  But nothing more on this thread.   

I will say it’s fun to watch ppl around gasp and cry.   Credits rolling and they are still crying their eyes out while others stunned beyond belief.   

It’s official - highest grossing opening weekend ever.   250M in NA.  Expected.   

The shocker was the global $ - 630M.  WITHOUT China.   This has a real shot to top Avatar with likely strong staying power.  Top MCU movie grosser (even adjusted) a lock.   Wow. 

On 4/28/2018 at 11:29 PM, Broncofan said:

Forgot to round back to this - I think the durability and re-viewership of Infinity wars is going to shatter any Avengers movie.  Dark Knight, maybe too in NA.

Globally, it's not even close.   This is going to crush every record.   Why?  Star Wars literally has zero popularity in Asia.   They didn't really catch on to the original trilogy back then, so it's just another series to them. 

A) you can not compare today's international market to what Avengers or especially TDK. They did make their overseas money, but it's nothing like wha is happening these days. 

B) I think I was talking more about the buzz/craziness around a film. Yes I also compared the $ and tickets. But that opening weekend for TDK was insane. I went 3 times and there was no sea available in any of them. People were going nuts before each screening. You could feel people were pumped before IW, but it just didn't feel quite the same. There is probably no movie fan base but that matches Bat-fans 

It’s okay. If you read the comics it’s basically just the prologue/opening to the crossover it’s based on. Felt like they made a smart choice using Thanos as a defacto main character because the heroes stories were too jumbled and low on plot to really carry the film. It simultaneously showed how clever they were to pull it off this way and also the weakness of doing a true full scale comic cross over event in cinema format. Which isn’t bad, most comics struggle with it and resort to tie ins. 

Basically every good thing about the movie involved Thanos. You’ll get your character moments with the heroes, but it’s all too fleeting to really ride home about. 

I think it spoke volumes that the endgame for this film basically set up so that the next film can be a lot more focused and stripped down. 

1 hour ago, StLunatic88 said:

A) you can not compare today's international market to what Avengers or especially TDK. They did make their overseas money, but it's nothing like wha is happening these days. 

B) I think I was talking more about the buzz/craziness around a film. Yes I also compared the $ and tickets. But that opening weekend for TDK was insane. I went 3 times and there was no sea available in any of them. People were going nuts before each screening. You could feel people were pumped before IW, but it just didn't feel quite the same. There is probably no movie fan base but that matches Bat-fans 

I went Sunday night at 8:30pm and the theater was sold out (pre-ordered my tickets) as was every showing of it my theater had that weekend on every screen according to the concession person I talked to while getting our popcorn.

2 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

TDK will be always one of those benchmark movies.   It changed how ppl viewed comic movies - and that it was ok to be dark, brooding and have the hero lose (ESB the only other movie that did the latter; TDK showed a non SW movie could do it too, but was unique in making the entire movie a dark experience overall).  

Avengers 1 counts as a benchmark movie too, but in a different way (that ensemble hero movies could still work).   Avengers 2 is the outcome what most ppl expect from ensemble action movies (bloated, derivative and without much impact - the cartoon cutout black hat that wasn’t that threatening another weakness when you have to dedicate screen time to so many characters).  

So yeah box office doesn’t capture what makes A1 & TDK so special.    But IW belongs there.   It’s much like Two Towers in the LOTR trilogy.  Is it perfect in all counts?  No, but even ESB / TDK / A1 has flaws (even the all time great movies in general have some).    That doesn’t make them any less of a classic.   Same with IW.  

I’d be floored if A4 is even better.   That would be mind blowing.  

Archived