Relationship Advice Thread

scar988

On 8/20/2017 at 2:40 PM, Nex_Gen said:

Simple question (not really): If your ex is still angry/mad at you, is it because they are not over you?

Note: The breakup wasn't over anything catastrophic....

Honestly, as tough as it is, you are better off not wasting the time debating that. From my personal experiences, it will only make everything tougher on you.

20 hours ago, Jetfan66 said:

Honestly, as tough as it is, you are better off not wasting the time debating that. From my personal experiences, it will only make everything tougher on you.

This. It may mean that. It may not mean that. The important part is that it doesn't, and shouldn't matter to you. Easier said than done, but still.

So I've gone on a couple dates with a girl and we've been texting back and forth a lot. She wants to take it slow though and now she's going to school a couple hours away. Any advice on whether I should invite her to my cousins wedding in a couple weeks. A bunch of my family and relatives will be there which makes me think it might be to soon.

1 hour ago, vikesfan89 said:

So I've gone on a couple dates with a girl and we've been texting back and forth a lot. She wants to take it slow though and now she's going to school a couple hours away. Any advice on whether I should invite her to my cousins wedding in a couple weeks. A bunch of my family and relatives will be there which makes me think it might be to soon.

Yes much definitely soon and if you have not introduced her to your parents then maybe that's your indication that weddings are usually meant for bringing the significant other. Meaning that you're in an exclusive committed relationship and not only dating. Furthermore there might be reluctance by your cousin or even more his wife to include a person who isn't your significant other to appear in photos or the similar.

Edited by PurpleLion

On 8/20/2017 at 2:40 PM, Nex_Gen said:

Simple question (not really): If your ex is still angry/mad at you, is it because they are not over you?

What you do have to decide is whether or not you still have any positive romantic emotions toward her at all. Say the answer's yes then it's worth spending your time and the possible stress deciding whether you will approach getting back together again. The answer no and it really does not matter what she thinks about you.

27 minutes ago, PurpleLion said:

Yes much definitely soon and if you have not introduced her to your parents then maybe that's your indication and weddings are usually meant for bringing the significant other. Meaning that you're in an exclusive committed relationship and not only dating. Furthermore there might be reluctance by your cousin or even more his wife to include a person who isn't your significant other to appear in photos or the similar.

Interesting perspective. I didn't think of it from their side, but the invitation did say and guest so I don't think that would be too much of an issue. 

On 8/20/2017 at 1:40 PM, Nex_Gen said:

It's not really that cut and dry.  More details are probably behind that.

20 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

Interesting perspective. I didn't think of it from their side, but the invitation did say and guest so I don't think that would be too much of an issue. 

Honestly, it depends on your level of comfort.  I've brought people who I had no intention of ever dating, and viewed them as nothing more than a good friend.

Some other thoughts are there might be some single women at the wedding and that's pretty great if you are still only at the dating stage with that one woman. Bringing a woman you have dated a bunch of times before might possibly up the speed of the existing relationship between each other. She might think how it's priveleged that you brought her to a very exclusive personal event and maybe decide if that's a territory you want to enter.

Edited by PurpleLion

8 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Honestly, it depends on your level of comfort.  I've brought people who I had no intention of ever dating, and viewed them as nothing more than a good friend.

That's very different and there are no implications for pondering. You are friends and will stay friends unless the friend had thought a wedding makes for a really great first date. Dating a woman means that you are existing at the middle stage. She's a potential girlfriend and everything that you do involving her will either push your involvement with her into being a girlfriend or you becoming only friends. Guaranteed that bringing your girlfriend to a wedding of which you have been invited means that it's mandatory and that's if you want her to still be your girlfriend.

Edited by PurpleLion

On August 26, 2017 at 11:43 PM, vikesfan89 said:

Do you want her there with you? If so, nut up and ask her.

It's not much more complicated than that IMO.

• Like 1