Preseason Week 2: New York Giants @ Cleveland Browns

Acgott

With every game the Yankees blow in devastating fashion, I am getting more and more pumped for football season! I missed most of the first game so I'm looking forward to seeing the team tonight. Out of nowhere, the DE spots seem to have become the most interesting position battle on the team. There are A LOT of guys for only a few spots and they all have benefits and drawbacks. The Giants seemingly have 4 DE spots locked up with OV/JPP/Okwara/Moss, which means previous roster guys (Wynn, OO) and some new contenders with legitimate NFL experience (J. Williams, D. Taylor). Will they keep 5 DEs or 6? It probably depends on Avery Moss. If he can show that he is ready to contribute in Year 1, they can get away with 5 but if he needs time to develop they may need to carry 6 guys. Regardless or 5 or 6, I'd expect #5 spot to go to either Kerry Wynn or Jordan Williams. They need a versatile guy who can play inside or outside, which means we could be short on pure pass rushers. The Giants have to be really strategic with these DL roster spots as none of them figure to be practice squad candidates. I'll be looking for 1 or 2 of them to make some noise tonight.

Other than that, it's really important to see this offense start to move a bit better and finish in the red zone. I'm very nervous that we'll be hearing a lot of "same old giants" this season if they can't get themselves right on offense. 

I'll start with the obvious negative - We once again will not have a running game.  Our only attempt to fix the worst running game in the league this offseason was signing DJ Fluker, who has been playing with second stringers.  Richburg is way overrated by many Giant fans.  He gets no push.  Jerry is big but too unathletic to move people.  Our only hope is going to be to line up Rhett Ellison next to Flowers and run off that left side.  We also passed on some talented running backs.  The Saints signed Adrian Peterson for like 4.5 million IIRC.  Joe Mixon is going to be a stud. Alvin Kamara has looked explosive.  Kareem Hunt has looked good in KC.  Perkins is a below average starting back, playing behind one of the worst run blocking lines in the NFL.  Prepare for more of the same.

The good news is that we may finally have a play maker at linebacker in BJ Goodson.  Second straight week he has shot the gap and gotten a sack.  He certainly looks the part, as Gruden pointed out as well during the broadcast.

Archived