Long expected to miss 6-8 weeks

beardown3231

1 hour ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Possibly back for the playoffs, but I hate to say it, I think Pace starts to think about a long term replacement.

Absolutely, because that's what the good GMs do.  Long will be 30 entering next season with a long list of injuries and you wonder how much longer his body will hold up. 

That said this doesn't appear to be an overly serious injury meaning he should be good to go for 2019 where he's due just $6.9M.  I think he still provides good value. But yes, Bears should have a backup plan heading into 2019.

Maybe this Witzmann guy can hold it down in the meantime.  He started 13 games for the Chiefs last year.

I'm glad it's 6-8 weeks and not something that is going to put him on the shelf for a longer period of time.

My hope is that he can go into the off-season and train rather than need to get surgery/rehab.

18 hours ago, blkwdw13 said:

Something needs to be done about his contract going forward. He can’t be paid as much as he is and keep missing about half the season. 

It was a bad contract for Bears.  I wanted to trade him high rather than resign him and got tomatoes thrown at me. He is a well liked guy by fans.

It cost more to cut him than to keep him until 2020.  2020 he gets cut and will likely retire IMO rather than keep damaging his body beyond repair.  If Bears keep him in 2020 it is out of pure sentiment.

I would rather draft OTs/DL in 3rd or lower every year and convert them to guards/centers and always have a pipeline going. 

At lower levels of football college, HS on down the better player gets put on DL first and then OT.  The left overs go to guard and center usually.   If you are patient and can develop players you can find better athletes to play these positions by doing above.   Guys like Daniels and Long are exceptions to the rule.  Daniels I don't know why and Long because he was a baseball player.

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

It was a bad contract for Bears.  I wanted to trade him high rather than resign him and got tomatoes thrown at me. He is a well liked guy by fans.

It cost more to cut him than to keep him until 2020.  2020 he gets cut and will likely retire IMO rather than keep damaging his body beyond repair.  If Bears keep him in 2020 it is out of pure sentiment.

I would rather draft OTs/DL in 3rd or lower every year and convert them to guards/centers and always have a pipeline going. 

At lower levels of football college, HS on down the better player gets put on DL first and then OT.  The left overs go to guard and center usually.   If you are patient and can develop players you can find better athletes to play these positions by doing above.   Guys like Daniels and Long are exceptions to the rule.  Daniels I don't know why and Long because he was a baseball player.

Daniels was a LT his freshman year, then moved inside to center, bc Iowa has a steady stream of tackle prospects every year, Ferentz also finds big athletic freaks at other positions and convinces them to play OT, typically TEs.

1 hour ago, abstract_thought said:

I can't help but think that James Daniels was drafted as Long's replacement and insurance policy. The Bears won't have a lot of picks next year but they may be able to pick up a project in the later rounds or maybe some veteran depth.

Daniels was drafted as Sittons replacement and an insurance policy if Whitehair couldn't work out the snap issues.

The more I look into it, the more I’m starting to think we may have seen the last of Kyle Long in a Bears jersey. I just don’t know how you can justify paying a Guard $8.5m who will have missed a combined 23 games in the past 3 seasons. He has an out clause in his contract after this year as well

Archived