Week 9 GDT: The BOSA BOWL - The BAY'S battle of the TANKS

N4L

33 minutes ago, Manny/Patrick said:

They did an article on him in the preseason, never realized he was that young either. Reminds me of Eric J. A lot faster though

@Forge meant it like he was old lol

"Already 25" ... Most second year players are 22-23

Kittle is easily the most well rounded offensive skill position player we have had since Frank Gore left.

The guy is a great blocker, he runs good routes, has great hips, adjusts to the ball well in the air and has great speed.. most of all he's competitive and plays with fire. 

He's had a couple drops but that can happen. He catches far more than he drops and he's excellent after the catch. There's been a few balls that were off target that he could have caught, a couple that hit off the finger tips, but he does seem "sure handed" so to speak. 

I still can't believe he was a 5th round pick, he's already a top 4 TE in the NFL in year 2. It's gronk, kelce, kittle, ertz in that order (ertz might be debatable but kittle is a better blocker for sure) then there is big drop off to the next teir of guys. 

He's in the perfect situation with a coach who loves versatility and knows how to scheme TEs open. 

GET THAT MAN SOME PANDA EXPRESS

Well I've just watched the whole game in 40 minutes on NFL Gamepass.  It gets broadcast live between 1am and 4am over here in the UK.  And I have to say I was very impressed with the team overall, despite the fact that we were playing the Raiders - I had no idea how awful they were until now.  Mullens was given a good gameplan and executed it well.  No he doesn't have a  great arm but he gets the ball off pretty quickly and that's what has been missing.  He made some very good throws, one or two risky ones that paid off, and one or two underthrows but he looked like he knew what he had to do and did it well.  Based on this performance he really should start next week.  The pass rush looked a lot better, albeit it was helped by a woeful Raiders O line.  Blair and Day were impressive for different reasons and we need to retain them.  Jimmy Ward had yet another decent game.  I think we have a really good one in Fred Warner too - he is a rookie but always seems to be around the ball.  I can't say enough good things about George Kittle.  Losing yet another player (Mostert) for the season is just typical of our luck with injuries this year.

We ran the ball a lot to take the pressure off Mullens, and it generally worked.  We need to keep doing that, even when the opposing defenses know it and stack the line, as it will help our play action chances immensely.  I am a happy Niner fan today as we played well and didn't turn the ball over, and we stuffed the Raiders which is always nice :)

On 10/31/2018 at 3:52 PM, y2lamanaki said:

If Mullens starts, my new semi-serious prediction:

Mullens inexplicably leads the offense to 45 points for the first time since 2012 and the 49ers win by 4 scores. Shanahan hands the keys over to Mullens and Mullens follows up this performance with 3 INTs and just over 100 passing yards in the final start of his NFL career.

*Sigh* You disappoint me, Nick. 45 points was the bar!

8 hours ago, John232 said:

Gonna be interesting to see if they just let Mullen’s ride this wave a bit. They could probably get a 5th for CJ given the scarcity of the QB position.

Call me crazy, but I really believe Shanny will go back to CJ. At least for the Giants game, IF he's healthy. He played Mullens out of necessity, not because he was fed up with CJ. I like what I saw out Mullens. He was poised, threw with accuracy and had good pocket presence. Was a bit late on some throws but for his first start, on a short week with virtually no reps with the 1's, he definitely showed something. BUT it was against the Raiders. Even CJ could have beaten that team last night. So I would like to see Mullens against a actual NFL team to gauge him more. But he definitely looked the part of a capable back-up last night. He definitely seems like he can identify a blitz, something I'm not sure CJ will ever learned. 

It was the Raiders. God, are they bad. The Golden Knights will still be Vegas' top pro sports team when the Raiders move.

I loved watching that game (while I was conscious... cold medicine). A game like that is more fun than watching draft position. I don't care. I didn't care last year, still don't this year. You play to win the game (hello! you don't play it just to play it). When the season is done, then you deal with your draft position. It was just fun to watch us win. It was fun to watch us SCORE, dammit! It was fun to watch Nick play, even though he hardly faced greater competition than he did in preseason (I mean, the raiders are better than the third stringers he faced, but he was also playing with third stringers back then, and with first stringers yesterday).

So, about Nick... that 72 yarder to Kittle, what an amazing play. In the plays of the year, for sure. But stupid throw, in quadruple coverage. Amazing one-hander by George, and run baby run. I have no problem saying Kittle is a much better TE than Vernon was. What a beast. So yeah, stupid throw, but beautiful nonetheless. In the right spot. My favorite throw was probably the sidearm screen pass to Kittle in the first quarter. I feel like CJ can't change his arm angle to save his life, and ends up having passes batted down left and right. Did Nick get any of his passes deflected? I can't recall one. He understands the pocket more than CJ, for sure. Oh, another impressive throw was the quick slant to Richie James. He saw it, didn't waste any time and lasered it off his back foot in a totally open field for Richie. And he did a similar thing seconds later, but Richie dropped it. Really impressive throws. That's something we saw from Jimmy last year, the play recognition leading to a great timing throw. That's something we didn't see from CJ. CJ has the mentality of "if I can't hold on long enough, the play will open up". He's tough in the pocket, he can do it, but with the according risks. That's why CJ's big plays usually happened through air yards, whereas Nick can throw the quick hitter and give his receivers running room. He did it with Kittle, with James, with Garçon. Awesome game by the kid. Bad raiders, but nice things to see from Nick.

