Relationship Advice Thread

scar988

1 hour ago, Daniel said:
5 hours ago, N4L said:

That's horrible advice. 

I mean, it’s pretty good life advice.

Still pretty horrible relationship advice. I mean, if you have NOTHING else to offer, maybe. But an easier option is to have something else to bring to the table. 

7 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Still pretty horrible relationship advice. I mean, if you have NOTHING else to offer, maybe. But an easier option is to have something else to bring to the table. 

100%

It also ignores the fact that your significant other can still be the bread winner if you are a guy.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I was giving him the benefit of the doubt and assuming he meant for that to be a problem for a relationship once you’re in it, not as a way to obtain a relationship.

I know I would’ve fought a lot less with my wife during the wedding planning and home buying phase if money wasn’t so tight at the time.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I was giving him the benefit of the doubt and assuming he meant for that to be a problem for a relationship once you’re in it, not as a way to obtain a relationship.

I know I would’ve fought a lot less with my wife during the wedding planning and home buying phase if money wasn’t so tight at the time.

I can agree on this for the most part - but even in tight times, a quality relationship is built on something more than money.

I got laid off from my job about three years ago, when my wife was still in college and a toddler daughter to go along with our autistic son who was just starting therapy. Money was beyond tight in that timeframe, but we rallied around one another. Sure, we fought - that's to be expected, fighting is not some sign of a weak relationship, quite the opposite actually - but we circled the wagons, made some sacrifices, and made it through. 

If it was "just" money, we would have divorced right on the spot. But, it wasn't just money with us.

• Like 4

On 26/01/2020 at 7:55 PM, 49ersfan said:

One of my local museums throws events every now and then, like kind of a nightclub atmosphere but with art. I'm going to go to one of these and see what happens. 

This sounds pretty ideal tbh.  I wish my local museum wasn't just like, a few old buildings, some farm equipment from the 1950s and an old man "curator" who probably kinda hates me.

But even if it wasn't that shoddy...i can't imagine anybody would ever really go to singles night there anyway.  Plus, if it were a real museum with real exhibits, i'm sure i'd drive everyone away with uncontrollable bouts of history nerd anyway.

4 minutes ago, Tyty said:

Let’s see. Gets there/their/they’re and than/then wrong every single time and said boulder dash yesterday instead of balderdash. 

I'm into Latina women, so this is expected (if you were to believe Modern Family).

Realistically - I didn't care back then, would not put too much into it now.