Ravens Trade for Packers RB/WR Ty Montgomery

RavensTillIDie

A guy who got into Stanford isn't necessarily intelligent.  A guy who did so because he was a football player? Even less so. But that' less football related.

McCarthy's statement leaves some wiggle room in regards to interpretation. So the question becomes legitimate. If the Packers don't officially say anything, there's going to be room to talk.

33 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Must be pure coincidence he got traded for 2020 7th rnd pick right after, then. Weird.

Well, you wondered how it could possibly be said any simpler - there you have it. Instead McCarthy said the plan was, which leaves quite a bit of breathing room when trying to make an assumption here. I’m not defending Montgomery’s decision to bring it out, it was dumb even if he didn’t fumble, but I’m not really seeing anything definitive saying he disobeyed a direct order that happened before the kick off. 

Sounds a lot like GB wants their guys to kneel in that scenario, but didn’t expressly say so in that moment. Or at least, that’s what could’ve happened. I’m not pretending to know for sure, unlike...

7 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

Well, you wondered how it could possibly be said any simpler - there you have it. Instead McCarthy said the plan was, which leaves quite a bit of breathing room when trying to make an assumption here. I’m not defending Montgomery’s decision to bring it out, it was dumb even if he didn’t fumble, but I’m not really seeing anything definitive saying he disobeyed a direct order that happened before the kick off. 

Sounds a lot like GB wants their guys to kneel in that scenario, but didn’t expressly say so in that moment. Or at least, that’s what could’ve happened. I’m not pretending to know for sure, unlike...

He was told to take a knee in that situation.   It was a boneheaded moved on several levels.  You can't have players going rogue like this in your locker room.  Perhaps he has learned his lesson and he'll listen to his coaches in Baltimore.

2 hours ago, Pugger said:

He was told to take a knee in that situation.   It was a boneheaded moved on several levels.  You can't have players going rogue like this in your locker room.  Perhaps he has learned his lesson and he'll listen to his coaches in Baltimore.

What proof is there?

3 hours ago, Pugger said:

What if the kickoff landed at the 1 yard line and he took a knee?

10 hours ago, incognito_man said:

There is no wiggle room in "the plan was to kneel it".

The plan was for you not to reply more in this thread. It honestly sounds like coach speak for calling someone out but being vague enough so that you aren't lying but you aren't coming right out and saying that you mentioned it specifically at the time to the player. At least that one comment. He may have elaborated further to make it more clear but just saying "the plan" doesn't mean it was anyone's plan other than the coach. Now if he said "I said not to return it if it was in the endzone" that would be concrete.

Then again I may be cynical from Hue being my teams coach for so long.

59 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

The plan was for you not to reply more in this thread. It honestly sounds like coach speak for calling someone out but being vague enough so that you aren't lying but you aren't coming right out and saying that you mentioned it specifically at the time to the player. At least that one comment. He may have elaborated further to make it more clear but just saying "the plan" doesn't mean it was anyone's plan other than the coach. Now if he said "I said not to return it if it was in the endzone" that would be concrete.

Then again I may be cynical from Hue being my teams coach for so long.

For so long? You know nothing sir. 

4 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

What if the kickoff landed at the 1 yard line and he took a knee?

What kind of dumb question is this?

Seriously people....

Situation. 

Situationally dependent.

The situation was that the kickoff went into the endzone. 

In that situation the plan was to kneel it.

If the ball didn't go into the end zone that's a different situation.

In the NFL if you kneel the ball on a kcikoff and you're not in the end zone, it's not a touchback.

In that situation most coaches and most players understand the rule differences and likely wouldn't coach to kneel it and wouldn't execute to kneel it.

A situation in a football game can be different. Each situation has a different plan. Most humans (including the Standford educated Ty Montgomery) can understand a difference between situations and have the ability to comprehend at least two different executable plans.

I cannot fathom how anyone can't understand what happened here. There's no ambiguity. All ambiguity was lost first when MM announced the plan and second when Ty was traded.

26 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

What kind of dumb question is this?

Seriously people....

Situation. 

Situationally dependent.

The situation was that the kickoff went into the endzone. 

In that situation the plan was to kneel it.

If the ball didn't go into the end zone that's a different situation.

In the NFL if you kneel the ball on a kcikoff and you're not in the end zone, it's not a touchback.

In that situation most coaches and most players understand the rule differences and likely wouldn't coach to kneel it and wouldn't execute to kneel it.

A situation in a football game can be different. Each situation has a different plan. Most humans (including the Standford educated Ty Montgomery) can understand a difference between situations and have the ability to comprehend at least two different executable plans.

I cannot fathom how anyone can't understand what happened here. There's no ambiguity. All ambiguity was lost first when MM announced the plan and second when Ty was traded.

By almost 1 yard...It's already been discussed that Ty thought it might not have gone into the end zone. He takes a knee at the 1 yard line and now you're all calling for him to be cut taking a knee at the 1 yard line.

1 minute ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

By almost 1 yard...It's already been discussed that Ty thought it might not have gone into the end zone. He takes a knee at the 1 yard line and now you're all calling for him to be cut taking a knee at the 1 yard line.

If he has that awful of field awareness he's worth less than a 2020 7th anyway, so yeah. Cut him.

Just now, incognito_man said:

If he has that awful of field awareness he's worth less than a 2020 7th anyway, so yeah. Cut him.

It's not a black and white scenario here is my point. the kickoff was close enough to the goal line where it's certainly reasonable that he brought it out. If the kick was 5+ yards deep, you'd have a point.

6 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

It's not a black and white scenario here is my point. the kickoff was close enough to the goal line where it's certainly reasonable that he brought it out. If the kick was 5+ yards deep, you'd have a point.

Yes it is black and white. It wasn't even close to being questionable. It would have landed 3-4 yes into the end zone.

Why people are making this seem like some sort of hard to determine ball is ridiculous. That play is OBVIOUS.

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

Yes it is black and white. It wasn't even close to being questionable. It would have landed 3-4 yes into the end zone.

Why people are making this seem like some sort of hard to determine ball is ridiculous. That play is OBVIOUS.

This is where he caught the kickoff. If you think that's an "obvious" kneel down position, I just have to fundamentally disagree with you.

3tz4MiS.jpg

2 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

This is where he caught the kickoff. If you think that's an "obvious" kneel down position, I just have to fundamentally disagree with you.

3tz4MiS.jpg

If you think a player who catches it there can't tell if he's in the end zone or not you have a fundamental misunderstanding of the situational awareness even the worst NFL players possess.

Archived