Chubb, Rookie of the month.

AKRNA

I believe I also read a stat that he is on pace to break or get very close to the rookie QB pressure record and is currently top 10 in the NFL in that category.  Which to me is the more meaningful stat right now, as many like to attribute his success to Miller.  No doubt Miller is helping, but he’s winning 1 vs 1 battles and getting after the QB as consistently as any rusher in the league.  

He’s going to be a Bronco great.  He isn’t Robert Ayers, not even close.  Far more explosive than Ayers ever was just watching on tape and his combine #s easily trump Ayers in every category.  

13 hours ago, germ-x said:

I believe I also read a stat that he is on pace to break or get very close to the rookie QB pressure record and is currently top 10 in the NFL in that category.  Which to me is the more meaningful stat right now, as many like to attribute his success to Miller.  No doubt Miller is helping, but he’s winning 1 vs 1 battles and getting after the QB as consistently as any rusher in the league.  

He’s going to be a Bronco great.  He isn’t Robert Ayers, not even close.  Far more explosive than Ayers ever was just watching on tape and his combine #s easily trump Ayers in every category.  

He looks like a top 5 draft pick talent to me then. When we made the pick I had no doubts it would be a great pick. I personally think elway made that pick because of Bill Kollar hes our best coach . Elway still wanted to field a contender entering the year. And it's no coincidence elway went Chubb knowing Bill could get the most out of him.

I can't wait till we get other great coaches so we may be able to develop a qb one day lol.

He's getting better, but sorry, I don't see it the same way everyone else who has commented on this post does. I don't see the power rush to compensate for the lack of speed rush, and I don't see the lateral agility to be considered an elite edge run defender.

I've no doubt he can be a very good OLB, but this will always come back to how well Rosen and Allen turn out. Is that Chubb's fault? Nope, not at all. But it certainly is Elway's.

1 hour ago, lomaxgrUK said:

He's getting better, but sorry, I don't see it the same way everyone else who has commented on this post does. I don't see the power rush to compensate for the lack of speed rush, and I don't see the lateral agility to be considered an elite edge run defender.

I've no doubt he can be a very good OLB, but this will always come back to how well Rosen and Allen turn out. Is that Chubb's fault? Nope, not at all. But it certainly is Elway's.

yeah...Rosen and Allen are looking amazing!  

14 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Because we are supposed to evaluate rookie QB’s year 1 performance now for good.   Wentz, Goff, etc.   Got it.  

Well, just some devil's advocate, because I really wanted Rosen, if the QBs can improve why can't Chubb?  I realize a good QB is the most important position, but look at Carr.  Do you really think Rosen or Allen would be developing positively under this staff and behind our line?  Chubb has 7 sacks already, if he gets to double digit sacks this year, no matter how he got them is impressive.  And if his presence helps to lengthen Von's career then thats a boon as well.

21 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Because we are supposed to evaluate rookie QB’s year 1 performance now for good.   Wentz, Goff, etc.   Got it.  

Not much different then many continuing to act as if Bradley Chubb is JAG even after he had a highly productive college career, posted combine numbers that were exceptional for a 6’4” 270 pounder (basically he has done everything to suggest he’d be a terrific edge player in the NFL)  and then comes out and is on elite rookie edge defender pace...

22 minutes ago, broncofan48 said:

Well, just some devil's advocate, because I really wanted Rosen, if the QBs can improve why can't Chubb?  I realize a good QB is the most important position, but look at Carr.  Do you really think Rosen or Allen would be developing positively under this staff and behind our line?  Chubb has 7 sacks already, if he gets to double digit sacks this year, no matter how he got them is impressive.  And if his presence helps to lengthen Von's career then thats a boon as well.

ARI’s O-line is worse than ours - why he stunk the joint vs. us.   But watch how he’s progressing, despite that.    It’s really only injury risk where there’s an issue.   Goff at the same point didn’t even look nearly as good (which is the best comp as their skills are most similar). 

18 minutes ago, germ-x said:

Not much different then many continuing to act as if Bradley Chubb is JAG even after he had a highly productive college career, posted combine numbers that were exceptional for a 6’4” 270 pounder (basically he has done everything to suggest he’d be a terrific edge player in the NFL)  and then comes out and is on elite rookie edge defender pace...

