Jaguars trade Dante Fowler to Rams

49erurtaza

17 minutes ago, Forge said:

You would, but at the same time, he's only got 2 this year and he's still playing on a defense with Yannick, Dareus, Campbell, Jackson, Jack, etc etc etc. 

He was barely even seeing the field this year.  Honestly, that's one of the biggest concerns for me.  I don't think the "increase the talent around him and he logically stands to do better" argument holds water with him, because he's, rather, shown that if you increase the level of talent around him, he'll get beaten out by them and end up seeing the field less and less.

17 minutes ago, SWATcha said:

Trust me, I hope this signing busts hard, but that Rams trio isn't all that bad, either. 

Yeah I edited that post. Read it wrong.

But yeah, I think Fowler will be solid down the stretch for them. He isn't a focal guy but he doesn't need to be that for them either.

A 3rd seems fine to me. When his name came up this offseason, a lot of Jags fans were saying a 3rd is not enough because they would receive a 3rd as a comp pick. 

They are essentially accelerating that pick a year. And the Rams get even more players on the D. 

It is a solid trade for both teams.

15 minutes ago, SWATcha said:

Dang dude, doom and gloom much? Have some faith. '72 Dolphins can do their annual rejoicing after this weekend.

I hope you're right, but we always struggle against the Rams for some reason. That and they're getting healthy.

44 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

I’d hardly call Fowler average.. 8 sacks last year. One of the better rotational guys in the league. Heck hes definitely a miles better pass rusher than anyone on the Raiders. 

Did you look at the actual situations he got those sacks?  Because that's very relevant.  Getting multiple sacks against some bad QB's who hold onto the ball for too long and poor/injured RT's isn't really the stuff to hang hats on.

21 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

A 3rd seems fine to me. When his name came up this offseason, a lot of Jags fans were saying a 3rd is not enough because they would receive a 3rd as a comp pick. 

Context matters.

His one season value to the Jaguars as a potential Super Bowl contender is worth more than accelerating a 3rd round pick a year forward. Now that they’re clearly not that team, accelerating that pick is good, as is getting the extra pick.

He is a headcase.

From the stupid thing with his baby momma/current gf, hitting some old man, stomping on his glasses and throwing the mans groceries in a lake, to almost fighting Ngakoue at TC, charged with assault against a police officer.

Jags weren’t bringing him back so it’s smart to get picks for him.

I am eager to see how he stays out of trouble in LA.

51 minutes ago, pwny said:

Context matters.

His one season value to the Jaguars as a potential Super Bowl contender is worth more than accelerating a 3rd round pick a year forward. Now that they’re clearly not that team, accelerating that pick is good, as is getting the extra pick.

That means that the rams could recoup the pick next year if he signs with some desperate team like the Browns. I didn’t think of that, this trade is a win for the rams. Specially if he balls out and gets 10 sacks in the next 8 weeks+ 

3 hours ago, minutemancl said:

I can't be the only one who doesn't think Fowler is very good. Good on the Rams for trying to capitalize on this season, but Fowler isn't anything more than an average-slightly above average pass rusher.

Depends on your definition of not good? According to ESPN, Fowler Jr. is 13th amongst DE/OLB in PRWR (Pass Rush Win Rate) and he only has 105 pass rushes. Thats pretty good. He will see more pass rushes in LA not only being a full time starter but unlike the Jags, teams will pass the ball more because the Rams offense will put pressure on teams to throw more. Fowler Jr. in a Wade Phillips coached defense with Donald (who leads in the NFL in sacks) and in general the Rams defense leads the NFL in total pressures and PRWR. Like now they have the guy on the edge to combat with the guys up the middle to get to the QB. 

I think this is a great move for the Rams. Just like i said last offseason when the Rams signed Woods. People was writing him off as a bust and wonder why the Rams paid him all that money. I said Woods is a young talented player who was stuck in Buffalo. Now he gets a better offensive minded coach, he gets a better QB, and great weapons around him. Most importantly he gets a legit TEAM. He is going to thrive because he has the talent. Same with Fowler. The defensive minded coach is better than it was in Jacksonville, get get to play with the best player on defense and the talent around him on defense is really good. Not to mention he is on a TEAM. The Jags are a collection of good talent but they dont come across as a TEAM. The Rams are locked in together as a team. You wont see dysfunction or players getting into bar fights on a business trip. Like thats huge for a guy still young like Fowler Jr. Again I love this move for the Rams. 

9 minutes ago, El ramster said:

That means that the rams could recoup the pick next year if he signs with some desperate team like the Browns. I didn’t think of that, this trade is a win for the rams. Specially if he balls out and gets 10 sacks in the next 8 weeks+ 

I wouldn't hold my breathe on that one, Rammy.

All also add that people get caught up too much on draft picks. Draft picks are unknown assets. For a team that has built its foundation through the draft from 2012 until now, they are in a Superbowl mindset. Its like trying to save up to by a car. If you have enough money to get the car you want, why continue to save? What are you waiting for? The Rams built up their roster for at least 4yrs now through the draft, what good does it help them to feel like they need to keep an extra 2019 3rd round pick or a 2020 5th round pick on an unknown rookie? Like thats how teams that should be going for it miss their chance and regret it down the road. Not to mention I trust the Rams organization to draft well no matter where they are picking from in the draft. Afterall they drafted Kupp and Johnson III both in the 3rd round. They didnt even a 1st round pick to get Davis, Williams, or Ross. They still ended up with what looks to be right now the better receiver of the four. So again Im not hung up on draft picks like alot of people are. The Rams needed an edge rusher and they got it. I rather for them to go get one and spend picks to do so then not get one lose in the playoffs because they didnt have one then be like at least they still have that extra 3rd and 5th round pick. Like that would be pointless. 

4 minutes ago, El ramster said:

He's going to get more money than he deserves on the open market, regardless. He's the type of player teams love to throw a ton of money at while pretending they can be better than they really are. 

You guys will get good value back on the comp pick. It'll be at least a 4th at worst, higher depending on what you all do.

Fowler isn't great, and will never live up to the stupid hype for him. He's never going to be the player that deserves the next contract he's going to get either. I've been a detractor of him since before we drafted him and have never wavered on that. But he's a guy that has the raw tools to eat as a rotational guy when you have great talent next to him. His straight line speed will smoke most trash RTs (which is most of them) one on one. The problem is if you don't have the talent to force teams to put him one on one with their worst OL, he's completely incapable of winning those matchups. But I don't think the Rams will have that problem if he's in the rotation and playing next to Donald and those other guys in your front. Jacksonville and LA are the two places that I see him being able to be the high output depth guy you want. Its a good get for a team that's clearly going all in this season.

Archived