74 members have voted

1. 1. Who should replace Dix?

• Tramon Williams
    • Josh Jackson
    • Josh Jones
    • Whitehead
    • Other (Green, Breeland, Brown)

5 minutes ago, SpeightTheVillain said:

I have no faith in Josh Jones. He is fine in the box but guy can't play deep at least from the sample size of last season. We basically only have box safeties and Brice at this point

FIFY.

I have no idea what Pettine and Co. will do, but for myself I think you give first crack to Jones unless he's been truly abysmal in practice.  There's simply too much physical talent there not to at least see if he can figure it out.  Whitehead already has a role as the dime back/utility DB, and while I like Greene he's certainly not getting the nod before Jones.  I know everyone wants to move a CB there, but I honestly dislike that move generally.  The positions aren't as similar as they seem, and an older CB has a lot of built in habits they have to ignore.  They can usually be serviceable, but there's little chance of anything more than that.  On top of all of that, the Packers have good man coverage CBs which helps negate the damage poor deep coverage will do.  It just seems like if ever there was a time to give Josh his shot, it's now.  Or maybe next week, starting him against the Pats seems a little like throwing him to the wolves.

2 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Why waste a roster spot on Trevor Davis when we have Randall Cobb?

Davis is the only player on the roster that I feel has a legitimate chance of breaking a big return.  Maybe MVS on kick-offs (and Alexander on punts, but zero chance of that happening), but literally anyone else is just putting a body out there to catch the ball.  That's fine, the Packers have Rodgers, but if you want the return game to be any kind of a positive, Davis is the guy IMO.  

Just now, MrBobGray said:

Davis is the only player on the roster that I feel has a legitimate chance of breaking a big return.  Maybe MVS on kick-offs (and Alexander on punts, but zero chance of that happening), but literally anyone else is just putting a body out there to catch the ball.  That's fine, the Packers have Rodgers, but if you want the return game to be any kind of a positive, Davis is the guy IMO.  

We shouldn't even have a returner for kick offs.  Just a kick off catcher would be fine.

Jones was pissed he wasn't starting, Mac was happy to hear someone was pissed about wanting to play, Jones had to earn it. He turned in the best ST performance of the season yesterday. He gets the nod to me. In 3rd and long or obvious passing downs you put him up in the box and put Tramon or Breeland back there.

Only guy I don't want to see if Jackson. Dude is a CB, don't waste him at S.

Just now, Packerraymond said:

Jones was pissed he wasn't starting, Mac was happy to hear someone was pissed about wanting to play, Jones had to earn it. He turned in the best ST performance of the season yesterday. He gets the nod to me. In 3rd and long or obvious passing downs you put him up in the box and put Tramon or Breeland back there.

Hell put em in Whiteheads role on third downs

Just now, Packerraymond said:

I'm on-board with all of this, but honestly I'm leaving Jones out there even on long passing downs at least for a little.  The Packers need to see if he can find enough of a feel playing deep to not be a liability, because if not they'll probably want to invest in safety in a significant way either in the draft or FA.

Just now, Gopackgonerd said:

Hell put em in Whiteheads role on third downs

Nah Whitehead has played well there. Leave him in that role. Jones is the athlete to get it done, just need reps IMO. He's a punk too like Jaire, if it clicks for him there's a whole lot of attitude and swagger we haven't had on this D in awhile.

I thought the knock on Jones was that he’s bad in coverage.  Why would we want him at FS then?  We’d have 2 safeties who couldn’t cover anyone. 

How about Tramon at FS and Jones at SS?  Let Jackson take Tramon’s spot at CB. 

6 minutes ago, MrBobGray said:

We have Rodgers and offensive weapons that I like.  I just want the kick returner and punt returner to not screw up (this is not a new opinion from me).

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Nah Whitehead has played well there. Leave him in that role. Jones is the athlete to get it done, just need reps IMO. He's a punk too like Jaire, if it clicks for him there's a whole lot of attitude and swagger we haven't had on this D in awhile.

Ya I've always felt that too, he was just never given a chance this year on defense.

Just now, thrILL! said:

I thought the knock on Jones was that he’s bad in coverage.  Why would we want him at FS then?  We’d have 2 safeties who couldn’t cover anyone. 

I think like one game vs the panthers he gave up a big play, but I don't recall if he did on a regular basis.

Just now, thrILL! said:

See what Jones has.  If he is awful, we need a stronger investment at safety.  Then we just hope it isn't a flash in the pan like Brad Jones.

Archived