Maryland fires DJ Durkin

JammerHammer21

2 hours ago, NateDawg said:

Good on the student body and players.

Lets not pretend though that this was about UMD doing the right thing. It was about the backlash making things far worse keeping him.

Agreed 100%, and it's going to hurt them in the long run.  Most reasonable people can understand letting the facts play out and doing due diligence in investigation.  For them to allow Durkin back, and immediately fire him 24 hours later, means there were no plans to do the right thing.  They've proven they are out to save themselves as much money as possible, while trying to retain their athletic programs.  Now, I bet they take a giant hit across the board, and not just with football.  This is a black eye for Maryland that is not going to go away for some time. 

1 hour ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

They don't make us any money I have no idea why there's this cone of silence around the issue at large.

Someone is dead, and nobody is being held accountable at seemingly any conceivable level. 

Durkin was quoted in the report as saying he didn't know who should be supervising the Strength and Conditioning coach that he made his first hire, and that he wasn't trained properly for this job.  Ridiculous.  

Jaded perspective time.

Gov. Hogan is in the middle of a highly contested election year and probably put pressure on the DA to keep this from escalating into a talking point or something Jealous could use against him. That's all I'll say.

It's not highly contested.  Hogan has a top five approval rating for governor's across the country, usually at #1 or #2.  That is saying something for a Republican governor in a deep blue state, and he has much higher support amongst minorities than his Republican predecessor in office had as well.  Jealous doesn't have a legit shot against Hogan, and I don't believe this played any sort of role in Durkin/UMD issues.  

7 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Durkin was quoted in the report as saying he didn't know who should be supervising the Strength and Conditioning coach that he made his first hire, and that he wasn't trained properly for this job.  Ridiculous.  

I believe this is called "criminal negligence" tbh

I believe this is called "criminal negligence" tbh

I mean, I run a business as GM for the owner.  In all of my years working lower positions, it has been training me for taking that job.  Once I took the job, I took all of the responsibility that came with it.  If someone under me were to be stealing money or product, and I said I didn't know who was supposed to be supervising them, I'd immediately be fired.  No questions asked, just told to get out.  In this situation, a kid died and no one is being held accountable, and no one questioned this outlandishly false statement. 

Tuesday's practice saw a "pro-Durkin" player- believed to be a punter- lay out a player thought to be a whistleblower- also a punter- who required stitches before leaving practice and has a shoulder injury. 

https://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/11/01/report-pro-durkin-maryland-player-viciously-punched-rumored-whistleblower-teammate-during-practice-altercation/

In regards to Loh he didn't handle things perfectly and some things very wrong, but I don't this ending is one of them. He was in an impossible position with the Board recommending reinstatement since he does technically answer to them. I would have liked if he stood his ground right then, but I'm not going to blame HIM for not. The people on the Board that voted for reinstatement all need to go.

This just makes Maryland look so bad... jesus.

1. Make outrageous decision to reinstate coaches.

2. Cave in to the angry mob and reverse decision in less than a day.

Now I will say better late than never, true, but you'd think they put a ton of thought into this decision and had their reasons. Obviously not the case given how quickly they flipped the decision. Their board looks like a joke.

17 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

This just makes Maryland look so bad... jesus.

1. Make outrageous decision to reinstate coaches.

2. Cave in to the angry mob and reverse decision in less than a day.

Now I will say better late than never, true, but you'd think they put a ton of thought into this decision and had their reasons. Obviously not the case given how quickly they flipped the decision. Their board looks like a joke.

The board wants nothing more than for basketball to return to the glory days of Gary Williams always being in contention for a national title, and for the football team to at least be a perennial top 25 team.  That prompted their move out of the ACC to the Big Ten.  They are measuring themselves on athletics only. 

33 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

The board wants nothing more than for basketball to return to the glory days of Gary Williams always being in contention for a national title, and for the football team to at least be a perennial top 25 team.  That prompted their move out of the ACC to the Big Ten.  They are measuring themselves on athletics only. 

Which is ridiculous because they make no money and rely on UA to prop them up entirely Phil Knight style.

14 hours ago, mse326 said:

In regards to Loh he didn't handle things perfectly and some things very wrong, but I don't this ending is one of them. He was in an impossible position with the Board recommending reinstatement since he does technically answer to them. I would have liked if he stood his ground right then, but I'm not going to blame HIM for not. The people on the Board that voted for reinstatement all need to go.

I don't think you can look at his past failures as independent of this. Had he done the right thing and settled with the McNair family immediately, or had he hired a firm which would have conducted a real, thorough investigation instead of throwing excuses against a wall and hoping something sticks, that could have impacted the board's thinking.

When the board made their decision, there was public backlash potential, but virtually no monetary reason or smoking gun from the investigation. You can argue Loh was beholden to them, but he also could have supplied them more information than he did.

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I don't think you can look at his past failures as independent of this. Had he done the right thing and settled with the McNair family immediately, or had he hired a firm which would have conducted a real, thorough investigation instead of throwing excuses against a wall and hoping something sticks, that could have impacted the board's thinking.

When the board made their decision, there was public backlash potential, but virtually no monetary reason or smoking gun from the investigation. You can argue Loh was beholden to them, but he also could have supplied them more information than he did.

Unless you think he sought out someone to make excuses I don't think you can blame him for that. And given that all reports suggested he wanted to fire him from the start I don't know how you can think that is the case.

I don't buy that the board wasn't involved from the start in the hiring and settlement decisions. I think you are putting too much on him.

Archived