Golden Tate traded to Eagles

49erurtaza

4 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Nice. This reads less and less as a pure "8 game rental." Positive way to look at it is that we get to a tryout a guy who could be a top notch slot WR for us over the next couple years... if we don't like what we see, oh well, should tell us a little more about what types of WRs work and don't work in this offense and we get a nice little comp pick to soften the blow of the 3rd we traded.

Yeah the strategy works perfect on trades like this or if you sign a talented player on a 1 year prove it deal like you guys did last year with Jefferey if he left(and signed a big deal) you would get a comp pick.

1 minute ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Nice. This reads less and less as a pure "8 game rental." Positive way to look at it is that we get to a tryout a guy who could be a top notch slot WR for us over the next couple years... if we don't like what we see, oh well, should tell us a little more about what types of WRs work and don't work in this offense and we get a nice little comp pick to soften the blow of the 3rd we traded.

Yep and as I mentioned earlier actually helps in negotiations between Agholor and Tate. Who wants to stay with a potential contender who wants to chase big money elsewhere. If both go Hopefully 2 Comp Picks and Mack Hollins returns from IR /godforbid Shelton Gibson can learn a playbook to fill a void?

17 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

At first was like no way we'd get a 3rd, but looking at that and he is really liked in the league.
Would have a decent market if we don't resign him.

I think we will though.

7 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Who is going to sign a 31 year old WR for big money? I don't see it. Compensation picks are only awarded if the team lost more players than they signed, so the Eagles would have to not sign anyone this offseason to get a pick back for Tate.

and they likely won't sign anyone beside some 1 year prove it type deals to fill holes in the roster.

Golden Tate will have a market for contending teams or teams with young QBs. Not gonna be crazy, but should he leave it won't be for just 8 games and we get nothing.

My money is on us resigning him though

15 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Who is going to sign a 31 year old WR for big money? I don't see it. Compensation picks are only awarded if the team lost more players than they signed, so the Eagles would have to not sign anyone this offseason to get a pick back for Tate.

Phi is hard up against the cap.  They don’t really need to bring in any FA.  Letting Tate walk is very likely.  Getting an end of 3rd / end of 4th comp pick is incredibly likely with a team like PHI.  WR with his skill set age gracefully - a 2-3 year deal with a high AAV is very feasible given how much WR position makes.    

They have to wait a year but yeah basically it’s a pick swap to get a difference maker for 8 games.  LOVE the move for PHI. 

Just another way Roseman shows how ahead of the curve he is.  Much respect. 

35 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Go ahead and look at the WR market for next offseason. He's the only good one. 

Lions may not have gotten a comp pick for Tate if they kept him for the rest of the year. They will likely be in the market for a high-priced free agent at a few different spots that would offset losing him. Still not a huge fan of moving him, but if they know that they won't be able to reach a deal then I'm fine with it. He'll probably get like 3/45+ on the open market after this season

45 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

and they likely won't sign anyone beside some 1 year prove it type deals to fill holes in the roster.

Golden Tate will have a market for contending teams or teams with young QBs. Not gonna be crazy, but should he leave it won't be for just 8 games and we get nothing.

My money is on us resigning him though

Yeah at his age at most it will be a 3 year deal with an option to get out of it after 2 years.

Eagles have the most draft picks this coming draft of any team... I love this move, because Tate can be plugged in anywhere and he will contribute. If he plays well, I'm sure the Eagles will try to resign him, and if they can't they'll get a pick next year. 

14 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Phi is hard up against the cap.  They don’t really need to bring in any FA.  Letting Tate walk is very likely.  Getting an end of 3rd / end of 4th comp pick is incredibly likely with a team like PHI.  WR with his skill set age gracefully - a 2-3 year deal with a high AAV is very feasible given how much WR position makes.    

They have to wait a year but yeah basically it’s a pick swap to get a difference maker for 8 games.  LOVE the move for PHI. 

Just another way Roseman shows how ahead of the curve he is.  Much respect. 

There are numerous contracts most likely coming off the books next off-season with potential cuts/retirement. Most notably Peters, Sproles, Ajayi and several other older/expensive Vets. Someone posted in our forum somewhere all the "potential moves" that would open up close to $40+M.

Howie is a Magician when it comes to manipulating the cap. Already Proved that several times over.

14 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Not necessarily. I doubt Philly goes full-LAR in 2019 but they can be active players in FA if they want to. They can create some cap space rather easily.

Archived