Demaryius Thomas to Texans

amazingandre

Big-bodied possession receiver who runs great routes. Not very explosive anymore, not very physical at the catch point and his hands can be maddeningly inconsistent. Still, he's a pretty solid #2 at this stage and will be great in the locker rom. Glad he didn't end up in New England. 

First off, I'll wait for official confirmation.  Rappaport was the source for the bogus Josh Gordon "disciplined" story yesterday.  These dudes are never held accountable for all the times they are "first" on a story but wrong.

Second, I love it.  Congrats to Gaine for making a necessary move for a veteran #2 as this offense clearly operates on all cylinders when Watson is spreading the ball around and not just forcing balls to Nuk. The deep threat opens up our run game which in turn opens up the deep shots like last week. Coutee is clearly best suited for the slot and the specific close to the line stuff that has worked when he's healthy and frankly I really hope we hold him out until the bye to get him finally healed for the stretch run.  Coates has the wheels which I'd like to see brought out a few times a game even with Thomas who's certainly not blowing the top of d's anymore, but the preseason showed that he's dangerous but the inconsistent route running and hands make him too unreliable as an every down guy.  Vyncint Smith really is just a practice squad level project, not someone a team trending to a playoff run should be giving meaningful snaps to outside of practice or garbage time.  Having been a disappointed Damaryius Thomas fantasy owner in years past it's easy to be down on his production as a former top 5 WR, but the reality is that last year with Simeon and Brock was still better than any #2 we've had here 83 / 949 /5. Yes, Fuller is great when healthy, but we've gone from 13 games to 10 to 7 healthy games with him and a durable option like Thomas would have been a great pickup, even if Fuller hadn't gotten hurt.  I think Thomas has way more left in the tank at 30 than has been shown by his shoddy QB play and his lack of deep plays could easily just reflect noodle arms like Simeon and Case or noodle brain like Brock.  As a locker room guy and steadying presence he brings everything Dez would have damaged.  BTW - We still have cap to burn this year and next, so this isn't necessarily a rental, but we'd likely restructure that $14m with complete leverage since he carries no cap hit to cut.

It has been maddening to watch quality vets move for mid round picks in past seasons while we hold onto 4th and 5th rounders that turn into Treston Decoud, KJ Dillon, Keith Mumphrey throw aways.  Gaine did more late as Ejiofor, Jordan Thomas, and Kalambayi have all been solid contributors, but even if they continue to improve, they are unlikely to contribute as much as D. Thomas can in half a season this year.  As a first place team with a last place schedule in a down season for our division our time to strike is now, and it's nice to see us finally moving with some semblance of urgency to do more than just build for future seasons.  Personally, I hope we still go out and get a CB although I think we'll just count on Colvin and Wright to return for a secondary that has held up remarkably well due to the massive improvement at safety.

8 minutes ago, Apollo Stallion said:

First off, I'll wait for official confirmation.  Rappaport was the source for the bogus Josh Gordon "disciplined" story yesterday.  These dude are never held accountable for all the times they are "first" on a story but wrong.

Schefter confirmed it, so I think it's a done deal.

3 minutes ago, ET80 said:

So what number will be wear? 88 is Jordan Akins...

$61 million in career earnings and 10 seasons buys some leverage over a rook who would probably take a few steak dinners to move to 89.  Thomas was 8 at tech and we have almost all of our 80's open aside from the TEs (83, 84, 88). 

1 minute ago, Apollo Stallion said:

$61 million in career earnings and 10 seasons buys some leverage over a rook who would probably take a few steak dinners to move to 89.  Thomas was 8 at tech and we have almost all of our 80's open aside from the TEs (83, 84, 88). 

Doesn't the league have a rule about mid season number changes? I vaguely remember something like this, but could be wrong.

I wonder if he plays Sunday against the Broncos, that could be interesting. He comes in at a great time. Maybe he can get some run Sunday and then have the bye week to really get in and learn the playbook and so on. 

I dont like the 4th round pick we gave up. That seems a bit steep for 8 games of a #2 WR. Coutee looks really good for a long time to come, maybe not a 1,000 yard WR, but hes gonna man that slot on the cheap for the next 4 years minimum. DT costs a lot of money. If we keep him next year, its gonna be a huge cap hit, if we dont keep him we traded a 4th and we burn 3.5 million next year just to cut him. 

I guess going all in. 

1 hour ago, Pastor Dillon said:

I wonder if he plays Sunday against the Broncos, that could be interesting. He comes in at a great time. Maybe he can get some run Sunday and then have the bye week to really get in and learn the playbook and so on. 

I dont like the 4th round pick we gave up. That seems a bit steep for 8 games of a #2 WR. Coutee looks really good for a long time to come, maybe not a 1,000 yard WR, but hes gonna man that slot on the cheap for the next 4 years minimum. DT costs a lot of money. If we keep him next year, its gonna be a huge cap hit, if we dont keep him we traded a 4th and we burn 3.5 million next year just to cut him. 

I guess going all in. 

oh he definitely is playing. 

Archived