Bye Bye Tate

diehardlionfan

1 minute ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I don’t like the deal.  If he left in free agency because he was too expensive, we would likely get a late third comp pick.  Now we are down Tate for the rest of this year and still end up with likely a late 3rd pick.  Tate isn’t overly expensive, likely won’t be overly expensive, is Staffords favorite target, our best WR, and pretty much means we are throwing in the towel.  I think his value to this team is well more than a third round pick even if his trade value is about right given the market. 

If you think that Tate won't be expensive then you haven't been watching the contracts that free agent wide receivers have been getting. 

He's not going to be the highest paid in the league, but he's going to get a lot of money. That amount of money is better off someplace else on a team that already has two other good receivers. 

2 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I don’t like the deal.  If he left in free agency because he was too expensive, we would likely get a late third comp pick.  Now we are down Tate for the rest of this year and still end up with likely a late 3rd pick.  Tate isn’t overly expensive, likely won’t be overly expensive, is Staffords favorite target, our best WR, and pretty much means we are throwing in the towel.  I think his value to this team is well more than a third round pick even if his trade value is about right given the market. 

I cant agree more! Sounds like to "ME" the FO said OK this isn't our year after the loss to the Seahawks and it doesn't look like we can really change much to make this year any better so lets get some picks for the draft and think next year and with a year under everyone's belt in Detroit everything hopefully will run smoother. I really want a defensive draft bad! not this best player unless its a defensive player....Another thing I'm really not totally down with keeping JBC

Wow, this FO has been more proactive during the season than they were in the offseason... I love both trades so far. Fair value for Tate, and it'll sting if we remain in the hunt but it won't hurt as bad like if we kept him and missed the playoffs and signed him to a 4 year deal worth 40 million. 

Really good move, Solid to come away with a 3rd round pick for a 8 game rental. I think Lions can absorb his loss through other players just simply getting more touches like Gollday/Johnson. The Slot role might not now be as important as it has been with Tate/Stafford together so long, but that could mean a expanded role too for these TE's.  I just can't buy that TJ Jones/Powell are going to allow that positon to become a black-hole offensively. 

Tate, for this team, I don't think he'd put us over the hump with or without him. I really just don't think the Lions offense will skip much of a beat with his loss honestly. In-fact if I'm the Eagles fans I'm a little pissed I traded my 3rd for a 8 game rental who's more of a safety net then real game changer. 

EDIT*

When I see what Thomas was traded for I'm even a little more happy with the 3rd round pick. 

Tate will be missed. His toughness and willingness to fight for something extra is infectious imo. 

I didn't expect to be able to get a 3rd for him, but he's extremely underpaid this season so Philly looking to make a run makes sense. 

Edit: This trade reeks of the Patriot way.

Archived