Broncos VS Texans GDT

broncofan48

1 minute ago, titans0021 said:

The second they started to run the clock to settle for that kick, you just knew he was missing. There’s going conservative and then there’s that. I’m not sure even the Mularkey era Titans just happily decide to put the game on the line with a 51 yarder.

That's literally Jason Garrett vs. WAS Week 6 level badness.   Both moves should get coaches fired TBH.   It's just going to happen sooner in DEN.

12 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

That's literally Jason Garrett vs. WAS Week 6 level badness.   Both moves should get coaches fired TBH.   It's just going to happen sooner in DEN.

You think I see vj lasting till the end of the year. Whats elways interm head coach? The team didn't just lay down.

I hope I'm wrong I just don't see a plan b

7 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

You think I see vj lasting till the end of the year. Whats elways interm head coach? The team didn't just lay down.

I hope I'm wrong I just don't see a plan b

That's the part that makes me so mad; these guys are playing HARD. And they've got some talent on this team. Can't help but wonder what we would look like right now with a top notch coaching staff that didn't consistently put them in bad positions. But your right; who would we use to replace VJ right now? Mid season is a pretty hard time to find a coach.

28 minutes ago, 1234567 said:

That's the part that makes me so mad; these guys are playing HARD. And they've got some talent on this team. Can't help but wonder what we would look like right now with a top notch coaching staff that didn't consistently put them in bad positions. But your right; who would we use to replace VJ right now? Mid season is a pretty hard time to find a coach.

That's not frustrating to me at all we seen the rams turn around after Fisher sucked. A good coach and draft and well be in business. 

What would a one and done wild card birth do for us this year?

Feel bad for this team, especially the Defense.  They fought so hard today. And other than the FG at the end of the 1st half on a short field, and the TD after the Booker turnover on a short field - they gave up 9 ( should have been 10) points.  And I really hate losing to BOB.  

This could be a decent (not great mind you, but decent) team with decent coaching and average QB play). But the poor playcalling, the needless penalties, the mind-boggling in game decisions, and Keenum’s poor play are more than they can overcome.  Frustrating and sad.

The FG at the end of the first half...I was screaming at the TV.  STUPIDEST call ever.  Knew exactly what was going to happen.  Settling for for  50yard field goal with 40 seconds left or whatever - knew exactly how that would turn out too - maybe stupider than the other call.  And that’s not even counting all the times they ended up with LB’s and Safeties on Hopkins. How does that ever happen?

A game they should have won with decent coaching.  A season they’d be competitive in with decent coaching and decent QB play.  Instead, just wasted opportunity after wasted opportunity.  

I wanted a QB and a decent coach.  Please. Is that too much to ask for?

7 minutes ago, DiehardBronxFan said:

Feel bad for this team, especially the Defense.  They fought so hard today. And other than the FG at the end of the 1st half on a short field, and the TD after the Booker turnover on a short field - they gave up 9 ( should have been 10) points.  And I really hate losing to BOB.  

This could be a decent (not great mind you, but decent) team with decent coaching and average QB play). But the poor playcalling, the needless penalties, the mind-boggling in game decisions, and Keenum’s poor play are more than they can overcome.  Frustrating and sad.

The FG at the end of the first half...I was screaming at the TV.  STUPIDEST call ever.  Knew exactly what was going to happen.  Settling for for  50yard field goal with 40 seconds left or whatever - knew exactly how that would turn out too - maybe stupider than the other call.  And that’s not even counting all the times they ended up with LB’s and Safeties on Hopkins. How does that ever happen?

A game they should have won with decent coaching.  A season they’d be competitive in with decent coaching and decent QB play.  Instead, just wasted opportunity after wasted opportunity.  

I wanted a QB and a decent coach.  Please. Is that too much to ask for?

They don't have a decent coach or qb this season is what it is. I hope they keep playing hard. Other then that it's a wasted season. 

BTW, in case anyone wasn't clear on how bad of a job VJ did today, let's recap, it's a doozie:

-Challenged a meaningless Nuk Hopkins catch that clearly was never getting reversed under 2018's rules.  Which shows he doesn't understand 2018's rules.

-Rushed the DEN ST unit to try a 62-yard FG (which in altitude, is definitely do-able).   But as they were rushed (weren't even lined up until 8 secs were left on the play clock, and weren't ready to snap until 4 secs left), then it was one of the worst FG attempts you will ever see.

-The field position then allowed HOU to get a FG of their own, where VJ then uses the TO to freeze the HOU K, who missed on the 1st attempt as he called TO, but then made the 2nd.   Now, that's just standard coaching strategy, so can't really put that on VJ, but just typical.

