BDL Proposal & Feedback

ny92mike

4 minutes ago, bcb1213 said:

I think simpler the better for depth chart 

Just leave 2 edge, 2 int, 3 lb 3 CB, etc 

Right, I just see everyone listing a more indepth chart in the forum.  I'm good with whatever you guys want to do.

Check out this workbook, I just added a depth chart.  It is set up so that you can edit it to see how it works but the skinny is you have a list of positions and players in the first two columns.  As you use the drop down data validation to fill in your depth chart, the player text turns red and is striked out, so that you know who you got left.

For defense select the defense using the drop down and then start filling out the defense.  This information will later get linked back to the master workbook, or a separate wb if needed so that it's easy to find everyone's depth chart.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1IGRF81jT8hx2OvroT8FQiQC_aaT8Em0dRmvxGIN4Zy8/edit?usp=sharing

1 minute ago, Jlash said:

This part is really cool.

Thanks man.

If you're like me, I hate having to go to the forum to fill out my depth chart.  This is much easier imo, since it's packaged with the player names and if you just start typing in the cell, the list of player names is filtered quickly so you don't even need to scroll through the entire list.

10 minutes ago, ny92mike said:
11 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

QlSTkOL.gif

come on man...it's beautiful....haha.

haha it's well done, just when i'm home on the weekend, seeing more spreadsheets, albeit well-done and for the benefit of the league, causes me to have that reaction basically. Love it but hate it lol.

9 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

haha it's well done, just when i'm home on the weekend, seeing more spreadsheets, albeit well-done and for the benefit of the league, causes me to have that reaction basically. Love it but hate it lol.

Understand that.  Right now, its just me shoving them in to get feedback, but once the final ones are out and hopefully in use, it won't be so cumbersome.

30 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

Thanks man.

If you're like me, I hate having to go to the forum to fill out my depth chart.  This is much easier imo, since it's packaged with the player names and if you just start typing in the cell, the list of player names is filtered quickly so you don't even need to scroll through the entire list.

I keep my write up in a Google doc.  That way the next week most of my lineup is already done. 

Mike, first of all thanks for the effort. Much appreciated.

Here's my feedback:

Master workbook

Players database - not much change here. One small detail, I'd the searchv formula to link value and position. Reason is, once you add a draft class into the players database, it's much easier that way instead of adding individually the value for each player.

Free agency and team roster - what I'm really looking out here, how do we update it? Because, up until 2 years ago, when I implemented the pivot tables in the spreadsheet, everything was done manually. And it was a mess to update the FA list, the team rosters, the players database etc. I think the pivot tables is an easy way for everything to update automatically. In this version I don't see how it's done

New features - loves the future free agency feature, though the question of how it is updated stays the same. Love the addition of the schedule and draft picks of each team onto the team roster. Think it's super useful for gameplans and trades. Love the league trade block too. Its is uploaded from the team rosters? How?

Future draft picks look much better, but maybe we should link the tabs "Future draft picks by team" and "future draft picks" cause once again, for every trade we should update one tab and not two.

Team workbook

Love the depth chart tab.

Team roster tab - how is is uploaded from the master workbook? Cause I don't think any of us wants to or should manually update 16 team workbooks every week or everytime there's a roster movement

Weekly lineup - Don't understand this one. For me you don't necessarily want your opponent to know in advance your lineup. Because maybe this week you'll feature a particular player for a special wrinkle of your gameplan. So I don't see the added value of this one.

Trade block - I guess this where you add and update your trade block

League trade block - Same questions than the team roster tab. I see in the formula a link to "Imported Trade block". What is it? I don't think we should get any protected or secret tabs. Because if the owner of the tab or the person who has the knowledge of how the whole tab works ends up leaving BDL, then we're kinda screwed.

Overall

Hyperlinks to the NFL.com profile of each player seems a bit too much imho. I think it takes more time adding it, especially once every draft class kicks in, than it is used.

I understand the goal of having two workbooks, but you have to create a link between the master and the team workbooks since I don't want to have to update 17 workbooks everytime FA/draft/waivers, and I'm sure the other roster guys feel the same way.

