Ravens Trade for Packers RB/WR Ty Montgomery

RavensTillIDie

Just now, Pugger said:

Are you talking about Ty Montgomery??  O.o

He's trolling me because of my take on Todd Gurley this season.

But, if we go back two years, he was the NFL's most elusive RB by far: https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2017/07/05/green-bay-packers-ty-montgomery-was-nfls-most-elusive-rb-in-2016-and-it-wasnt-even-close/

A lot has obviously changed since then. 

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

He was one of those players who did nothing well, but wasn't bad enough to actually be cut.  He wasn't a very good WR and eventually transitioned to RB.  I'm actually kinda surprised the Packers got anything for him.

The Packers got something for him because they really didn't want him in NE and the RB- starved Pats would have happily snatched him up prior to this weeks match-up. A 2020 7th is partially a favor from Ozzie, either for past or future considerations

The Packers liked using the option of Cobb/WRs coming out of the backfield into the pattern, but Cobb was too slight to handle the pounding. So the Packers put the beefy version of Cobb, Monty, in that role and wanted to move him around as a chess piece to get favorable match-ups and to help AR ascertain the defensive alignments. Worked pretty well at times. Monty has a complimentary role to play and I wish him all the best in BAL.
Playing pro football with Sickle Cell Trait is no small feat

19 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

The Packers got something for him because they really didn't want him in NE and the RB- starved Pats would have happily snatched him up prior to this weeks match-up. A 2020 7th is partially a favor from Ozzie, either for past or future considerations

The Packers liked using the option of Cobb/WRs coming out of the backfield into the pattern, but Cobb was too slight to handle the pounding. So the Packers put the beefy version of Cobb, Monty, in that role and wanted to move him around as a chess piece to get favorable match-ups and to help AR ascertain the defensive alignments. Worked pretty well at times. Monty has a complimentary role to play and I wish him all the best in BAL.
Playing pro football with Sickle Cell Trait is no small feat

I now realized we're cornering the market on "offensive skill players with Sickle Cell Trait". That's why we made this trade. John Brown and now Ty Montgomery.

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

He's trolling me because of my take on Todd Gurley this season.

But, if we go back two years, he was the NFL's most elusive RB by far: https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2017/07/05/green-bay-packers-ty-montgomery-was-nfls-most-elusive-rb-in-2016-and-it-wasnt-even-close/

A lot has obviously changed since then. 

There you have it folks.

Elusiveness now >> Broken tackles 

get your hot takes here 

HAWT TAKES 

46 minutes ago, El ramster said:

There you have it folks.

Elusiveness now >> Broken tackles 

get your hot takes here 

HAWT TAKES 

Oh Rammy, never change:

Montgomery had a rating of 116.4, which ranked first by a wide margin thanks largely to 24 missed tackles forced on 106 total touches. Only three backs forced a missed tackle more frequently than Montgomery’s one missed tackle per 4.42 touches rate.

What’s more is that Montgomery led the entire league with a ridiculous 5.14 yards after contact per carry average.

I'm really surprised they got something for him but a 7th rounder two years from now is pretty close to nothing. It almost seems like the Packers are sending a message to Monty, "this is how little we value you." Kinda like tipping 2 cents sends a stronger message than tipping nothing at all. 

2 hours ago, skywindO2 said:

I'm really surprised they got something for him but a 7th rounder two years from now is pretty close to nothing. It almost seems like the Packers are sending a message to Monty, "this is how little we value you." Kinda like tipping 2 cents sends a stronger message than tipping nothing at all

If they released him there's a good chance the Patriots would have picked him up with their need at RB and with us versing them this weekend. It would have been a double bonus for them. At least the Packers got to choose where he goes by trading him

This Packer fan wishes him well and holds no hate for the guy.  He made some mistakes, but he was also feeling pretty hopeless in a contract year having to share snaps with two other backs.  Not making excuses for the guy, though.  Kinda sucks so many folks lashed out at him and his family after he fumbled in the waning minutes of a close game.  No place for that kind of hate.

Just now, Sasquatch said:

This Packer fan wishes him well and holds no hate for the guy.  He made some mistakes, but he was also feeling pretty hopeless in a contract year having to share snaps with two other backs.  Not making excuses for the guy, though.  Kinda sucks so many folks lashed out at him and his family after he fumbled in the waning minutes of a close game.  No place for that kind of hate.

No call to go after his family ever. But he deserved all the vitriol directed his way (minus any threats).   He was instructed to down the ball.  2:05 left.  Another free play for ARod with only 1 TO left.   But he put himself ahead of his 52 teammates. After having a temper tantrum about being pulled.   There is zero excuse for the guy.  

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

No call to go after his family ever. But he deserved all the vitriol directed his way (minus any threats).   He was instructed to down the ball.  2:05 left.  Another free play for ARod with only 1 TO left.   But he put himself ahead of his 52 teammates. After having a temper tantrum about being pulled.   There is zero excuse for the guy.  

Oh I don’t disagree - he most likely cost the Packers a chance to at least try and drive the ball down the field for a win.  I was just as pi$$ed as everyone watching that game.  Just putting this whole thing into perspective - 1st World problems don’t deserve third world treatment.  Glad he’s moved on for everyone’s sake.

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

I get teams are looking to gain every extra edge but Monty isn’t that great a player to overcome the lack of trust I’d have with him putting himself in front of the team.  

Best case scenario: We get a rotational 3rd down receiving back who can split carries and return kicks

Worst case scenario: we gave up a 7th rounder on a guy we're going to cut in a few weeks

Archived