Is the defense for real?

TheGreeK1973

We don't have a thread on the real stars to this 5-2 start.  IMO yes they are for real because the have the best 3 down Dlinemen in the NFL as a group.  And if you think I am delusional here is an article on one on of them, THE GREEK mountain which will impress you I think

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/impressed-matt-ioannidis-these-three-numbers-will-make-you-even-more-impressed

With HaHa and DJ now I think we can safely say we have perhaps the best safety pair in the league which obviously will get better and better.  If we are lucky enough to remain relatively healthy I honestly think this D will get as real close to taking the division and then in the playoffs who the heck knows.  I mean who the heck knew last year the Eagles will be SB champions without their boy wonder at QB.

I buy that they're real, because of the talent on that side of the ball. This isn't a fluke, this is a concerted effort to sure up the trenches that is paying dividends.

I do not believe in today's NFL defense alone wins championships, or we'd be celebrating the Jacksonville Jaguars right now.

11 minutes ago, Jeezy Fanatic said:

I buy that they're real, because of the talent on that side of the ball. This isn't a fluke, this is a concerted effort to sure up the trenches that is paying dividends.

I do not believe in today's NFL defense alone wins championships, or we'd be celebrating the Jacksonville Jaguars right now.

Exactly. Hasn't happened since... Bucs in 03? the Ravens of 01?

Redskins defensive team stats:

Yards per Game (332.4) - 4th in NFL

Yards per Play Allowed (5.3) - 6th in NFL

3rd down conversion allowed (37%) - 9th in NFL

Interceptions (6) - Tied 16th in NFL

Forced Fumbles (10) - Tied 4th in NFL

Sacks (21) - Tied 11th in NFL

Misc Stats:

Time of Possession, Offense (32:28) - 3rd in NFL

Penalty yards (475) - 24th in NFL

Stats don't lie, I'd say the Redskins defense has been really good so far.  Some thoughts:

- I'd like to see more interceptions and sacks, but we're still in the top half of the league in them and those are gross stats, which means some teams that haven't had a Bye yet could be ahead of us there.  Our Forced Fumbles look great.  

- Penalties are a concern, but playing aggressive might have inflated these some.  Still if you look at the teams closest to us in Penalties (49ers, Lions, Raiders, Eagles) that's not a group I really want to be in.  We need to cut down on penalties.  

- Our offensive dominating the time of possession is having a very positive impact on the defense because simply the defense isn't on the field as long as other teams.  

8 hours ago, Jeezy Fanatic said:

Jags were one drive away from making it to the SB, going up against the GOAT.  It's definitely possible if we get hot at the right time.

9 hours ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

Jags were one drive away from making it to the SB, going up against the GOAT.  It's definitely possible if we get hot at the right time.

Not only that but they basically got whored on a terrible call that would've effectively ended the game.

On 11/2/2018 at 2:27 PM, MikeT14 said:

Exactly. Hasn't happened since... Bucs in 03? the Ravens of 01?

Steelers 05 weren’t an explosive offense. They rode “the Bus” & the #1 defense to the Super Bowl. Big Ben was pretty much a game manager in 05 - his second season - just like Brady was early in his career when the Patriots won their three Super Bowls in 2000, 2003 & 2004, pre Randy Moss. Those Patriots passing offenses early last decade weren’t as explosive as they’ve become the last decade with the additions of playmakers for Brady like Moss, Gronk, Eddlemen, Amendola and now Gordon. Back then, they were a ball control offense that threw the ball safely so to not make mistakes, they didn’t take many chances and didn’t take turn the ball over much.their running game was great and they  were always one of the top defenses in the NFL.

On 11/2/2018 at 11:06 PM, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

The Redskins defense is nowhere near as good as the Jaguars' defense last season

On 11/3/2018 at 6:14 AM, TheGreeK1973 said:

Jaguars this year have been good on D but not great.  obviously having Bortles as their QB puts them in a bad position at least a few times each game but still.  They don't dominate offenses like they did last year.

The perfect example is last years eagles. No one except Phila homes thought tgeyd win the super Bowl. They especially thought the Eagles didn’t have a chance to win it all when Wentz tore his ACL. A team with a good to great D and a good running game with a balanced offense can certainly win any team the Super Bowl.

They are a decent defense. The classic bend but don't break defense. I just have a hard time trusting or believing in this defense when they just give chunk yardage after chunk yardage. Hard to have faith in DBs who give the WRs a 12 yard cushion and still give up plays down the field.

Archived