Patriot Linebackers

Hunter2_1

I think Hightower and McGinest were the two best players, in terms of combining physical talent and mental acuity.

Collins probably the best athlete by a distance, but simply either not inclined or not interested in playing smart. Just like Thomas.

Mayo was a good player, but a better leader. Just like Bruschi.

In terms of ranking them in impact and talent I'd probably go: Hightower, McGinest, Bruschi, Vrabel, Mayo, Thomas, Collins.

...and although he spent a lot of time at DE as well, I might slide Ninkovich onto that list, between Vrabel and Mayo.

I ranked Hightower so high on overall impact simply because the defense is noticeably worse without him, he is clearly the most talented player out there on D, or at least in the front 7, he is the defensive general and has been since Mayo left, and he makes HUGE plays in BIG moments. I don't think he will ever surpass Bruschi on pure fan favoritism, but he certainly has a shot at the most significant LB in the BB era.

4 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

I ranked Hightower so high on overall impact simply because the defense is noticeably worse without him, he is clearly the most talented player out there on D, or at least in the front 7, he is the defensive general and has been since Mayo left, and he makes HUGE plays in BIG moments. I don't think he will ever surpass Bruschi on pure fan favoritism, but he certainly has a shot at the most significant LB in the BB era.

The game in Denver in 2015 (not the playoffs) showed Hightower's worth. He went down injured before half time, and in the second half, Denver's run game put up over 100 yards on us when it couldn't really get going in the first half. He was seemingly keeping the run defence together on his own. 

Archived