Well I actually have nothing against Chubb - as I said many times, he’s a complete 2-way player who works well as a Robin, but not as an elite solo pass rusher.   He wins with motor and technique and we are seeing that.    He’s played well with Von taking the attention.  A closer look does show he’s doing it as advertised - as the Robin, not as the Batman.   But he’s not a bust, either - that was never going to be the issue.  The issue is that as good as Rookie of the month is - it’s nowhere near as valuable as the franchise QB.   

As I’ve said many times, I don’t have a problem with Chubb himself.   If ppl are taking issue with Chubb being called a bust, well no argument - but I didn’t make that call, never have.   That wasn’t my point - we all know rookie QB’s are throwaway years first year - it’s why Elway wasn’t willing to draft one this year with D.   To act like QB performance now closes the book on the decision is just as ridiculous.    Given what Rosen is likely to be and how bad our QB situation looks to be, it’s still looking barring injury,  Rosen is the guy we will regret passing on.   It’s just that Chubb won’t compound the issue by failing to pan out - which most ppl did recognize, myself included. 

Either way, though - nothing but respect for Chubb’s season.   Shouldn’t end on anything but a high note for him.  

3 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Well I actually have nothing against Chubb - as I said many times, he’s a complete 2-way player who works well as a Robin, but not as an elite pass rusher.   He wins with motor and technique and we are seeing that.    He’s played well with Von taking the attention.  But he’s not a bust, either - that was never the issue.  The issue is that as good as Rookie of the month is - it’s nowhere near as valuable as the franchise QB.   

As I’ve said many times, I don’t have a problem with Chubb himself.   If ppl are taking issue with Chubb being callef a bust, well no argument - but I didn’t make that call, never have.   That wasn’t my point - we all know rookie QB’s are throwaway years first year - it’s why Elway wasn’t willing to draft one this year with D.   To act like QB performance now closes the book on the decision is just as ridiculous.   

It doesn’t close the book but Carr, a guy I was interested in is a good cautionary tale.  Say Denver drafted Rosen and he gets the hell beat out of him here.  Lack of good coaching and OL

Its not as simple as plug and play, there’s no one in Denver ATM who can develop a QB I don’t think.

Draft Rosen/Allen when there’s no one to develop him properly and in 3 years everyone here is crucifying Elway for a wasted top 5 pick

16 minutes ago, broncofan48 said:

It doesn’t close the book but Carr, a guy I was interested in is a good cautionary tale.  Say Denver drafted Rosen and he gets the hell beat out of him here.  Lack of good coaching and OL

Its not as simple as plug and play, there’s no one in Denver ATM who can develop a QB I don’t think.

Draft Rosen/Allen when there’s no one to develop him properly and in 3 years everyone here is crucifying Elway for a wasted top 5 pick

ARI’s O-line is worse than ours - why he stunk the joint vs. us.   And Rosen had freaking Mike McCoy as the OC.  We know how bad that is.  So Rosen clearly has had the worst possible situation - even worse than being with us.  

But watch how he’s progressing, despite that.    It’s really only injury risk where there’s an issue.   Goff at the same point didn’t even look nearly as good (which is the best comp as their skills are most similar).   Add in that we are probably going to take a much bigger risk next year and you compound the effect.   If ppl had Q’s on Rosen next year they are 10x.  So that’s also a huge part of the equation.    Getting killed for wasting a Rd1 pick in 2019 on QB will be far more likely in this QB class than what you are worried about with Rosen.

Either way though - I’ll do nothing but show respect for Chubb, since it’s his thread lol.  

3 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Yeah..but they are like really bad in comparison...at least Wentz and Goff flashed some good moments in their rookie campaigns. 

7 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

Yeah..but they are like really bad in comparison...at least Wentz and Goff flashed some good moments in their rookie campaigns. 

Show me the Goff 2016 highlights.  They are pretty few and far between.   Now that he's broken out - people forget fans were actually questioning if he should even be a starter.    Textbook case of recall bias - now that he's great, people don't remember the actual rookie year.   As for Rosen, the MIN & SF comebacks (MIN then went ahead for good later) are already there.   And again, that's on an OL that's worse than our current one...and MIKE MCCOY as the OC.   Mike Freaking McCoy.     So the argument that we'd be unable to achieve any success - it's impossible to say ARI is any easier of a test than we would be .    It's just the guy was successful even as a freshman, and has owned the QB skillset of accuracy, anticipation, placement  and pocket awareness, along with old-school willingness to hang in the pocket that translates most to NFL success.    Again, the only risk with Rosen is injury (and it's a legit one). 

None of which takes anything away from Chubb, FWIW.   

Archived