A couple of things we've been missing for years and where your skills could be super useful imho:

• Free agency. That's a big one. Free agency is always a mess to follow and update in the trade sheet. If you have ideas on how to automize things, I'd be super willing to help.
  • Draft & new season. I don't know if there's a good way to do it, but every year it's a mess to include all draft class and new players to the players databse. MCoster and SirA did it this year I think, SirA and I did it last year. Welcome your ideas here too.
  • Have a draft order linked to the pick list. Last year I create a draft order tab with formulas linking it to the draft picks owned tab. Unfortunately, we had too much bugs on it. I think it's a fairly easy feature and, with the new way you want to list draft picks, it might actually be easier.

1 hour ago, TedLavie said:

Thanks man, since you are one of the primary members that will be updating these workbooks, your opinion and feedback is important.

Here's my feedback:

Master workbook

Players database - not much change here. One small detail, I'd the searchv formula to link value and position. Reason is, once you add a draft class into the players database, it's much easier that way instead of adding individually the value for each player.

Right, with this being a sample the final version will have the formula included.

Free agency and team roster - what I'm really looking out here, how do we update it? Because, up until 2 years ago, when I implemented the pivot tables in the spreadsheet, everything was done manually. And it was a mess to update the FA list, the team rosters, the players database etc. I think the pivot tables is an easy way for everything to update automatically. In this version I don't see how it's done

The pivot tables work, but me personally, I’ve never been a fan of them when building these types of workbooks.  Rather than use the PT I use the filter formulas, they work very similar to pivot tables without all the mess that the tables present.  The formula still allows you to update the one sheet, while at the same time automatically updating all the other sheets in real time.

The Filter formula allows for a much cleaner look as well as provides a more interactive experience when using the drop down data validation cells. 

New features - loves the future free agency feature, though the question of how it is updated stays the same. Love the addition of the schedule and draft picks of each team onto the team roster. Think it's super useful for gameplans and trades. Love the league trade block too. Its is uploaded from the team rosters? How?

Using the Importrange formula, it creates a direct link to the master so that when the team roster is updated with a new player to the block, it is updated in the master every minute.  Would love to discuss more in a chat within the doc, and I can walk you through the entire process.

Future draft picks look much better, but maybe we should link the tabs "Future draft picks by team" and "future draft picks" cause once again, for every trade we should update one tab and not two.

They are linked, so when you update the future draft picks tab, it updates automatically the future draft picks by team sheet.  The reason for the two different versions is that the future draft pick one is easier to update, and the other one is easier to view.

Team workbook

Team roster tab - how is is uploaded from the master workbook? Cause I don't think any of us wants to or should manually update 16 team workbooks every week or everytime there's a roster movement

This is also done using the importrange formula.  It creates an exact copy of the player database into the team workbooks, and then I simply created a similar sheet to display team rosters, that I used in the master to display the team roster info.

Weekly lineup - Don't understand this one. For me you don't necessarily want your opponent to know in advance your lineup. Because maybe this week you'll feature a particular player for a special wrinkle of your gameplan. So I don't see the added value of this one.

Remember these team workbooks are private, so the only person to see this is the owner. 

League trade block - Same questions than the team roster tab. I see in the formula a link to "Imported Trade block". What is it? I don't think we should get any protected or secret tabs. Because if the owner of the tab or the person who has the knowledge of how the whole tab works ends up leaving BDL, then we're kinda screwed.

Not sure I follow what you mean.  Cells are protected so that the formulas that allow all this to work doesn’t mistakenly get deleted. 

Overall

Hyperlinks to the NFL.com profile of each player seems a bit too much imho. I think it takes more time adding it, especially once every draft class kicks in, than it is used.

I understand the goal of having two workbooks, but you have to create a link between the master and the team workbooks since I don't want to have to update 17 workbooks everytime FA/draft/waivers, and I'm sure the other roster guys feel the same way.

Not sure about you guys, but I use the player hyperlinks a lot when creating my game plan, the set up takes a little bit but I’ve got short cuts to speed up the process for collecting this information.

