GDT Week 9: Baltimore Ravens vs pittsberg steelers

DreamKid

No Running Game? Check.

No Pass Protection? Check.

Trick/Jackson Package Plays Not Working? Check.

Questionable Play Calling & Personnel Usage? Check.

Defense Gives up 10 of 15 3rd Downs? Check.

No Pass Rush, or Holding Calls? Check.

No Defensive Adjustments? Check.

Poor Tackling? Check.

Okay, now go win a game fellas. 

16 minutes ago, Danand said:

I am shaking my head, I am shaking my head so much it hurts. Every solution is "FIRE THIS GUY, FIRE THAT GUY, FIRE SOMEBODY", it makes so little sense.

I've never once said we should fire Harbaugh except for right now. The team needs a change. He will not be here next year unless the Ravens go on some miracle run. 

I've been a huge Harbaugh fan. I think he'll find work no problem in January. I just believe the Ravens need a culture change. 

20 minutes ago, Danand said:

I am shaking my head, I am shaking my head so much it hurts. Every solution is "FIRE THIS GUY, FIRE THAT GUY, FIRE SOMEBODY", it makes so little sense.

So the solution to the ongoing mediocrity is to do nothing?

its obvious offensive and defensive schemes have been figured out by week 4 and Ravens coordinators are too bad to adjust and get creative. that is hurting the team big time, more than the personell on the field iyam. nobody gives a flying S for Flacco lining up at WR. anybody knows LJ will not throw the ball when lined up under center. anybody knows Ravens D relies on the Blitz to bring pressure but at the same time gives up the middle of the field for anybody able to catch the ball. 

These are the same Ravens. Literally nothing has changed since last year, except now we don't have a run game.

Our tackling technique seems to just be to dive at the ground 1 yard away from guys and hope we trip them in the process.

Our blitz philosphy is to allow free releases to the inside and hope they drop the quick slant throw that's coming out.

Our run philosophy is...idk what our philosophy is anymore but it sucks.

Our passing philosophy is to throw hitch routes and check downs 5 yards short of the marker.

Our coaching philosophy is to blame everything on injuries (see below).

Just now, DreamKid said:

Right on time.

I understand that both our Starting Tackles were out. I don't care. This needs to stop.

Who would've guessed that the kind of not taking accountability doesn't take accountability. I, for one, am shocked. SHOCKED. Harbaugh continues to get severely out coached in every phase of the game and the only response is "Well...injuries!". Injuries didn't allow dudes to run open all over our secondary all day. Injuries didn't hinder our pass rush (unless Tim Williams is our entire pass rush). Injuries didn't miss TWO open touchdowns on easy throws because he's literally incapable of going through progressions. Injuries haven't plagued our run game. Injuries didn't give the ball to Lamar Jackson on an obvious run play on 3rd and 2. Injuries didn't allow Josh Dobbs to complete an easy pass on 2nd and 20. Injuries didn't allow a 1st down on 3rd and 9 right before the half when we could've got the ball back.

I'm ******* sick of this garbage from Harbaugh and the ******* excuses.

So obviously as a Steeler fan, I don't follow Baltimore week in and week out. So if you don't mind me asking, do you feel that JH is actually the problem or is it Coordinators and if it's Coodinators specifically is John the one hiring them or is it the GM/Ownership?

Do you feel that there is a lack of talent on the team or simply a misuse of the talent they have?  I was surprised John Brown wasn't more of a factor today given that he was a huge factor in the first meeting. 

2 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

So obviously as a Steeler fan, I don't follow Baltimore week in and week out. So if you don't mind me asking, do you feel that JH is actually the problem or is it Coordinators and if it's Coodinators specifically is John the one hiring them or is it the GM/Ownership?

Specifically, I think Harbaugh is part of the problem. But yes, he is the one who has hired the coordinators (and defended them relentlessly until FORCED to fire them). Ozzie and Bisciotti generally stay out of those decisions.

Do you feel that there is a lack of talent on the team or simply a misuse of the talent they have?  I was surprised John Brown wasn't more of a factor today given that he was a huge factor in the first meeting. 

Misuse of talent, for sure. But also the talent we have is massively overrated by our own fans and generally speaking we have a massive void of superstar talent. We have a lot of "good" players, but that's about it. Nothing more than "good", and certainly no one showing any signs of anything special.

6 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Specifically, I think Harbaugh is part of the problem. But yes, he is the one who has hired the coordinators (and defended them relentlessly until FORCED to fire them). Ozzie and Bisciotti generally stay out of those decisions.

Misuse of talent, for sure. But also the talent we have is massively overrated by our own fans and generally speaking we have a massive void of superstar talent. We have a lot of "good" players, but that's about it. Nothing more than "good", and certainly no one showing any signs of anything special.

Thanks for the honest response.  I love these rival games, I "hate" the Ravens, just like you guys hate the Steelers but it's easy to respect them, these matchups are always brutal.  So obviously, whatever the issues, I actually DO want the organization to fix them because this is a rivalry that doesn't deserve to die.

Just now, wwhickok said:

Thanks for the honest response.  I love these rival games, I "hate" the Ravens, just like you guys hate the Steelers but it's easy to respect them, these matchups are always brutal.  So obviously, whatever the issues, I actually DO want the organization to fix them because this is a rivalry that doesn't deserve to die.

I feel the same. Hate but respect the Steelers and this rivalry is fun when both teams are competitive. Sure, I bet we both love decimating the other, but I also love the close, intense matchups. Right now, our team has no physical/tough identity at all. No one's willing to lay big hits and we're just a timid, scared team.

Even if we don't move on from Harbaugh it's not continuity. There is a full draft class and some free agent signings coming in each year.

I think people are trying to make the problem more broad and overreaching than it is. Our running game is terri-bad right now. The reason we aren't dead last in the efficiency metrics there is because of the Lamar Jackson plays (and cuz the Cardinals exist). Our actual running backs running the ball in base offensive packages is sink hole this year. It's sad because we were able to do it last year and it was failure to have even a near average passing game that kept us out the playoffs. We have that now. The recievers we brought in worked out as well as we could have hope and we got a hit on at least one of our rookie tight ends. If we had a running game, we would be in good shape right now. If we had managed to get/decided to draft Phillip Lindsey... it could really be that simple. This was EXACTLY what I was worried about after the draft, and if you remember DeCosta's press conferences, he repeatedly mentioned how he missed on improving the RB position, and that they might still make a move there (they didn't). 

There are tangible areas that could be improved. I'm not looking for philosophical answers. Just like last year, we have an obvious phase that is sinking this team. 

55 minutes ago, paraven said:

jackson sucks, he obviously isnt good enough day to day in practice to be trusted to throw the ball or else he would more. i doubt he is the solution to the ravens issues

He might not be the solution now, but he can be down the road. The issues he need to fix can be fixed. The x-factor he has can somewhat do what Flacco is doing with some passes. Jackson most likely will be just as a polarizing QB as Flacco has been, as he will be able to play like a world beater on one play and then throw the ball into the ground on the next play.

Archived