Week 9 GDT: Titans at Cowboys

Titans fan 617

3 hours ago, ragevsuall17 said:

Why not.  It's true.  If Butler rebounds and plays up to his previous standard... he's the type of player that can win us a game.  Sims is not... simple as that. 

Challenging Butler is fine, but I don’t think you have to belittle another player in the process. Seems like a good way to lose a locker room over the long haul. Basically I think stuff like this should be handled in house and not in the media. 

5 hours ago, TwoToneBlue said:

Not really a fan of Vrabel saying X player is better than Y player whether he believes it or not.

I agree. U don’t call out your players like that in public. Sims is one play away from being pressed into action. 

1 hour ago, TwoToneBlue said:

Challenging Butler is fine, but I don’t think you have to belittle another player in the process. Seems like a good way to lose a locker room over the long haul. Basically I think stuff like this should be handled in house and not in the media. 

Belittling? Is it belittling to Gabbert since it's obvious Mariota is better than him, even with no feeling in his hand? 

It is what it is.

Like it or not, Butler is here for the next 1.5 years at the very least. I'm glad the coaches aren't giving up on him... I still believe he turns it around. 

4 hours ago, TitanRedd said:

Maybe an extension to lower his cap # makes sense

There's no way. He's our best corner. And 10 mill a year for a CB whose covering at a high level is a bargain. He's essentially playing two positions by playing outside in base and moving inside in nickle. Heck his versatility is a saving grace considering the expectation was likely for Butler and Jackson to start full time outside. Forget INTs, notice that Ryan took Prescott's favorite WR, Cole Beasley, virtually out of the game. He's not playing at an All Pro level, but he's DEFINITELY earning every bit of his salary. 

Interesting take on Mariota's redzone miss of Davis from Blake Beddingfield:

The incompletion to Corey Davis in the end zone was a good miss. Vander Esch dropped into the zone right in the lane that Mariota was passing into. If he would have lowered the throw it could have been picked by the 6-foot-4 LB. Sometimes a miss is a good thing.

Also this from him:

Marcus Mariota is the best player on the Titans offense. It isn’t even a question anymore.

Butler's play is infuriating to me. Its like he's not self aware of his own limitations. Both TDs were egregious technique mistakes. The Amari Cooper one was bad because he gave up outside leverage by being over aggressive on his jam.  If Cooper releases inside on a slant. Kenny Vaccaro is literally standing right in his path in a short zone. Butler should know where his help is and there for realize that he has to protect against any out breaking route. The over aggressive jam caused him to lose outside leverage and Cooper took advantage of it on that whip route.  He lost outside leverage, and you see that he's not athletic enough to flip his hips, change his direction and make up space when beaten. Amari easily beat him to the plylon.

Now I do think Butler settled down. Amari only had 5/58/1. However that could also be because a poorly managed Cowboy's offense made a mistake not feeding him more. I'm terrified at what Butler will face this weekvs Brady and Co. 

8 hours ago, titansNvolsR#1 said:

If that sentence breaks him on the field then he was trash to begin with.

My comment was directed towards Vrabel as a head coach not Sims the player. There are some things head coaches don't do in the media.  

I heard Beddingfields take on Davis' missed TD opportunity and I'm still in disagreement with it. The LB underneath prevents Mariota from throwing a bullet, not from completing that pass. There was more than enough room between Davis and the LB to drop it over his head.

And when Mariota plays like he did Monday night he is unquestionably the best player on our offense. Even his critics aren't denying that. The reason he's not the best player on our offense is because he doesn't do that consistently at all.

For Beddingfield to say that Monday night is the determining factor of what he is and to ignore his lousy performance two weeks ago tells you where his bias lies on the issue. 

If Mariota does that on a weekly basis, then that's what he is, but that hasn't been the norm. Hopefully he starts stringing these good performances together and shuts up the people like me for the last two weeks because I don't like the idea of not having a QB either.

8 hours ago, TitanLegend said:

Interesting take on Mariota's redzone miss of Davis from Blake Beddingfield:

Also this from him:

I definitely noticed the LB dropping back that’s why I wasn’t upset with the miss. And it wasn’t an ugly miss either, if Davis head got around quicker he probably could have jumped and caught it. 

2 hours ago, TitanSS said:

I heard Beddingfields take on Davis' missed TD opportunity and I'm still in disagreement with it. The LB underneath prevents Mariota from throwing a bullet, not from completing that pass. There was more than enough room between Davis and the LB to drop it over his head.

And when Mariota plays like he did Monday night he is unquestionably the best player on our offense. Even his critics aren't denying that. The reason he's not the best player on our offense is because he doesn't do that consistently at all.

For Beddingfield to say that Monday night is the determining factor of what he is and to ignore his lousy performance two weeks ago tells you where his bias lies on the issue. 

If Mariota does that on a weekly basis, then that's what he is, but that hasn't been the norm. Hopefully he starts stringing these good performances together and shuts up the people like me for the last two weeks because I don't like the idea of not having a QB either.

I agree... it was a bad pass.  He was wide open, and more than enough space to get that ball in there.  He didn't set himself, hurried the throw, and missed it.  Simple as that. 

But that was his only bad pass/wrong decision on the night.  We won by 2 scores... put up 28 points against the top scoring defense at that point... a team that was undefeated at home and even stingier at giving up points at home (under 15 to that point).

Can't you just get past the one mistake and enjoy the good game he had?

And can us Mariota supporters acknowledge that sustained consistency is one the main issues people who question Mariota have... he's going to need string a few games together before there's at least a little buy in again. 

Man... how I would love him to repeat that stretch he had in 2016, weeks 5-12... 8 games, 67 comp %, 2073 yards, 21 TDs, 3 ints 117 rating, and additional 238/2 on the ground.  That would shut some people up.

Archived