When I did this sample and the vast majority of my mock drafts, my goal is to make it easy for everyone, and because I’m the only one to update my mocks, I find the quickest and most effective way of updating things and with this sim I can make it really easy for the members updating and that includes things that help out the owners.

A couple of things we've been missing for years and where your skills could be super useful imho:

• Free agency. That's a big one. Free agency is always a mess to follow and update in the trade sheet. If you have ideas on how to automize things, I'd be super willing to help.
  • Draft & new season. I don't know if there's a good way to do it, but every year it's a mess to include all draft class and new players to the players databse. MCoster and SirA did it this year I think, SirA and I did it last year. Welcome your ideas here too.
  • Have a draft order linked to the pick list. Last year I create a draft order tab with formulas linking it to the draft picks owned tab. Unfortunately, we had too much bugs on it. I think it's a fairly easy feature and, with the new way you want to list draft picks, it might actually be easier.

Sure man, I’m always down to help out with this stuff.  I would like to get started on it right away though, because I do need to prep for my mock draft.

There are things I can do to help out with free agency, but I have looked at this in the past and this will be the biggest challenge.  If things were structured a little different it would be pretty simple but how the bidding is structured does make it a challenge.

The draft is pretty easy, as I’ve been doing this for years in my own mock draft and could provide something close to what I use.  That would be linked to the draft picks.

Here is a draft board I used last year, we can tailor it to suit our needs for BDL.

Thanks man, since you are one of the primary members that will be updating these workbooks, your opinion and feedback is important.

Here's my feedback:

Master workbook

Right, with this being a sample the final version will have the formula included.

The pivot tables work, but me personally, I’ve never been a fan of them when building these types of workbooks.  Rather than use the PT I use the filter formulas, they work very similar to pivot tables without all the mess that the tables present.  The formula still allows you to update the one sheet, while at the same time automatically updating all the other sheets in real time.

The Filter formula allows for a much cleaner look as well as provides a more interactive experience when using the drop down data validation cells. 

Using the Importrange formula, it creates a direct link to the master so that when the team roster is updated with a new player to the block, it is updated in the master every minute.  Would love to discuss more in a chat within the doc, and I can walk you through the entire process.

They are linked, so when you update the future draft picks tab, it updates automatically the future draft picks by team sheet.  The reason for the two different versions is that the future draft pick one is easier to update, and the other one is easier to view.

Team workbook

This is also done using the importrange formula.  It creates an exact copy of the player database into the team workbooks, and then I simply created a similar sheet to display team rosters, that I used in the master to display the team roster info.

Remember these team workbooks are private, so the only person to see this is the owner. 

Not sure I follow what you mean.  Cells are protected so that the formulas that allow all this to work doesn’t mistakenly get deleted. 

Overall

Not sure about you guys, but I use the player hyperlinks a lot when creating my game plan, the set up takes a little bit but I’ve got short cuts to speed up the process for collecting this information.

When I did this sample and the vast majority of my mock drafts, my goal is to make it easy for everyone, and because I’m the only one to update my mocks, I find the quickest and most effective way of updating things and with this sim I can make it really easy for the members updating and that includes things that help out the owners.

Sure man, I’m always down to help out with this stuff.  I would like to get started on it right away though, because I do need to prep for my mock draft.

There are things I can do to help out with free agency, but I have looked at this in the past and because of it's structure it'll prove to be a challenge.  If things were structured a little different, I think I could set you guys up with something that worked well, but how the bidding is structured it does make it a challenge.

The draft is pretty easy, as I’ve been doing this for years in my own mock draft and could provide something close to what I use.  That would be linked to the draft picks.

Here is a draft board I used last year in tcmd, we can tailor it to suit our needs for BDL.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/16L3i6pZJTcVPT0tdCi6f1uYrsh5ulZUlURTBNc5oI5Y/edit?usp=sharing

4 minutes ago, Hockey5djh said:

This is a lot to digest and for some reason they're taking forever to load on my work laptop. I'll try and give them a more thorough look and comment sometime tomorrow.

it might be because I'm working in them at the moment.

Archived