Relationship Advice Thread

scar988

25 minutes ago, Jetfan66 said:

Rough day for me. For some reason, been thinking about the ex a ton today. Need to shake these thoughts quick and not let it ruin my weekend.

Think we talked about this on the old forum, right?

You'll have good days, you'll have not good days. Find distractions. Go out tonight with some friends, maybe find something fun to do - or go work out, lift some weights or do some cardio.

Keep your mind and/or body busy elsewhere, helps a lot. 

5 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Think we talked about this on the old forum, right?

You'll have good days, you'll have not good days. Find distractions. Go out tonight with some friends, maybe find something fun to do - or go work out, lift some weights or do some cardio.

Keep your mind and/or body busy elsewhere, helps a lot. 

Yeah we did. Been doing good, haven't spoken to her in over 2 months and felt really good about myself. Just a bad day, I know I'll have them.

Gonna hit the gym now. Going out to a friends summer house in a few hours so definitely have things to occupy myself with. I really just needed to say it aloud.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Jetfan66 said:

Yeah we did. Been doing good, haven't spoken to her in over 2 months and felt really good about myself. Just a bad day, I know I'll have them.

Gonna hit the gym now. Going out to a friends summer house in a few hours so definitely have things to occupy myself with. I really just needed to say it aloud.

That help too, sir. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Kind of a touchy subject, so hopefully we can keep this with forum rules.

I was talking with a co-worker today.  Long story short, he's got a kid with a girl who is in the process of getting divorced.  Well the divorce just finalized, and he made a comment to me about officially having a girlfriend.  And that got me to thinking, when do you think it's acceptable to talk/date someone whose separated or in the process of getting a divorce?

6 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I was talking with a co-worker today.  Long story short, he's got a kid with a girl who is in the process of getting divorced.  Well the divorce just finalized, and he made a comment to me about officially having a girlfriend.  And that got me to thinking, when do you think it's acceptable to talk/date someone whose separated or in the process of getting a divorce?

If they are getting a divorce and have stopped living together, I don't see the problem. As long as the relationship is dead and has been dead, I don't see the issue. Like Christina El Moussa is dating despite her divorce not being finalized yet, but she's been officially separated from her husband Tarek since last March. Why should she be stuck as if she's still married?

47 minutes ago, scar988 said:

If they are getting a divorce and have stopped living together, I don't see the problem. As long as the relationship is dead and has been dead, I don't see the issue. Like Christina El Moussa is dating despite her divorce not being finalized yet, but she's been officially separated from her husband Tarek since last March. Why should she be stuck as if she's still married?

Agreed.  So long as the relationship is over in both parties' minds, then it's perfectly ok IMO.  Why should they have to wait for the legal side to finish in order to enter a new relationship?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CWood21 said:

For me if I was single? Whenever they felt it was appropriate.

Not to sound like a jerk, but if I'm single it's not my job to worry about their previous relationship.

Bottom line is life's too short. If you found someone you care about and that makes you happy, the hell with the details.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

For me if I was single? Whenever they felt it was appropriate.

Not to sound like a jerk, but if I'm single it's not my job to worry about their previous relationship.

Bottom line is life's too short. If you found someone you care about and that makes you happy, the hell with the details.

Co-sign. If I am single and they are single, then there should be no restrictions. If said person wants to jump into the deep end, have at it. If you're bringing your baggage along for a ride and comparing me to your ex and stuff, believe me that I'm OK to walk without a second glance. 

That goes both ways, too - if single me clicks with someone and they go into the "I just got out of something serious," I wish em well and tell em to keep in touch. I'm not expecting anything, and I'm not going to throw myself I'm front of them - they'll heal on their own (or not) and make an informed decision about me.

Ironically, this got me thinking and jogged a memory in my head - my wife was two weeks removed from a "serious relationship" which was about six months long when she and I went on our first date. She initially thought of it as a free dinner from that Carlton lookalike wearing too much Cool Water and Affliction.

Six years and two kids later...well, yeah.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Back in the day there was no such thing as "too much Cool Water" ET.

Oh, I knew that. She had different plans. 

I was her graduate project. Many an Affliction shirts were lost in the following months. Slowly swapped out for Van Heusen and Kenneth Cole dress shirts. Probably for the best, but the transition wasn't subtle.

She didn't get the camo cargo shorts, however. I'll take those comfy, tactical and practical shorts to my grave.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Oh, I knew that. She had different plans. 

I was her graduate project. Many an Affliction shirts were lost in the following months. Slowly swapped out for Van Heusen and Kenneth Cole dress shirts. Probably for the best, but the transition wasn't subtle.

She didn't get the camo cargo shorts, however. I'll take those comfy, tactical and practical shorts to my grave.

My fiancé actually just bought me more polos. Which were what my style was anyway. So I have like twice as many polos as I did before and nicer jeans than what I did. But other than that, it's all the same style.

my wife has slowly replaced my wardrobe but since I work at home, all I basically wear is gym shorts and tshirts anyway.  Though, before our honeymoon, she forced me to go shopping and buy all new clothes because in her words "you dress like you could coach a little league soccer team at the drop of a hat".