Series of the Week: Yankees @ Red Sox

Eagles27

Now that we've got a sub-forum to hide all the team threads, let's start highlighting some of the bigger series in their own threads. We all know it can be tough to keep up with the gameday thread if you don't check the forum everyday, so hopefully this will make it easier for more casual members to jump in and discuss games with playoff implications. This doesn't need to be limited to 1 series a week, so feel free to highlight another matchup if you feel it could make an impact on the playoff race.

Not many better match-ups to start this than this rivalry.

Fri: Montgomery vs Pomeranz
Sat: Sabathia vs Sale
Sun: Gray vs Fister

Do Yankees fans think they can push themselves closer to the division lead?

@mission27, @bigbadbuff23835, @JammerHammer21, @1King, @BEASToftheEAST4, @BigD88, @elliot878, @Bobby816, @CaliforniaKid7, @HDsportsfan, @iLikeDefense, @Jaytotha, @Jetsfandan423, @marshawn lynch, @mike23md, @Nabbs4u, @pollino14, @roysmyboy31, @xenajets

Will the Red Sox knock the Yankees a little closer to rest of the Wild Card teams? 

@I_GET_SAX, @playmaker8267, @Deadpulse, @patdt13,@1ForTheThumb, @Boboso20, @Heavydan85, @husker_vikes3, @O'Doyle Rules, @iothar, @Dallasfan1313, @JohnnyV22

I'd love to continue to be confident but the only real consistent pitcher we've had is Sale and he torches the Yanks most often which means he is due to blow up. Some of the othe pitchers are building momentum but I don't trust that they won't explode in a game at some point. I hope we get good showing from our bats too especially Mookie, XB and Benintendi. Nunez and Devers have been very nice sparks over the last few weeks. 

^ I'm confident Sale won't blow up, but I'm confident Fister will. Whoever wins Friday will win the series. The Yankees have been hot recently and the Red Sox are due to cool down a bit. I'll say the Yankees win 4 of the last 7 games between these two teams, but ultimately end up with the Wild Card. Tough to emphasize how important tonight's game is though. Saturday is big advantage Red Sox and Sunday is big advantage Yankees. The rubber game is tonight as far as I'm concerned.

I've read (Farrell could have made another comment and I missed it) that they might skip Fister on Sunday and start Porcello on normal rest. They should absolutely do that, Fister is garbage.

Sox are rolling right now, but the Yankees have had their number this season. It seems like the rivalry has been rejuvenated a bit this season which is awesome. I'm pumped for this series.

The safest bet is whoever wins tonight wins the series.

This Yankee team is very unpredictable. There have been times through the year where the bullpen was blowing everything, and now their dominant again, and that goes the same with the rotation and lineup. They really haven't played well at the same time.

which is also why I think this team is real dangerous. If they put it together at the same time, they can match up with anyone.

Not sure what to expect. The Red Sox are a very good team, but not terrifying outside of Sale. But it's also hard to feel confident that the Yankees can show up consistently, because they rarely manage that.

I'm interested to see what the Yankees would do in a save situation. I don't think they can run Chapman out there right now, so it's probably... Dellin? Robertson? Not sure.

I think the Yankees take the game on Sunday with Gray, who's been solid, pitching. 

Hard to imagine the Yankees getting the best of Sale, especially with Sabathia on mound. 

The toss up is tonight's game. Me being biased, I'm gonna go with the Yanks. Seems that their bats have finally woken up and come alive these past few games. Unfortunately, I still think the Sox take the division this year when it's all said and done. 

Archived