Week 9 GDT: The BOSA BOWL - The BAY'S battle of the TANKS

N4L

4 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

He may have had a moment like mine last night...fatherhood is fantastic! Best thing I ever did...well, next to marrying their mother! That was a flash of brilliance.

The things football can do to us. Growing up I got to watch the last couple of years of Young with my dad. My mom used to rub it in my face that I never got to watch Montana play LIVE.  So from 2002-2010, our dark ages, me and my dad watched football but it was different because the niners weren't good. So I will always thank Jim for those four years because those four years reminded me of how things were when I was just a kid. 

32 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

BTW, George Kittle already has the 12th most productive season in franchise history in terms of receiving yardage by a TE. If he duplicates his performance this week against the Raiders, he will jump all the way up to 6th.

Nice! Considering getting his or Buckner's jersey as the most recent I have is still Willis...much too early, Patrick. Sigh. :(

1 hour ago, y2lamanaki said:

I won't call you crazy. I feel the same way actually. I don't know that Shanahan will want to twice bench CJ due to injury. Plus...they invested much more in CJ, and two of the easier pass defenses are in front of us to help CJ get some confidence back.

But man...those same two defenses could provide a heck of a career start for Mullens. I have seen enough of CJ personally and hope we go Mullens. First enjoyable game since Week 2!

I agree with you and @757-NINER; I'm not convinced we ride with Mullens against the Giants at all. I said it in the NFL gen thread as well. i wouldn't at all mind giving Nick the shot, and last night was great, but I don't know how much stock the staff is going to put into it, what their overall feelings on CJ / Mullens are, etc. If Shanny truly believes that Beat Hard is by far the best quarterback in the building right now, I just don't know that he is going to flip to Mullens for good. 

And no one should lose their starting spot due to injury...not saying this would actually be that, just having flashbacks to how unjustly Harbaugh dealt with Alex vs Kaep. Alex should have gotten his spot back after recovering from the concussion. However, he may have been more appreciated at his other stops...KC and now DC. I don't know. 

Just not fair to compare all of Beathard's games to Mullen's one...especially against the Raiduhs. I don't know if I have seen a worse team than them. They have truly checked out of this season. Carr may be the only one who cares at all. Gruden doesn't even seem to... What a nightmare of a contract they have with him. Whew, glad I'm not a fan.

1 minute ago, Chrissooner49er said:

And no one should lose their starting spot due to injury...not saying this would actually be that, just having flashbacks to how unjustly Harbaugh dealt with Alex vs Kaep. Alex should have gotten his spot back after recovering from the concussion. However, he may have been more appreciated at his other stops...KC and now DC. I don't know. 

Just not fair to compare all of Beathard's games to Mullen's one...especially against the Raiduhs. I don't know if I have seen a worse team than them. They have truly checked out of this season. Carr may be the only one who cares at all. Gruden doesn't even seem to... What a nightmare of a contract they have with him. Whew, glad I'm not a fan.

Yeah, the really bad part for the raiders last night wasn't the fact that they were blown out, or even how bad the players were, in my opinion. The really bad part was how badly outcoached the raiders were against Shanny and Saleh to be honest. I mean, it wasn't even close. The 49er staff simply coached circles around them. That has to be the most jarring thing to me if I'm a raiders fan because you're tied to that guy for a long time (unless he retires...which honestly, wouldn't shock me if he did in 2 years), and even if they manage to hit on the picks they have accumulated (something I have no faith that they can do), are they even going to be able to get the most out of those guys from a coaching standpoint? That staff would worry me. 

Okay, something no one has talked about much but it is time to give Pettis more time. Playing only 8 or 9 snaps is not going to cut it. I get it, they want to bring him in slowly because of his injury, but no excuses starting next week. I don't need to see Garcon get majority of the snaps opposite Goodwin. 

How did Nick do?  That's my college guy.  His stats look great, but Raiders are a dumpster fire and I didn't watch most of the game.

I always though he could play in the NFL like Austin Davis.  I didn't think he would ever get a chance to start though.

23 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

How did Nick do?  That's my college guy.  His stats look great, but Raiders are a dumpster fire and I didn't watch most of the game.

I always though he could play in the NFL like Austin Davis.  I didn't think he would ever get a chance to start though.

The bolded is basically the story. His stats matched his play for the most part - few errant/dangerous throws, no sacks taken, 3 TDs, but all against the Raiders. 

All of us are pretty happy with it, but tempering expectations. 

1 hour ago, y2lamanaki said:

The bolded is basically the story. His stats matched his play for the most part - few errant/dangerous throws, no sacks taken, 3 TDs, but all against the Raiders. 

All of us are pretty happy with it, but tempering expectations. 

Bout what I figured.  

1 hour ago, Jlowe22 said:

I thought he played really well, though I'm not even ready to concede that he's better than CJ yet (though I'd like to give him another opportunity). The staff did a great job scheming - @pwny had a great post in the NFL gen thread where it showed that Mullens didn't have to make a single tight window throw (defender within 1 yard of receiver), and that's a credit to the scheme and the coaching. Lots of play action, which is great. Lots of easy routes. He whiffed a little high earlier on, which could be a bad sign moving forward, or it could have been nerves, but those type of routes are not the ones that you want to miss high on. 

The one thing that I liked most, however, was that mentally, Mullens seemed to be okay. He processed nicely, speed didn't seem to be too much, and I think that is important. He's physically limited, so he needs to have a superior mental acuity. I said it earlier in this thread, but one of the things I liked the most was this innocuous third and seven play when the 49ers were in field goal range. The raiders brought the blitz, Mullens immediately checked down to his hot route and completed a two yard pass. Sure, it didn't get the first down. That's not what was important - the important thing was that he recognized the blitz coming, immediately came down and got rid of the ball. that's huge because it is something that CJ sorely lacks. He's terrible at recognizing the blitz, and it's very possible that with CJ in there, that's a sack (making it a harder field goal), or worse (fumble, int). So that was one of the most important plays in the game for me when evaluating Mullens. 

What I liked better about Mullens than Beathard was the fact that he got the ball out on time. There wasn’t a ton of pressure, but C.J. holds the ball far too long and probably creates more pressure for himself. Remember how much better our OLine looked after Jimmy took over last year. I think Mullens getting the ball out on time is huge. 

20 minutes ago, Gore Whore 21 said:

What I liked better about Mullens than Beathard was the fact that he got the ball out on time. There wasn’t a ton of pressure, but C.J. holds the ball far too long and probably creates more pressure for himself. Remember how much better our OLine looked after Jimmy took over last year. I think Mullens getting the ball out on time is huge. 

I mean to be fair, we were playing an all time BAD pass rush and Mullens had all day to throw. Sure he was getting rid of it on time...But that was due to there never being pressure aside from a few times the Raiders brought the blitz.

4 hours ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Should Bledsoe should have started in the Super Bowl instead of Tom Brady? :)

Every situation is different. Coach has to go with the guy who he feels gives the team the best chance to win.

Archived