Week 9 GDT: The BOSA BOWL - The BAY'S battle of the TANKS

N4L

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Looking like we will know on Monday. 

Save your time, it's Mullens time. The question is do we win our second consecutive game???

Looking at it objectively, with Jimmy G we beat Cards twice, win one of Chargers/Packers if not both, beat Giants/Bucs, likely split vs Seattle and probably beat Denver. So those that predicted 9-10 games would have been right in all likelihood. I don't know if that equates to playoffs but puts them close. And oh yeah, the Bears game would be winnable too and the Rams may have rested their players in week 17.

Damn, the injury really cost the team at a playoff birth regardless of how flawed it is. 

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

Save your time, it's Mullens time. The question is do we win our second consecutive game???

Looking at it objectively, with Jimmy G we beat Cards twice, win one of Chargers/Packers if not both, beat Giants/Bucs, likely split vs Seattle and probably beat Denver. So those that predicted 9-10 games would have been right in all likelihood. I don't know if that equates to playoffs but puts them close. And oh yeah, the Bears game would be winnable too. 

Yeah, i'm not going that far. I'm not convinced that we beat the Chargers or the Packers with Jimmy G in there. Possible. Jimmy G hadn't done anything that was super impressive up through his injury. The games play out completely differently, so who knows. Wouldn't have been the most shocking thing, wouldn't have been surprised if we only won 6 or 7. 

Just now, Forge said:

Yeah, i'm not going that far. I'm not convinced that we beat the Chargers or the Packers with Jimmy G in there. Possible. Jimmy G hadn't done anything that was super impressive up through his injury. The games play out completely differently, so who knows. Wouldn't have been the most shocking thing, wouldn't have been surprised if we only won 6 or 7. 

You're just wrong IMO. 6-7 is a complete given considering the trash teams we had on our schedule. Seriously this was a huge missed opportunity. We have played and are going to play some real GARBAGE teams.

Cards twice, Raiders, Bucs and Giants? Then getting the Rams on week 17? Plus we had already beaten Detroit? 

And it doesn't matter if Jimmy G hadn't done anything impressively, he is still much better than Beathard. It's not like Beathard was doing anything special vs GB or LAC either. Shanny was just dicing them up with his play calling. And once the scheme became a non-factor and Beathard had to complete a few passes at end of the game? He completely fell apart. 

Saying we win 9-11 games isn't saying the team is so good. It's saying how bad some of the teams on our schedule are. The teams I mentioned are down right AWFUL. 

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

You're just wrong IMO. 6-7 is a complete given considering the trash teams we had on our schedule. Seriously this was a huge missed opportunity. We have played and are going to play some real GARBAGE teams.

Cards twice, Raiders, Bucs and Giants? Then getting the Rams on week 17? Plus we had already beaten Detroit? 

And it doesn't matter if Jimmy G hadn't done anything impressively, he is still much better than Beathard. It's not like Beathard was doing anything special vs GB or LAC either. Shanny was just dicing them up with his play calling. And once the scheme became a non-factor and Beathard had to complete a few passes at end of the game? He completely fell apart. 

Saying we win 9-11 games isn't saying the team is so good. It's saying how bad some of the teams on our schedule are. The teams I mentioned are down right AWFUL. 

Well, I'm not "just wrong". I'm just not right either. 

It's not as simple as "take out player A, replace with player B and here are the results". Everything changes. Is it possible? sure. Do I like the chances that is the case? Not necessarily. Didn't think that we were a 9-10 win team before hand, not sure why I would think it's that way now. Could win 10, could win 6 or 7. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Well, I'm not "just wrong". I'm just not right either. 

It's not as simple as "take out player A, replace with player B and here are the results". Everything changes. Is it possible? sure. Do I like the chances that is the case? Not necessarily. Didn't think that we were a 9-10 win team before hand, not sure why I would think it's that way now. Could win 10, could win 6 or 7. 

It is just that simple when the replacement is straight garbage. It is that simple when you play five TERRIBLE teams. I never once said we have a good team, but the schedule was set up for us to make a playoff run and likely make it depending on if we could have beat Chicago or LAR to end the season. 

