Trade Deadline Thread - DT To Houston for 4th Rd pick and 7th rd swap

Broncofan

2 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

A+ return.   Let's get a 5th/6th for Ray, and a 4th for Roby?  One can dream!

All indications are that Roby is 100% not getting re-signed and Yiadom needs to see the field. That one should be as much of a no-brainer as trading DT. Teams are always looking for corners, and Roby is at least an average 2 (I think the regression from Talib skews our fanbase's perspective on what his value actually is relative to the rest of the league).

10 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Not true - he got Wolfe extended in-season in 2015-16 (while we were still in the playoffs) and had offered the same earlier to Malik Jackson (who declined and chased the money).   He has offered team-friendly deals to guys in-season in the final year of their contracts, if no one wants it, then he waits. 

Now, Elway doesn't offer in between the 3rd-4th year, that's very true.   That's the whole discussion we had on Paradis - whether to extend him during TC, or wait during in-season/offseason.   

What I said is true. Wolfe and Jackson had already played out their contracts an were a few months from FA. 

We don't extend while a player still has a year on his contract. 

4 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

If there aren't any rumors, they're probably not looking to trade him. 

Hard to believe that. Maybe he's not a valuable piece for suitors - but I'd think he'd at lease garner some interest from a contender looking for a 1yr rental.

We'd save $8.5m by cutting him this offseason. Pretty much a no-brainer. Why not get something out of him? (if we can...)

13 minutes ago, bMiller031 said:

Hard to believe that. Maybe he's not a valuable piece for suitors - but I'd think he'd at lease garner some interest from a contender looking for a 1yr rental.

We'd save $8.5m by cutting him this offseason. Pretty much a no-brainer. Why not get something out of him? (if we can...)

I feel like he's a JAG at this point. 

25 minutes ago, bMiller031 said:

Why aren't there more Derek Wolfe rumors?

I think Wolfe is a locker room “glue” guy. DT was as well and you can’t trade all of them. I think DT’s trade was as much about a salary dump and gettting Sutton on the field more. We don’t have a waiting-in-the-wings replacement for Wolfe.  

As for DT he was much maligned, both fairly and unfairly at times, but he is an all-time great Bronco and someone who was teriffic in the community.  Thanks, DT. 

1 minute ago, MakeDenverGreatAgain said:

Ben Allbright on Twitter saying Shane Ray may be moved. God I hope so, just another bust in Elway's long list of misses. 

Ray has never been able to stay healthy and thus get in a rhythm. His weight has always fluctuated and that has impacted what role he can have. I had high hopes for Ray when he was drafted, he had a nice career at Missouri against SEC competition and he tested well. He’s a player I think a change of scenery would greatly benefit. 

10 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Ray has never been able to stay healthy and thus get in a rhythm. His weight has always fluctuated and that has impacted what role he can have. I had high hopes for Ray when he was drafted, he had a nice career at Missouri against SEC competition and he tested well. He’s a player I think a change of scenery would greatly benefit. 

I thought Elway got good value when Ray was drafted, but I never saw him as more than a Robert Ayers type, and we all now how well that worked out. It's also my main concern with Bradley Chubb. I don't doubt that he'll be a solid player for this team, but not a player that lives up to his top 5 draft billing. Hopefully I'm wrong, though. 

50 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

What I said is true. Wolfe and Jackson had already played out their contracts an were a few months from FA. 

We don't extend while a player still has a year on his contract. 

Sure but a Barrett offer now while he’s playing out his final year  is clearly something Elway has done before.  That was the original point. 

Archived