Ravens Trade for Packers RB/WR Ty Montgomery

RavensTillIDie

15 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

This Packer fan wishes him well and holds no hate for the guy.  He made some mistakes, but he was also feeling pretty hopeless in a contract year having to share snaps with two other backs.  Not making excuses for the guy, though.  Kinda sucks so many folks lashed out at him and his family after he fumbled in the waning minutes of a close game.  No place for that kind of hate.

Yeah he should of secured the ball better but he fielded it at the two yard line can't really fault him for wanting to bring it out it's not like he was deep in the end zone.

15 hours ago, Broncofan said:

No call to go after his family ever. But he deserved all the vitriol directed his way (minus any threats).   He was instructed to down the ball.  2:05 left.  Another free play for ARod with only 1 TO left.   But he put himself ahead of his 52 teammates. After having a temper tantrum about being pulled.   There is zero excuse for the guy.  

He said afterwards that when Zuerlein wanted to kick it deep into/out of the endzone, he did so. On this kick, he didn't. It was coming down close to the goal line and monty didn't want to risk taking a knee at the 1 yard line. And from a strategic point of view - the Rams WANTED a return for all of the reasons you cited. So that adds a wrinkle to the discussion

And that moment of hesitation is why Monty brought it out per his comments. I'm of a mind to say its not as cut and dried as many suggest. It was a horrible mistake, but there's a bit more to it than just saying he put himself ahead of the team. He's a Stanford educated man who made a split second decision ( the wrong one) at a crucial moment and paid the ultimate price, losing his job. He was also the guy who was smart enough to "manufacture" an out -of-bounds penalty on another kickoff by putting one foot in bounds and the other one out - netting the Packers a start at the 40 yard line instead of the 25. 

I too wish him well, and I hope he outplays the stink of that play over the course of the rest of his NFL career

On 10/31/2018 at 9:06 PM, Broncofan said:

He was instructed to down the ball.  

Is there any proof of that? I really only see the one unnamed player quote that confirms this, but everyone is coming out as if they know it for a fact?

48 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

McCarthy said in his presser the plan was to kneel it.

He said “the plan there is to stay in the end zone”. 

His comments don’t really come off like he told Montgomery straight up to kneel, IYAM. It seems like a similar situation maybe either came up before or came up in practice, where Mike said that kneeling is the move - not that he told Ty before the kick off to kneel. Maybe I’m reading into it, but still was there’s anything else definitive other than the unnamed player?

2 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

He said “the plan there is to stay in the end zone”. 

His comments don’t really come off like he told Montgomery straight up to kneel, IYAM. It seems like a similar situation maybe either came up before or came up in practice, where Mike said that kneeling is the move - not that he told Ty before the kick off to kneel. Maybe I’m reading into it, but still was there’s anything else definitive other than the unnamed player?

Yes. The coach said the plan was to kneel...

There's nothing ambiguous about what he said ?

3 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Yes. The coach said the plan was to kneel...

There's nothing ambiguous about what he said ?

Yeah, and then he goes on about how TM had to make a quick decision. What decision is there to make if the plan is to kneel? Doesn’t make sense.

So I’m getting the impression there’s nothing concrete? Because even if you take McCarthy’s statement definitively as “I told him to kneel the ball before the kick off”, then it’s at best he-said, she-said.

6 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Yeah, and then he goes on about how TM had to make a quick decision. What decision is there to make if the plan is to kneel? Doesn’t make sense.

So I’m getting the impression there’s nothing concrete? Because even if you take McCarthy’s statement definitively as “I told him to kneel the ball before the kick off”, then it’s at best he-said, she-said.

Ok. Believe whatever you want. Not sure how it could possibly be more clear he was supposed to NOT take out a kick in the end zone.

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

Ok. Believe whatever you want. Not sure how it could possibly be more clear he was supposed to NOT take out a kick in the end zone.

“I told him not to take it out of the end zone” would be more clear.

2 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Must be pure coincidence he got traded for 2020 7th rnd pick right after, then. Weird.

I could easily see this being something that he was instructed to do in general and not specifically at that moment, and then botched in game. Some of these guys need to be told every single time what they are supposed to do. That's not an attack on the Packers or their decision here, but NFL players are dumber than most people think.
He certainly wasn't at the 2 when he field that kick. It certainly wouldn't have been a ref decision as Montgomery tried to say after the fact. It would have been a clean kneel, and the smarter decision.

I rule on the side of dumb and partly selfish.

4 minutes ago, CKSteeler said:

I could easily see this being something that he was instructed to do in general and not specifically at that moment, and then botched in game. Some of these guys need to be told every single time what they are supposed to do. That's not an attack on the Packers or their decision here, but NFL players are dumber than most people think.
He certainly wasn't at the 2 when he field that kick. It certainly wouldn't have been a ref decision as Montgomery tried to say after the fact. It would have been a clean kneel, and the smarter decision.

I rule on the side of dumb and partly selfish.

He's a Standford guy and intelligent. There's also reports he was benched in offensive series for taking an earlier kick out of the end zone (with footage of him visibly frustrated after).

It's very clear he took it out against the plan. 

It's also pretty clear to many that it was 100% selfish for a variety of reasons. He's a smart guy, so I don't think it has anything to do with his intelligence.

Archived