-On 2nd down, when HOU is trying to kill clock and get another 1st down that would have a GW drive really tough - VJ calls a TO, despite the fact the HOU OL is hurt.   OK, not great. But worse, when the officials call an injury TO and offers Vance to get back his TO - he refuses.   And still takes the TO, even though this only saves 25 secs left, at most.   SMH.  

-But the clincher - when Keenum somehow converts a 4th and 8 to get the ball to the HOU 35 with 45+ secs left and 1 TO still left (and HOU with only 1 TO, so can't force the clock to stop)...he lets the O run 2 short-yardage plays that only net 1 yard in those 45 secs.   NO attempt to get really closer.  And of course, the missed 51-yard FG by McManus.

Now, McManus gets the goat horns for sure - that's what K's are paid to do.  But VJ's coaching as if a 50+ yard FG is a lock, even in Mile High, well, that's just nuts.    

It's so nuts, that look at BoB's reaction as he leaves the field.  Yeah, he gets the score....

Even BoB knows how much of a gift he was given.

Wow that really does look like that's what BoB was saying.

Look, no one wanted Vance as the head coach here. I still, nearly two years later, am wondering what it was Elway & Co. saw in him. Even with Mac I could see what appeal Ellis saw; a young, bright, articulate, energetic guy from the best franchise in modern pro sports. With Vance, I don't see any of that. Nothing in his pedigree or coaching history pointed to the next big thing. That being said, is Vance is bad guy? No, his past at CU when he was investigated for assault notwithstanding, I don't think so. Would I enjoy having a beer with him? Probably. Vance will be gone at year's end. Things are bad but they're not bad enough that there are 20,000+ empty seats. Elway & Co. are going to let him coach out the season and clean house in January. 

What has me the most disappointed is that this was just another wasted year. A wasted year of the primes of Von and CHJ, among others, a wasted year on Case when we could have drafted a QB, a wasted year with a HC we knew wasn't the right guy this time last year. Just a wasted year all around. Let's hope the draft we had in April - where the FO really did a good job with their new approach - carries over to early 2019 and beyond. 

10 minutes ago, titanrick said:

Except you can see at the end of that clip, it's from half time.  When Vance called the time out to ice Fairbairn and inadvertently let him have a second chance, which he converted.

Ah, good catch.   So imagine what he must have said at the end of the game...

BTW, as I head to bed, while better coaching would have clearly put us in a much better position to win the game, consider a few things:

1.   We had HFA.  Other than the KC game, we've gotten totally run out of the building on the road (and even KC, we were down 2 scores much of the 2H).

2.   HOU lost more OL to their bottom 5 pass pro unit.   So it set up even better for our pass rush, and it showed,   Watson was under fire the whole time.

3.   HOU literally only had Nuk Hopkins.   DT was so unfamiliar with the playbook, they took 2 TO's to get him in position, and even for 3-4 more plays in the 4Q, he was clearly lost.   No shame in that, he literally was working on 3 days practice.  He'll be a lot better after their bye.  But it shows that we basically had to only account for #10 as a WR - which made the TD really inexcusable.   And really adds a huge asterisk to our pass D coverage performance (literally playing against scrubs/JAG's as the 3rd WR/TE's, and DT who had no idea what his exact pattern/field assignment was most of the 2H).

4.  Our run D just absolutely stuffed their run game.    So it was really just the HOU pass game...with 1 WR (albeit an elite one).

5.  HOU's CB's are just awful.  Their pass rush masks their weaknesses.  Yet Keenum couldn't really take advantage.  And given he had time, it shows the limitations he has.  He didn't turn it over today, but in reality, there were 2 throws that should have been picked (but again, that's how bad HOU's CB's are).

Now, our OL did a very good job against their pass rush.  And I liked what I saw from Cravens, he definitely brought some toughness and better pass coverage skills for our hybrid position.  And Huermann flashed some nice moves to get important first downs.   So that's all good.   And, really, our team fought hard.   That's great.  

But, while coaching clearly costs us points, and in a 2-pt game, it's pretty easy to say it cost us a W - we're still incomplete in so many important ways.   We do have great young talent now at WR/RB, and Huermann's offering hope for TE (ironic that he's now a UFA).   And Jewell/Cravens offer us hope that the TE/RB pass coverage will be better.  But our 2nd/3rd CB issues were just not tested today, and our OL play is now going to get a massive test with Paradis gone. 

The only silver lining is that this may allow us to sign Paradis at relatively team-friendly FA rates.   Long-term, that's a plus.  But for 2018, our D's holes are going to get really exposed when we play O's with more weapons - and our schedule reads @LAC, PIT, @CIN.   So yeah....going to get pretty ugly, even off the bye.   Oh well, at least our young guys are still our best guys, and our team has spirit and fight.

Archived