This isn't something like taking out a WR and replacing him with another and expecting five or so more wins. This is taking out a incompetent QB that has been THE major reason we have lost so many games and replacing him with a competent QB. 

6 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

It is just that simple when the replacement is straight garbage. It is that simple when you play five TERRIBLE teams. I never once said we have a good team, but the schedule was set up for us to make a playoff run and likely make it depending on if we could have beat Chicago or LAR to end the season. 

This isn't something like taking out a WR and replacing him with another and expecting five or so more wins. This is taking out a incompetent QB that has been THE major reason we have lost so many games and replacing him with a competent QB. 

Okay, prove it. 

I'm not fighting the "possibility" that it happens. Certainly could. I admitted that before the season started. It's also possible that we win 7 games because we couldn't have gotten out of our own way even with Jimmy G in there. LIS, changes everything. It's not that simple. Gameplans change. The actual plays change. Everything is different from a simple time space continuum standpoint lol. Possible,  But to me, giving it any sort of  "yeah, 9 - 10 wins would have happened in all likelihood" seems a little rash. 

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

Okay, prove it. 

I'm not fighting the "possibility" that it happens. Certainly could. I admitted that before the season started. It's also possible that we win 7 games because we couldn't have gotten out of our own way even with Jimmy G in there. LIS, changes everything. It's not that simple. But to me, giving it any sort of  "yeah, 9 - 10 wins would have happened in all likelihood" seems a little rash. 

Does it though? When you get five winnable games like we got? Like it is rare to get four games in a schedule against AZ/OAK/NYG. Do you disagree with that? It would take COMPLETE incompetence by Jimmy G to lose these four games. And I mean he wouldn't even have to play well, just decent. These are teams that would sometimes watch and think to yourself, yep, they are trying to lose. 

9-10 games prediction isn't even going out on a limb or anything. Only questionable games would be like the Seahawks that I had splitting and possibly Denver. Then that is assuming we lose to the Bears and Rams, which is far from a lock, especially the Rams who likely have everything taken care of by week 17. 

23 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Does it though? When you get five winnable games like we got? Like it is rare to get four games in a schedule against AZ/OAK/NYG. Do you disagree with that? It would take COMPLETE incompetence by Jimmy G to lose these four games. And I mean he wouldn't even have to play well, just decent. These are teams that would sometimes watch and think to yourself, yep, they are trying to lose. 

9-10 games prediction isn't even going out on a limb or anything. Only questionable games would be like the Seahawks that I had splitting and possibly Denver. Then that is assuming we lose to the Bears and Rams, which is far from a lock, especially the Rams who likely have everything taken care of by week 17. 

Do I think we are better? Certainly. Do I think that equates to 9 - 10 wins? No. I think the Bucs game would still be very questionable. There's no guarantee that our offense keeps up with that one or that our defense somehow slows it down. There's no guarantee we can move the ball well on the Bears. Do I think we sweep the Cardinals? Not sure about that. I think we probably win one at least, but I hesitate to give us both and obviously, there's no guarantee we get one. I do think we would have though. Do I think we for sure get a win out of either the Chargers or Packers? No. Do I think we sweep the Seahawks or get one? Not necessarily. That team is playing much better lately, and the run heavy offense is pretty interesting truth be told. As you said, the Broncos could be up in the air as well. 

In almost all of the games, I would certainly give us a chance, but the possibility that it goes either way exists. The possibility exists that we win 10, absolutely (sweep cards, split seahawks, wins against Denver and Tampa, Rams in final week, Raiders, Giants, split Chargers / Packers,  win bears). The possibility also exists that we win 6 (lets say split Cards, Raiders, Lions, Giants, split seahawks, and the rams). Could I see that happening? Absolutely. I just don't think that there's anything that would support a greater likelihood of either scenario. 

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I mean to be fair, we were playing an all time BAD pass rush and Mullens had all day to throw. Sure he was getting rid of it on time...But that was due to there never being pressure aside from a few times the Raiders brought the blitz.

