Bye Bye Tate

diehardlionfan

Just now, diehardlionfan said:

You might feel differently after he plays those 8 games. I wouldn’t rule out resigning him at this point either.

He don't have the luxury of paying yet another receiver upwards of 10 million per year with out cap situation. Yes we can make room, but we have more pressing matters to attend to.

I guess the addition of Johnson and his ability to both catch and run the ball would really reduce targets to Tate moving forward. I’m not a fan of the move short term but longer term a 3rd is nice draft capital.

Tate has been a go to guy these past years and I don’t see other receivers with his tenacity on the team. Jones and Golladay are fine on the outside but neither demonstrates the fight of Tate in third down situations.

Thats not to suggest other players such as Riddick aren’t capable to work the slot I just find the timing of the trade unsettling. Are they admitting playoffs are all but gone so they’re looking ahead?

This would be much more acceptable to me if they announce another trade acquiring a pass rusher or CB.

5 minutes ago, Danger said:

He don't have the luxury of paying yet another receiver upwards of 10 million per year with out cap situation. Yes we can make room, but we have more pressing matters to attend to.

Understood. I’m not aware of your cap situation or Tate’s implications on it. 

He a scrappy, yards after the catch magician with good hands. He’s tough as nails and the type of player most would be interested in. I’m surprised the rumours came true and the Lions traded him. 

Good luck the rest of the way and I hope Tate makes a difference for you guys even if just for 8 games.

Just now, diehardlionfan said:

Understood. I’m not aware of your cap situation or Tate’s implications on it. 

He a scrappy, yards after the catch magician with good hands. He’s tough as nails and the type of player most would be interested in. I’m surprised the rumours came true and the Lions traded him. 

Good luck the rest of the way and I hope Tate makes a difference for you guys even if just for 8 games.

So he's a scrappy slot receiver who's good after the catch? We already have one in Agholor. I was hoping he'd be an outside receiver we could put opposite of Alshon. 

12 minutes ago, flyguy1609 said:

I wonder if the FO asked if the eagles wanted ziggy to and tried to get like a 1st or something? the birds lost Derek Barnett and he coulda replaced him.. still think we should move Ziggy and Blout before the deadline.

No will never happen... the Eagles don't need a DE we have pretty good depth. Plus we already have a 30 year old DE that we have to try to resign, not going to give a 1st for a 8 game rental. 

I don’t like the deal.  If he left in free agency because he was too expensive, we would likely get a late third comp pick.  Now we are down Tate for the rest of this year and still end up with likely a late 3rd pick.  Tate isn’t overly expensive, likely won’t be overly expensive, is Staffords favorite target, our best WR, and pretty much means we are throwing in the towel.  I think his value to this team is well more than a third round pick even if his trade value is about right given the market. 

Archived