Relationship Advice Thread

scar988

Well this turned into quite the conversation.

Her and I are both young, still in school and while getting married is definitely on our radar, its going to be a while.

The promise ring promises that once we get settled in a bit then we'll move onto an engagement/marriage. It holds specific meaning to specific people. That's pretty much it. She likes the idea a lot, and I understand that.

• Like 1

On 2/14/2018 at 12:10 PM, iPwn said:

So to move outside of this discussion of abstract and into something more substantial, I wanted to bring this up. Don’t worry, I will be back on that, but I need to get back to work for a 

I’m pretty sure my girlfriend is *the one*. Aside from all the steeeotypical tropes that come along with that phrase, this feels different.

However, one problem. She’s in grad school right now, and she finishes in May. In June, she’s taking a year long externship (don’t ask me, that’s the word they use in her program) in Texas to finish out and get her degree.

I’m in a great spot in my career and an upheaval would be largely detrimental to where I am right now. So we’re going to be in a LDR for a year.

We’ve decided that every 4 weeks, I’ll be going down to visit for the weekend and every 4 weeks, she’ll be coming up, so we’ll be seeing each other every other weekend.

We’ll be scheduling time to talk on the phone, FaceTime and stuff regularly. “Movie nights” via Netflix will be a thing too. She also plans on getting a PS4 so we can game online together, taking the pressure off of always needing something to talk about. We have also talked about making sure that while we do make time for one another, we also make sure we have significant alone and “me” time so neither of us feels like the relationship is smothering our ability to live outside of it.

We’ve discussed this pretty thoroughly, but I wanted to see if anyone else had some ideas for keeping things running as smoothly as possible.

Not going to sugarcoat it, it's really tough.  My girlfriend and I did it for two years and it definitely starts to wear on you.  We pretty much did the same exact thing, we saw each other every other weekend for the most part for the two years.  Luckily for me, we were just a 2.5 hour drive (or 5 when she was home from school) apart, but the Sundays are just brutal when you leave.  That Texas-Chicago flight is going to really test your commitment at some point.

However, if you really think she's the one, it's completely and 100% worth it.  You miss each other so much that it really makes you value the time you get to talk (phone, FaceTIme, PS4, etc.).  Every visit is super meaningful and you make an effort to do as much as you possibly can in those ~48 hours (although I won't lie there were times we watched SVU re-runs in bed for most of it).  Since she's in school and you work (we were in the same situation) you obviously know she'll sometimes need her time to buckle up and do work at night/weekends when you just want to relax, so you'll have to give her that time.  

Oh, and also get used to using all of your PTO to take make those visits a three day weekend.  Once you have the first one you won't be able to go back to just a Saturday and Sunday.  :D

1 minute ago, flyers0909 said:

Oh, and also get used to using all of your PTO to take make those visits a three day weekend.  Once you have the first one you won't be able to go back to just a Saturday and Sunday.  :D

Already have something worked out with work where this *should* be the norm even without PTO. 

• Like 1

So this girl at work started messaging me. Weve hung out a few times and she had a crush on me. Ive liked her for a while too, shes cute and we had a good back and forth going.

Thing is I'm 7 years older than her. So ive been letting her make all the "first" moves lol. Dont wanna be a weirdo older guy creepin..

5 hours ago, Chiefer said:

So this girl at work started messaging me. Weve hung out a few times and she had a crush on me. Ive liked her for a while too, shes cute and we had a good back and forth going.

Thing is I'm 7 years older than her. So ive been letting her make all the "first" moves lol. Dont wanna be a weirdo older guy creepin..

How old are you?

I mean, 25 hitting on an 18 year old? Creepy. 38 hitting on a 31 year old. Not creepy.

• Like 1

On 2/19/2018 at 6:43 PM, SteelKing728 said:

Well this turned into quite the conversation.

Her and I are both young, still in school and while getting married is definitely on our radar, its going to be a while.

The promise ring promises that once we get settled in a bit then we'll move onto an engagement/marriage. It holds specific meaning to specific people. That's pretty much it. She likes the idea a lot, and I understand that.

How old r u?

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

How old are you?

I mean, 25 hitting on an 18 year old? Creepy. 38 hitting on a 31 year old. Not creepy.

I don't think 25 hitting on a 18 year old is awful on a one night stand . If it's a one night stand it doesn't matter . A relationship I wouldn't recommend. Only reason I'd say 18 and 25 can't work is because of the huge maturity gap.

Edited by Dashing202

On 2/19/2018 at 6:46 PM, gopherwrestler said:

Tbh, I always viewed the promise ring as a thing like “please don’t cheat on me while you go to college” type thing. 

Obviously people view it differently.

It's the dumbest ring I've ever herd of . Still remember when my friend Antonio took his promise ring back lol he didn't care . His girlfriend did tho and she tried everything to get him jealous lol it didn't work . Instead he went ahead and dated someone else within 2 weeks .

Edited by Dashing202

Just now, Dashing202 said:

I don't think 25 hitting on a 18 year old is awful . If at a one night thing whatever but a relationship type of a bit no imo.

Idk man...

wtf does a 25 year old do with an 18 year old?  “Hey girl, this Saturday what say you and I go out and smoke some cigs and drive go carts?  Maybe go to Homecoming or a high school football game?  Catch a rated R movie?”

The life experiences of a 25 year old differ greatly from that of an 18 year old. The older you get the less they differ.

• Like 1

On 2/16/2018 at 11:22 AM, CWood21 said:

I mean, I've never been big on flowers or cards but if my SO cares about them then I'll do them.  I mean, I've told my parents that I don't want any cards or anything like that on my birthday.  I guess I've always felt that promise rings tend to get lost after you move onto engagement rings.

I've always been a alpha male . Not abusive or bossy but most of the women I liked just did to many uncommon sense actions .

Like for example  this girl said she likes me but is still married. It getting divorced ?. I'm like why in the world would you start dating while your divorced with your husband still living with you ?.

like stuff like that makes no sense z

16 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Idk man...

wtf does a 25 year old do with an 18 year old?  “Hey girl, this Saturday what say you and I go out and smoke some cigs and drive go carts?  Maybe go to Homecoming or a high school football game?  Catch a rated R movie?”

The life experiences of a 25 year old differ greatly from that of an 18 year old. The older you get the less they differ.

I agree with you but I'm 26 and last year I met three girls that where 18-19. All three liked me alot and we where attracted . All I viewed was just for sex and nothing else . I had fun but it was a clear immaturity difference . 

I'm not the type to push people back after sex tho. I keep it as mutual friends and text sometimes and talk about random stuff . But most of them caught feelings and got bitter feeling I only wanted sex.  My mentality is we live life once and I don't view it any other way . 

Long story short to me it's okay if it's sex because well sex is sex. But if I'm 35 there's no way I'm doing a 18-19 year old again. I'd barley even consider 21.

Edited by Dashing202