Week 9 GDT: Titans at Cowboys

Titans fan 617

4 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

#FortheBoys. :)

I love that he learned his lesson, because I was actually unhappy when he said that to begin with. Even before the losing streak.

That's for us, the fans, to say. The players shouldn't be worrying about what the media says.

I went through @NFLMatchup on Twitter clear back to October 30th and never saw a stat they posted about 3rd down drop percentage. More than one person saw it, so it was obviously there, but I can't find it now. 11 hours ago they have just the plain drop percentage stats.

I wanted to do the math on what the actual difference in drops per game on third down it came out to be.

Henry had 6 carries. Lewis had 19. He's in the backseat now.

Mariota had 10 carries, but 2 of them were sneaks. I didn't realize how often he ran the ball tonight.

Davis had 6 for 56 yards. He was basically that TD away from looking at a really good performance, but still solid for him.

Sharpe had 1 for 0 yards. Not sure if the pregame injury affected him. Any word?

Zeke had 17 carries for 61 yards. 3.6 per carry. Held him down after he had a strong start.

30 minutes ago, ragevsuall17 said:

#1 scoring defense in the NFL so far... Overall points and ppg

This war one of the funnest games I've experienced as a Titan fan... 

Yeah this defense is good. Would be even better if we'd stop giving opposing offenses the ball in our own territory.

I understand the "same ol titans" posts to some extent, but this defense has earned the right to be removed from the "same ol titans" discussion. This is the best defense we've had since 2008. Don't think it's as good as that defense, but at the same time offenses have it a lot easier now than they did even then. The NFL is designed for offenses to move the ball now adays. Stopping the scoring is what's most important. And even in terms of yards it's not like we're doing poorly, they're the 8th ranked defense in terms of ypg allowed.

Even though our offense has been very poor at scoring, they have at least been decent at moving the ball some and that has helped our defense. There were times in the past when it was impossible to judge the defense because our offense went 3-and-out on every possession. Despite a lack of scoring now, we don't see that. We're one of the top teams in the NFL in time of possession.

We may not be scoring, but the other team can't score if they're not on the field... Usually.

29 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

And I think earlier most of you thought I was just hating on Mariota for that strip sack. I wasn't at all. He had an amazing game tonight.

I would say most of us thought that because your immediate reaction was to post about Mariota not stepping up. Not Conklin getting murdered. But Mariota, for having his eyes downfield on 3rd and long. From snap to strip was under two seconds. Mariota had barely reached the top of his drop when he got the ball knocked away. And even then, his first move after reaching the top of his drop was to take a small step forward. Why was it just a small step forward?

Let's watch the play again.

Where exactly is Marcus supposed to step into on this play? Lewan's man is getting pushed right up the middle and into his face. Spain was getting beat on the left side. I guess there's a tiny window to slip through in front of Lawrence and around Kline? If you watch that play and your immediate reaction is to criticize Mariota, it kind of just says where your head is at.

Like, the best opportunity I could see for an argument that he could've stepped up was at the two second mark above. But at that point, Lawrence is completely to the right of him and out of his field of vision, especially when you look and see that his two reads are running longer-developing crossers and are directly in the middle of the field, which is where his eyes are. Imagine if he steps up and directly into Lewan's man. Then we get to hear all about how he's running into sacks again.

There were numerous times in this exact game where Mariota hits the top of his drop and steps up in the pocket. It's not all that uncommon. He could have there he just clearly didn't see the edge rusher or he wouldn't have had the football up there to be knocked away. That step was part of his footwork/timing, not an attempt to step into the pocket to avoid pressure. He didn't sense any pressure.

I understand that not even the best do it every single time, but don't say he had no other option but a strip sack when I watched him avoid it numerous times in the same game. 

He was sacked 4 times and avoided pressure a lot tonight and did a good job more often than not. 

Archived