Yeah the Raiders are awful and I made mention with the ‘There wasn’t a ton of pressure’ comment in my post. I think Mullens doesn’t look nearly as good against a different opponent, but CJ has some pretty awful pocket presence and has a tendancy to hold the ball far too long. Mullens was descisive and the ball was coming out quick, that is something I haven’t seen much of with CJ. I think CJ moves himself into harms way more than he should as well and really puts our OLinemen in a bad position. What I’m interested to see with Mullens is how he protects the ball. He had an INT dropped last night, and from what I read, he had a proclivity for throwing picks in college. I hope we roll with Mullens at least for next week just to see what he’s got. It’s probably another flash in the pan kind of guy, but in a lost season we might as well see what we’ve got.

28 minutes ago, Forge said:

Do I think we are better? Certainly. Do I think that equates to 9 - 10 wins? No. I think the Bucs game would still be very questionable. There's no guarantee that our offense keeps up with that one or that our defense somehow slows it down. There's no guarantee we can move the ball well on the Bears. Do I think we sweep the Cardinals? Not sure about that. I think we probably win one at least, but I hesitate to give us both and obviously, there's no guarantee we get one. I do think we would have though. Do I think we for sure get a win out of either the Chargers or Packers? No. Do I think we sweep the Seahawks or get one? Not necessarily. That team is playing much better lately, and the run heavy offense is pretty interesting truth be told. As you said, the Broncos could be up in the air as well. 

In almost all of the games, I would certainly give us a chance, but the possibility that it goes either way exists. The possibility exists that we win 10, absolutely (sweep cards, split seahawks, wins against Denver and Tampa, Rams in final week, Raiders, Giants, split Chargers / Packers,  win bears). The possibility also exists that we win 6 (lets say split Cards, Raiders, Lions, Giants, split seahawks, and the rams). Could I see that happening? Absolutely. I just don't think that there's anything that would support a greater likelihood of either scenario. 

Okay, no disrespect, but once you said you don't think we sweep the Cardinals I had to stop reading. Clearly we have a fundamental difference there and it is pointless arguing when we are so far off in our beliefs. 

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

Okay, no disrespect, but once you said you don't think we sweep the Cardinals I had to stop reading. Clearly we have a fundamental difference there and it is pointless arguing when we are so far off in our beliefs. 

I mean, the bills beat the vikings, but sure, not sweeping the cards is impossible

Just now, Forge said:

I mean, the bills beat the vikings, but sure, not sweeping the cards is impossible

Impossible? Anything is possssibbbbbllleeeeeeeee (KG voice). But when you play against an offense that pathetic? It would take a complete collapse to lose to them. I mean technically it isn't impossible to think we could have lost to the Raiders if Jimmy G started and threw five INTs. BUT, that is just highly highly unlikely. If you want to say the Bucs wouldn't be a guarantee win, I'm not going to argue that. Because it is certainly plausible that Fitzmagic has a early season type of game and their offense is too much for our defense. But the Cardinals? Sorry, that's where we STRONGLY disagree. 

2 hours ago, Gore Whore 21 said:

What I liked better about Mullens than Beathard was the fact that he got the ball out on time. There wasn’t a ton of pressure, but C.J. holds the ball far too long and probably creates more pressure for himself. Remember how much better our OLine looked after Jimmy took over last year. I think Mullens getting the ball out on time is huge. 

The thing with Nick that I really liked is that he's timing in the pocket seems more NFL-ready than CJ's. He doesn't drop back like he's doing the slow waltz. He plays faster than CJ but not rushed. There's a difference. CJ seems oblivious to pressure and really struggles to sense where the pressure is coming from. Mullens had urgency in the pocket. He had an idea of just how much time each play needed to develop and when he felt like that time was up, he got rid of the ball. That's what you want ideally from a young QB with little experience. CJ to me, doesn't seem to play with urgency from the pocket. He drops back like every pass will be blocked perfectly and he just needs to make his reads and deliver the ball. His drops, his reads, everything seems elongated and just a tick too slow if that makes any sense. You saw last nite, Mullens identified the blitz early pre-snap and got rid of the ball. He looked more like Jimmy G than CJ in that regard. Even that one little pass to Kittle when he side-armed it as a defender was right in his grill...very Jimmy G-esque.  And though he's in inch shorter than CJ, he didn't have one batted ball last night....his wind up is quicker than CJ. Less time for defenders to react and get their hands up.

Archived