I know these guys probably aren't ranked officially, but is Mostert the real #2 back behind Breida? I never thought he'd get this good running the ball, but I guess he just needed confidence, to know he can do it in the NFL. He's so fast (as we saw on the TD run), but he can run inside. He's brutal. That 11-12 yarder he had in the first half, right behind McGlinchey, I think? Wow, that was some serious power. Morris has played pretty well this year. So have Breida and Mostert. I think our running back corps is what we thought our WRs would be, before the year started. We thought our receivers would be underrated but efficient, and better as a group as any single individual. Our WRs haven't really lived up to our hopes, but the RBs have, in my opinion. They've played great. And having a very efficient Morris as more of a role player, now that Mostert has picked up steam as a runner, that's just very nice.

The defense played well. It's nice to see the pass rush hit the QB... but raiders. We need to get a great edge rusher in the draft, if only to take Marsh's spot so we don't see that annoying roundhouse kick celebration. We get it, you train doing MMA in the offseason. Who cares... nice to see him in the backfield, though. He's been playing better. Buck, Armstead, Solly, Blair... everyone played pretty well. I didn't really notice the rest of the defense, because frankly.... raiders. Master tankers, they are.

Just because I'm going through the whole team... Pinion had a great punt, and nice holds. Nice field goal and extra points, Gould. The long snaps were on point. Good game.

1 hour ago, 757-NINER said:

Call me crazy, but I really believe Shanny will go back to CJ. At least for the Giants game, IF he's healthy. He played Mullens out of necessity, not because he was fed up with CJ. I like what I saw out Mullens. He was poised, threw with accuracy and had good pocket presence. Was a bit late on some throws but for his first start, on a short week with virtually no reps with the 1's, he definitely showed something. BUT it was against the Raiders. Even CJ could have beaten that team last night. So I would like to see Mullens against a actual NFL team to gauge him more. But he definitely looked the part of a capable back-up last night. He definitely seems like he can identify a blitz, something I'm not sure CJ will ever learned. 

I won't call you crazy. I feel the same way actually. I don't know that Shanahan will want to twice bench CJ due to injury. Plus...they invested much more in CJ, and two of the easier pass defenses are in front of us to help CJ get some confidence back.

But man...those same two defenses could provide a heck of a career start for Mullens. I have seen enough of CJ personally and hope we go Mullens. First enjoyable game since Week 2!

10 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

I won't call you crazy. I feel the same way actually. I don't know that Shanahan will want to twice bench CJ due to injury. Plus...they invested much more in CJ, and two of the easier pass defenses are in front of us to help CJ get some confidence back.

But man...those same two defenses could provide a heck of a career start for Mullens. I have seen enough of CJ personally and hope we go Mullens. First enjoyable game since Week 2!

I feel like with CJ, we've hung around and been into games for some time (even against the Rams, we were holding up at first, before it turned into a blowout), then we find spectacular ways to lose. Is CJ just barely good enough to hang around? With Mullens, we didn't hang around. We were full throttle all game long. But raiders.

I hope CJ just stays on the injury report all week. Maybe someone could come in with a ski mask and Nancy Kerrigan him. Who's our Tonya Harding?

A number of years ago, my youngest son (only 3 at the time) had a broken arm very similar to Mostert's last night. Not a pretty sight. 

I was expecting to watch our 9ers fail miserably and keep marching toward the Bosa sweepstakes. Not disappointed, as that was an enjoyable game. Partly because two of my boys actually paid attention. If you didn't know already (I talk about them often, so you likely have to be new or unobservant to not know), I am the proud dad of 5 boys. Love them all, but the older 3 have been rather ambivalent toward football. They enjoy going to BWWs to watch games and/or the draft (not many don't, I know!), but pay little attention. Had no confidence in our 9ers winning last night, so I stayed home to watch rather than spend $$$ to go to BWWs. My younger 2 watched most of the game with me and my 9 year old (the youngest) was really excited. I had stepped out just before Kittle's 71 yard play and he came running to me "Dad, you missed it! They almost got another touchdown! Maybe you can see a replay! Come on!". He was so animated during the game that I hated to send him to bed, but finally did somewhere in the 3rd quarter. As I tucked him in, he thanked me for letting him stay up an hour and a half past his bedtime and told me he enjoyed the game a lot.

I may be crazy, but it makes me a bit emotional just thinking about it. Been a dad for 21 years now, so I have waited quite awhile for this. Last night was pretty special. So, thanks to the 49ers for making the memory possible, regardless of the draft repercussions. Hope Shanny sticks around a long time (we were way overdue for a Shanahan to coach our 9ers).

21 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

A number of years ago, my youngest son (only 3 at the time) had a broken arm very similar to Mostert's last night. Not a pretty sight. 

I was expecting to watch our 9ers fail miserably and keep marching toward the Bosa sweepstakes. Not disappointed, as that was an enjoyable game. Partly because two of my boys actually paid attention. If you didn't know already (I talk about them often, so you likely have to be new or unobservant to not know), I am the proud dad of 5 boys. Love them all, but the older 3 have been rather ambivalent toward football. They enjoy going to BWWs to watch games and/or the draft (not many don't, I know!), but pay little attention. Had no confidence in our 9ers winning last night, so I stayed home to watch rather than spend $$$ to go to BWWs. My younger 2 watched most of the game with me and my 9 year old (the youngest) was really excited. I had stepped out just before Kittle's 71 yard play and he came running to me "Dad, you missed it! They almost got another touchdown! Maybe you can see a replay! Come on!". He was so animated during the game that I hated to send him to bed, but finally did somewhere in the 3rd quarter. As I tucked him in, he thanked me for letting him stay up an hour and a half past his bedtime and told me he enjoyed the game a lot.

I may be crazy, but it makes me a bit emotional just thinking about it. Been a dad for 21 years now, so I have waited quite awhile for this. Last night was pretty special. So, thanks to the 49ers for making the memory possible, regardless of the draft repercussions. Hope Shanny sticks around a long time (we were way overdue for a Shanahan to coach our 9ers).

Awesome story- so happy for you!

Archived