Demaryius Thomas bracing for trade out of Denver

DigInBoys

It's been a fantastic run for Thomas in Denver.  He was a guy who wasnt solely a product of Peyton Manning and likely would have been great anywhere due to his size, hands, and run after the catch ability.  He won Tim Tebow a playoff game lol.  I hope he gets traded to a contender because he deserves it at this point in time

Needs to happen. He deserves to finish his career with a contender, Denver needs the future cap relief and to get Sutton on the field as much as possible. 

I think it's possible this is DT's last year. He has really been beat up over the years and played through it all. At this point he's a big-bodied possession receiver who runs great routes. Come a long way from the big athletic freak from a triple option offense. 

DT leaves with nothing but love from me and pretty much the entire DEN fanbase.   But @BroncoBruin has the current skill set description down perfectly.   He’s certainly not worth 14M next year (although at 4.5M for RoS it’s not outrageous we aren’t contenders with him).   

Given he’s likely no better than a 2018 rental who won’t net a huge comp pick back even if he returns for 2019 on a 3rd team I’d be happy with a 5th rd pick to be honest.  

The talk of a 3rd seems really unrealistic.  I guess it only takes 1 GM to panic but that seems like a huge overpay for a possession WR who’s a rental.  Garçon isn’t a whole lot different (health and lack of RZ chops are important differentiators) but he seems like he’d be even cheaper.   So I guess we see who blinks first.  

2 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

Would Broncos accept a 2019 5th rounder that can turn into a 4th rounder for him?

Without anything back?  I’d think so.  Obv depends on if someone else is offering a 4th straight up.  I don’t think he fits what HOU needs though - a lid lifter.  He isn’t that burner type anymore.   

The issue is that there is no way DEN is keeping DT for 2019 cap wise and Sutton needs to take over his future X position.  And DeSean Hamilton really is a slot only guy who ideally fits in the slot.  So coming out of the deadline with DT still on the roster is a huge L for Elway and the org, they dearly want to have Sanders / Sutton / Hamilton as the starting 3 for the RoS.   They can't justify benching DT with the vets, he's still the 2nd/3rd best WR right now (Sutton's more talented, but misses routes/assignments, the stuff we don't see, why DT is still in the X).   Trading him removes all the sticky locker room dynamics in playing Sutton / Hamilton in 3-WR sets with Sanders.

Unless 2 teams get into a bidding war Elway holding out for a 3rd seems like very wishful thinking.  Guess we will see by 4 PM ET today.  

Denver is a bad team and DT's career is winding down. I hate dealing him, but he deserves to spend his last (Or second to last) season on a contender. I will be quite dissapointed if we ship him anywhere but a team that he is excited to play for. I usually dont feel that way, but he is a legacy player in Denver.

He apparently doesnt really want to be traded as he loves living in Denver, but his career is so close to retirement I think he would sing a different tune once he gets a taste of winning again. Then in a year or two he can just move back. Best of both worlds.

Archived