Broncos finalizing trade Demaryius Thomas to Texans for 4th rounder

49erurtaza

A 4th?   Wow, great deal for us.

HOU would never have done this without Fuller injury.  And I do think they'd have been better off to trade for a true burner - unless Coutee is out longer than expected.   But they are getting a box-out, precise-pattern runner who's still a good RZ threat (just not a burner or YAC guy anymore).   Win-win for both sides.

And the fact it's HOU@DEN this week is no coincidence.    This really helps HOU's chances to win, since they will know the DEN playbook (the playcalling and terms will no doubt change).   And it allows DEN to say goodbye to 88 in a very classy way.

Finally, we didn't give away DT - which really, could have been justified given his 14M 2019 salary was never being picked up.  Great work by Elway given the hand he was played.   Good upgrade for HOU, albeit an imperfect one.   But they are getting a class act.    Nothing but love and respect for what he did in DEN.

6 minutes ago, patriotsheatyan said:

Would they have Hopkins, Thomas, and Fuller next year?

They have over 100 million in space next year, I think. If they want all three of those guys next year, tehy can certainly have them. 

2 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Kind of a weird fit. I wonder if they were looking at DeSean Jackson, who makes a lot more sense as a Fuller replacement. 

The GM and coach are fighting for their coaching lives, so although D-Jax asked to be traded before Week 8, the GM said it was a no-go.  Definitely to our benefit there, the other main competition was apparently Pierre Garçon, who definitely doesn't help any more than DT deep (he's probably headed to WAS now, if I were to guess).   By being the first to sell WR today, I suspect we'll be the ones with the highest return.  For all the criticism Elway's rightfully earned for whiffing on QB evaluation, he does get an A+ for this deal, got max value.

Now if he can deal Roby & Ray, we've really sped up our 2019-20 rebuild a lot.  

1 minute ago, Forge said:

They have over 100 million in space next year, I think. If they want all three of those guys next year, tehy can certainly have them. 

The big issue IMO is that Fuller is less than 50-50 to be ready by Week 1.   ACL alone, it's 50-50.  But he's also had chronic hamstring issues - that's not a problem that an ACL recovery improves with rest.   If I were to bet, I'd say it's likely he hits PUP.   So the DT acquisition, while there was zero chance we'd have kept him at 14M, well, it's going to be 50-50 if they keep him at 14M (maybe they get him to agree to a 10M base and 4M in incentives).   

With Coutee, though, it really gives Watson 4 weapons to use next year.  The issue is right now, DT isn't a great slot guy.  So Coutee becomes a deep threat from the slot, and DT a short - middle area guy from the Z position (Hopkins is playing the X).    It's do-able, but their playbook's going to have to change a little (to a lot).  Still, the Texans are 5-3, and have the inside track to the AFCS title.  So it's a move they had to make after losing Fuller.

Archived