BDL Proposal & Feedback

ny92mike

I'd like to submit a proposal for a new design to the BDL Roster Workbook for next year.  Not that the current version is bad, I just feel it could be more functional as well as eye appealing.

If we're willing to use two workbooks, one being what I call the master and the other an individually private owned workbook, that only the owner has access to.  

The master workbook is a viewable workbook, designed to make things slightly easier to update than the current version.  Mainly, it's the look of this version that sets it apart, but there are some additional features like the League Trade Block that make it cool.  We can also include additional sheets or workbooks to include an automated waiver claim and a draft board that makes tracking trades, picks and drafted players easier on everyone. 

BDL MASTER WORKBOOK

·         In this sample workbook, I’m using hyperlinks attached to the player names, to make finding their stats quick and easy.

·         Provide a listing of the following years free agents. 

·         Team Roster sheets contain additional information; 

o   Salary by Position chart 

o   Hyperlink to message team owner 

o   Schedule and Results 

o   Current and following year’s available draft picks. 

·         Team by Team Trade Block 

o   The information within your private team workbook is linked to this sheet, so when you update your team’s trade block, it is automatically updated in the master. 

·         Future Draft Picks are easier to track. 

As mentioned, we can include as much or as little information as we prefer.  The main concept is this provides imho a cleaner look and a design that makes it easier to update.  The biggest change is providing you all with a structured personal workbook. 

BDL TEAM WORKBOOK 

Note:  Certain cells can be edited, so that you can use the drop down list within to get an idea of how this works.  I’ve placed arrows pointed to the cells you can edit. 

·         Several sheets from the master workbook are linked to each team workbook, so when updates are done in the master, they will update in the team workbooks. 

·         Creating a trade block 

o   Select the players or picks you want as well as include the compensation you seek.   

o   Not yet set up, but there will be a place to include your team’s needs. 

o   You’ll be able to view every member’s trade block within this workbook, either by team or position or both. 

·         Get assistance in creating your weekly lineup; however I’m not a fan of the current layout within this sheet. 

·         There are several additional sheets pertaining to the team roster, which I plan to do more to help aid in calculating future planning.  For now, it is just listing the following years free agents and the next two seasons of rosters. 

·         Free Agency listing that allows you to sort by position or view them all.  Plan to include another sort by NFL Team. 

Anyway, that’s where I’m at with this project.   

Look forward to hearing what you guys think of this proposal. 

I know that some have voiced concerns about the complexity of it, but I assure you with just a few minutes of me showing you the ins and outs of how it works from a user side, I think you’ll find it works better than the current way of using pivot tables and contains more information. 

Again, please let me know what you think as I have spent some time working on this and plan to put many more hours into it.   

If you’ve got ideas for additional content or a different look please let me know, or if you completely hate it, I want to hear that too, so that I can mark you off my Christmas card mailing list…haha. 

Thanks for reading 

@Jlash @PR @Counselor @MD4L @bcb1213 @Hockey5djh @SirA1 @WFLukic @pheltzbahr @DingoLadd @Ragnarok @RuskieTitan @TedLavie @SwoleXmad @Whicker

@SirA1 I'm posting your reply as I believe it has some great feedback and some solid suggestions.

SirA1 said:

Some of this looks very good. I would suggest having a private work book for those with access to change the spreadsheet to update the master.

I know some of the people who have been in this for years and they will not update a workbook regularly as they don't even update depth charts.

Currently the way these two workbooks are linked, is that when the master workbook (wb) is updated manually by someone w/ editing rights, all of the Owner/Team workbooks are immediately updated automatically to match the changes done to the master.  There is one exception to that rule, which is the team wb trade block is linked back to the master, where it collects all the trade block data from the team wb's.  This information is then double backed to the team roster, so that the team owners can use the sorting feature to find players or picks on the block privately.

We could actually create a depth chart to do the same.  I know in my years of mocking that I never was much of a fan for creating or updating depth charts in the forum because the rosters changed so much.  Creating the depth charts within the team wb's would make it easier to keep updated.  I'll create and add a sample of a depth chart in the team roster and link it back to a new workbook titled "BDL Depth Chart".   

Couple of things.

It may just be because I can only view but I love the newly added feature this year of the drop down menu of teams on the Player database. It makes transactions a breeze. I would like to keep that functionality.

Thanks, I've done this in the past with tcmd and yes having those data validation cells makes it extremely easier to change data.  You'll see this kind of stuff throughout the various sheets.

Since all of the Free Agents are listed on the player database I never understood the need for a seperate Free Agent tab. Is there a way to get rid of that without effecting the workbook too much?

Personally, I like having the fa listing separated as it just makes it easier to view the listing without having to sort through players that aren't FA's.

I like the Future Free Agency tab but we would need to find someway to adjust it for BDL RFA's as they are sometimes different than the NFL. I would probably move this tab to the end of the workbook as well near the Draft picks.

We can definitely make this work but I need to read up on RFA info and the differences between NFL and BDL.  How do you determine and separate this information currently?

