Week 9 GDT: Rams (8-0) vs. Saints (6-1)

Canadian Saint

I have held off with the statement until now, but the Saints are for real!

Up until now, I haven't been a huge believer in the teams that we have beaten, but beating this Rams game in the fashion we did, outstanding! Sure, the refs blew that challenge earlier in the game, or at least that's the way it looked from where I could see, but other than that, this was a hard-fought game by both sides, and the Saints won!

3 minutes ago, Mid Iowa said:

I have held off with the statement until now, but the Saints are for real!

Up until now, I haven't been a huge believer in the teams that we have beaten, but beating this Rams game in the fashion we did, outstanding! Sure, the refs blew that challenge earlier in the game, or at least that's the way it looked from where I could see, but other than that, this was a hard-fought game by both sides, and the Saints won!

Not so sure they blew the call. It looks like his ankle and lower shin hit with the coresponding spot. Which is down, right?

The good:

- The offense....holy moly. I believer in the past 4 games (Rams, Vikings, Ravens and Redskins), we've fairly easily rolled through 4 top 10 D's. Brees, Kamara and Thomas are near unstoppable.

- This O-line kept Brees upright and fairly clean all night. Easily among the best we've had in NOLA for a looong time.

- Run D: Best in the NFL., held the best runner in the NFL to under 100 yards. It's legit.

- Ben Watson: What a beast. At his age, contributing to all phases of the game. Love him.

- Anzalone: He's had a tough start of the season, playing timid. But as the season has continued, he has really come into his own. Today he was dropping into coverage and attacking holes really well. He's really coming into his own. Could be huge down the stretch for us.

The bad:

- DA: I hate to moan about the man in a win, but his play calling is driving me nuts. The deep zone prevent calls totally suck. Very rarely do they work until the opposition is in our half but en route give them large yards. Bend but doesn't break D doesn't inspire too much confidence in the playoffs.

- Dropped INT: In the past 3 games, I've got 5 INTs we've dropped with balls in our DBs hands. Today was Apple's turn. These are killer in the playoffs, hopefully we hold on to them as the season goes by.

I will say, and I've been hesitant to brag about us after our three 7-9 years, but this offense is unstoppable.  Maybe it's just a bad year for all defenses, But this is the best looking offense we've had in a long time.

And old man Brees has a 0.4% interception rate this year.  Almost unbelievable.  

I keep thinking the clock is gonna strike midnight on us at some point.

My power went out in the 2nd quarter. I just got it back on. I'm disappointed to have missed most of this game (and the Joe Horn celebration by Mike Thomas) but at least I saw a little bit of it. I'll go watch the highlights and be glad we won. :)

1 hour ago, .Buzz said:

Grew up a Saints fan. Loved the Joe Horn and Deuce McAllister days. Definitely brought back some memories when I saw that.

Why'd you switch if I may ask?

It definitely brought back some memories for me too, loved it. Love everything about Mike. 

1 hour ago, SWATcha said:

Not so sure they blew the call. It looks like his ankle and lower shin hit with the coresponding spot. Which is down, right?

I appreciate that. I'm simply stating that from my view, it looked like he was over by at least ½ yard. Trust me though, I'm cool with the way they called it.

2 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

Geez, what a game!  If the Vikings get that far, I'm sure not looking forward to playing the Saints in your house in the playoffs.

I still think your coach is a schmuck, but that was a great win for the Saints!  Major kudos to you guys.

The Vikings aren't making it to New Orleans this season.

Congrats on the win. Im from Louisiana and aside from being a Rams fan, Im happy that Louisiana had something to cheer for after LSU got embarrassed AGAIN by Bama on national tv. I cant even imagine how today wouldve been had both LSU and the Saints lost on big stage at home back to back days. But enough about LSU because that makes me mad to think LSU defense actually held up but the offense couldnt come through again. Its not Burrows fault. Its the oline and the scheme on offense. Cant beat Bama like that. 

Anyways, the Rams/Saints game was awesome. Im proud of my Rams team because they were down 21pts in an hostile environment with their best offensive player in Gurley doing little and they stormed back to tie the ball game. Thats impressive. That showed me how far Goff has come. The last time he played in the Superdome, he was fine in the 1st half but IMPLODED in the 2nd half. I felt like Goff was fine in the 1st half but EXPLODED in the 2nd half this time. The Saints just made more plays than the Rams. The Rams didnt get that 1st down on that fake FG that was HUGE. I believe it was a 1st down and had the refs made the right call the Rams wouldve scored to make it 21-14. Also Zeurlein missing that FG because that was another empty trip. Cant have empty trips like that. I said before this game that it was going to be a stalemate and the only difference was the Rams special teams. Well the Rams special teams failed on the fake FG and missed a FG. But it was a great game. Congrats to the Saints in a game that they needed badly because now the Saints are heavily in the 1 seed conversation. The schedule is still more favorable for the Rams because if it comes down to Weeks 16-17, the Saints have the Steelers and Panthers at home. The Rams have to go to the Cards and have the Niners at home. I still love the Rams chances but now the race for the 1 seed just got alot more interesting. Hopefully we meet again in the playoffs no matter where. Im confident in the Rams coming back to the Superdome and winning and I know Saints fans are confident going to LA and winning. Should be interesting. 

11 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

The schedule is still more favorable for the Rams because if it comes down to Weeks 16-17, the Saints have the Steelers and Panthers at home. 

WAY more favorable schedule for the Rams. NFCW is a joke. Saints have one of the toughest schedules top to bottom, beginning to end. Still have Panthers x2, Falcons, Eagles, Steelers, Bengals, Cowboys, and the Bucs. None of those are give me games.

2 minutes ago, SWATcha said:

WAY more favorable schedule for the Rams. NFCW is a joke. Saints have one of the toughest schedules top to bottom, beginning to end. Still have Panthers x2, Falcons, Eagles, Steelers, Bengals, Cowboys, and the Bucs. None of those are give me games.

Yeah the Rams could wrap up the division next week against the Seahawks lol. Not to mention with the Saints they have 3 straight road games at Dallas, at Tampa Bay, and at Carolina. The Rams were able to go 3-0 in their 3 game road trip but before then the last team to do it was the 2014 Bengals. Its hard to win 3 straight road games. So yeah the Saints schedule is brutal. I said that from the beginning. Like whomever made the Saints schedule really screwed them from how it was constructed. 

20 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

Congrats on the win. Im from Louisiana and aside from being a Rams fan, Im happy that Louisiana had something to cheer for after LSU got embarrassed AGAIN by Bama on national tv. I cant even imagine how today wouldve been had both LSU and the Saints lost on big stage at home back to back days?

It sucks to see LSU lose like that again, but after the same result 7 times, and now 8, there's no reason to expect anything else.

2 minutes ago, NS922 said:

It sucks to see LSU lose like that again, but after the same result 7 times, and now 8, there's no reason to expect anything else.

I mean I didnt fully expect LSU to win. I thought they would have a shot in the 4th quarter with a chance. 29-0 was just crushing. Like it shouldve been 9-0 in the 1st half without White but bad playcalling hurt LSU and that made it 16-0. But none of that matters if you cant score period. Thats the worst part.

Archived