What does the perfect off season look like?

KodiakThunder

Hey guys, I was wondering what everyones idea for a perfect offseasons would look like. Its halfway through the season and while the Jets can beat any team in the bottom 16, they seem unable to stand up against the more talented teams. With that in mind... what would everyone ideally like to see happen in the offseason??

My hopes:

I'd like to see us key on a few positions.

NFL draft: Draft multiple pass rushers, early and often. While WR makes a ton of sense, Pass rushers rarely ever hit the open market so getting a prime talent is easier for WR than for pass rushing. Wr and Pass rush are the two main positions I'd like to focus on. 

Free Agency: sign at least 1 big time WR threat. Golden Tate would be a huge target for us, he's one of the best YAC receivers there is and nothing helps a young QB like extra yards after the catch. I'd also like to see us make a run at Funchess or Benjimen as we could use more length on the outside. 

RB: sign Leveon Bell!! Theres no way the Steelers resign him and the jets WILL ALWAYS be a run first team. RB is a huge need for us and Bell is the best RB to hit the market in years. 

If in the offseason, we sign a top tier WR, levein bell, and focus on pass rushing in the draft, I'll consider it a great offseason. 

P.s. the reason I'd prefer to draft pass rushers and sign WR/RB is that it's much easier to get a top tier WR/RB in FA....its very very rare for a top tier pass rusher to make it to FA. 

I'd like to see Bowles, Kacy, and Bates gone; nothing really against Bates since he's doing what he can with a rookie QB, but I want an offensive minded HC.

FA? I'd be cool with getting some top tier talent like Bell, but that contract is gonna be a tough pill to swallow. Otherwise, I want a premium slot guy. IMO Tate doesn't fit the bill, but a guy like Cobb might be interesting if he can stay healthy or Moncrief. Our OL has performed better than expected but we need a real answer at C. If we can better any of the other OL positions though, I'd feel better about spending on Bell.

If there's an A1 pass-rusher availble, we need to ****** him up or draft one. If we had a guy like Khalil Mack we'd be a top 3 defense. I can wait on a top tier WR - especially since this class hasn't been super impressive.

5 minutes ago, NJerseypaint said:

I'd like to see Bowles, Kacy, and Bates gone; nothing really against Bates since he's doing what he can with a rookie QB, but I want an offensive minded HC.

FA? I'd be cool with getting some top tier talent like Bell, but that contract is gonna be a tough pill to swallow. Otherwise, I want a premium slot guy. IMO Tate doesn't fit the bill, but a guy like Cobb might be interesting if he can stay healthy or Moncrief. Our OL has performed better than expected but we need a real answer at C. If we can better any of the other OL positions though, I'd feel better about spending on Bell.

If there's an A1 pass-rusher availble, we need to ****** him up or draft one. If we had a guy like Khalil Mack we'd be a top 3 defense. I can wait on a top tier WR - especially since this class hasn't been super impressive.

Q is the slot guy moving forward we definitely don't need a guy like Cobb or Tate.  Robby should be the X next year because he has the deep speed and ability to beat the press if the CB 's are crazy enough to press him.  We really need a Z who can do a bit of everything.  Moving the chains, go over the middle, and go deep if need be.  Problem is there aren't any of them in FA except maybe Funchess but I doubt CAR lets him go.  Best option for me would be Ty Williams.  SD probably wants to give Mike WIlliams a bigger role.  I'd like to take a run at either Williams or Funchess if either hit the market.  There are a few WR in the draft that I love especially those two studs from Ole Miss and Harry from ASU.  Any of those three would fit the Z role perfectly and give us a young trio of pass catchers to pair with an up and coming TE in Herdon.

Next up for me is pass rusher.  I'd settle for one but two would be preferable.  The FA class is stacked however not sure how many would hit the market.  Obvious choices are Clowney, Clark and Lawrence but I doubt any of them hit the open market.  I think we have a great shot at Fowler, Barr and maybe Flowers.  Need to get one of them in FA, it's a must.  If we do land one I wouldn't ignore one in the draft even the 1st.  There are 2-3 stud pass rusher in the top half of round 1.

Finally the OL.  Donovan Smith didn't get the extension that Marpet got and is probably the best LT on the FA market.  TB should have enough money to keep him but if he does hit the market a 26 year old LT would be a great get.  Quinton Spain is the other top option on the market at LG, he is an elite LG and that would probably be my top target if he hits the market. 

Ideally if I had my way and tried to keep it realistic I'd go.

FA
Spain (make him highest paid OG)
Barr (play the man huge money as he is an all around OLB who can fit perfectly in our 2-4-5 scheme should we keep Bowles that is)
Add Tyrell Williams to the WR core and resign Q and Robby
DRAFT
1st - Williams or Little as the future LT but not against resigning Beach as insurance
3rd - Look to bring in the top C available (would love to use our 4th to secure the top 2 C's Jenkins or Dieter)
NO 3rd - add the best available RB

18 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Q is the slot guy moving forward we definitely don't need a guy like Cobb or Tate.  Robby should be the X next year because he has the deep speed and ability to beat the press if the CB 's are crazy enough to press him.  We really need a Z who can do a bit of everything.  Moving the chains, go over the middle, and go deep if need be.  Problem is there aren't any of them in FA except maybe Funchess but I doubt CAR lets him go.  Best option for me would be Ty Williams.  SD probably wants to give Mike WIlliams a bigger role.  I'd like to take a run at either Williams or Funchess if either hit the market.  There are a few WR in the draft that I love especially those two studs from Ole Miss and Harry from ASU.  Any of those three would fit the Z role perfectly and give us a young trio of pass catchers to pair with an up and coming TE in Herdon.

Next up for me is pass rusher.  I'd settle for one but two would be preferable.  The FA class is stacked however not sure how many would hit the market.  Obvious choices are Clowney, Clark and Lawrence but I doubt any of them hit the open market.  I think we have a great shot at Fowler, Barr and maybe Flowers.  Need to get one of them in FA, it's a must.  If we do land one I wouldn't ignore one in the draft even the 1st.  There are 2-3 stud pass rusher in the top half of round 1.

Finally the OL.  Donovan Smith didn't get the extension that Marpet got and is probably the best LT on the FA market.  TB should have enough money to keep him but if he does hit the market a 26 year old LT would be a great get.  Quinton Spain is the other top option on the market at LG, he is an elite LG and that would probably be my top target if he hits the market. 

Ideally if I had my way and tried to keep it realistic I'd go.

FA
Spain (make him highest paid OG)
Barr (play the man huge money as he is an all around OLB who can fit perfectly in our 2-4-5 scheme should we keep Bowles that is)
Add Tyrell Williams to the WR core and resign Q and Robby
DRAFT
1st - Williams or Little as the future LT but not against resigning Beach as insurance
3rd - Look to bring in the top C available (would love to use our 4th to secure the top 2 C's Jenkins or Dieter)
NO 3rd - add the best available RB

I second this offseason plan. Only thing I'll add is fire Bowles, hire Defillip or LaFleur as HC, bring McCown or Bates back as QB coach (continuity with darnold) bring in a DC that has experience and runs or can adapt a system to the good young talent we already have on D.

Archived