League information is good.

NFL Team Database is something Mike Costello added this season. It's cute but again not really a necessary feature and something that could be moved to the end of the workbook.

We can do this or include it in the League information sheet below the other data.

Schedule and Standings is something that could likely be added to League Information so it's all in one tab.

We can move this anywhere we want as long as the column width doesn't effect the other information from another sheet.

I like the look of the team roster page.

Thanks, we can change it up to include different information or leave it as is.

The trade block is ok but again it's something people won't update IMO.

I had the same concerns when I used it in tcmd, but all the feedback I received from our members was positive, with only a minor change request that would remove already traded players from the listing.

For the Future Draft picks I'm not sure there is a need to have it in two formats. What we typically do is just update the page until about a month before our draft and then link the list to our Draft tab so it fills out the correct order. That thing gets update a lot.

The second format is for making the updating process easier, it uses the same drop down data validation that you mentioned before,  but to make it easier to view the second format is added.  Some of the sheets may seem redundant but they are really only there to make it easier for the person in charge of updating the information.

Team Workbooks

Team Roster is a nice cut down version from the master.

Note: That all of the information provided in the team workbooks is linked to the master, and that when the master is updated, the team workbooks are immediately updated automatically.

Trade Block stuff I am familiar with because of TCMD but again don't see this being used that much.

Not everyone will use this, but those that do imo will have better success trading.  I know in my mock I leaned on it heavy when searching for players, more so than looking for information of owners posting their blocks in the forum.

Weekly Lineup - Not sure what this will accomplish as the format it's in to copy paste needs some work.

Since I've been here, I've been using something similar to create my lineup, changing it a little each week in looking for ways to enhance it.  For me, it makes it easier to set the lineup, but I do agree that it could be better.  So, I'll continue to work on this layout.

2018 Free Agents = Shouldn't this be 2019? 

This will get changed to reflect the right years.

2019/2020 Roster info is nice.

Thanks, I'm still looking to add more to these sheets, to make planning the future of the team easier.  Perhaps including cells to add additional players that the math is done for you so you can prepare for upcoming free agencies, etc.

Duplicate information from the Master Workbook is helpful I guess but I would rather people go to the Master Workbook for that. That may just be me though.

The Team Workbooks should only ever have the ability to change things like the Trade Block. So other than that it's just a portal for people to see their roster in. Some people did ask for that though.

Agree, if you remember I'm the only one along with the commish that has the ability to change information.  I don't agree with owners having the ability to alter information because while some would do it right, there are some that either forget or fail to include a zero.  It's just easier for a few to do the updates rather than everyone having the extra duty of policing their opponents rosters and cap.

I have my own workbook that I've used for the last 7 years so I personally wouldn't get much use out of one. It's not as fancy of course but I like manually updating things like player stats every few weeks.

You should share it with me, perhaps we could include some of the information you use into this.  I'm always looking for things to add.  

On the whole though I think the Master Workbook would help a lot next year. Biggest requirement for me is when I change a player or add a player to that tab that it links back to all the team pages when I update it like it does now.

Right, I know you guys use pivot tables to display information onto other sheets like team pages, but the filter and unique formulas do exactly that with a much cleaner look.

Just now, Counselor said:

Mike is a legend 

Thanks man.

I like what you guys have got here and just looking to help out by using my excel knowledge.

This first sample is a little rough, but with feedback from you all, we can make it better.

In talking, depth charts is there a look you guys would prefer?

Here is an older version of the Carolina War Room/ Draft Board doc used in tcmd.  Not a huge fan of the layout, but you can edit and see how a potential depth chart could be designed for this, using the drop down data validation cells to fill out your depth chart, saving you time from having to type out names and other information.

This also, has a draft board as well as columns to create a big board.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vWpFibP-unEBv898Jde8eW5kwmwKJWt4mkktwsMD01c/edit?usp=sharing

Again this is just a sample to check out, while I work on providing a depth chart more inline with BDL.  

On the team roster sheets, right now the additional information that I've got is the schedule and future draft pick listings as well as a salary by position chart.

I'm thinking about removing the schedule and providing a team needs section to be set up by the owner, that would link back to the league trade block, so owners that are looking for a team in need of a position that they might have can see which owners might be willing to trade.

Are there any other defensive schemes you'd like added for creating depth charts?  I've got the nickel for both 34/43 listed but not really even sure we need those.  

Thoughts?

43 Defense
425 Nickel
34 Defense
335 Nickel
46 Defense

If using the schemes listed above, are these position titles correct, or would you like to see them worded differently?

43 Defense 425 Nickel 34 Defense 335 Nickel 46 Defense
LDE LDE LOLB LDE LOLB
DT DT LDE NT LDE
UDT UDT NT RDE DT
RDE RDE RDE SLB DT
WLB WLB ROLB MLB RDE
MLB MLB MLB WLB ROLB
SLB CB WLB CB MLB
CB CB CB CB MLB
CB NCB CB NCB CB
FS FS FS FS CB
SS SS SS SS FS