Our biggest need in 2019-Offensive Tackle

Doc Draper

You guys know that I’m not  where a lot of fans are on our tackles.  Trent Williams is an exceptional athlete, a very good  pass blocker, a middle of the road run blocker, expensive and injury prone. He’s a classic example of a high draft pick that gets continually over rated going to pro bowls when others are simply performing better. What’s  most concerning is his injury history. Earlier in his career he was never in top shape and routinely overweight perhaps from too many late night attacks of the munchies.  He’s over 30 and the last several seasons is missing more and more games about 5 a year including this most recent injury.

Moses has exceeded my expectations ( I thought he was at best a nfl reserve) watching him play at Virginia, but he’s not a traditional Right Tackle. Moses is an above average pass blocker and a below average run blocker who either lacks strength or commitment to get push in the rushing game. I want a right tackle who excels in run blocking- a road grader and is average to above average at pass blocking for a right handed quarterback. 

Moving forward ( next year) we need to seriously consider moving Moses to left tackle and Williams to left guard and draft a 1st round talent who gives us a right tackle we can use in a running oriented short passing attack. Teaming him with the Sheriff will be incredible. 

The kid from Louisville hasn’t impressed but he is young. He seemed under powered but he may be a reserve or develop to an adequate LT. he’s going to need more time and coaching 

what about Nseke? A few years ago I advocated for Nseke to be our starting right tackle and Williams to move to left guard. In desperation with lauvao I even suggested Nseke would be a huge improvement playing left guard. But those are missed opportunities as he’s getting really old now and not the answer for anything other than a reserve. 

So yes we need a WR, a TE, a LG, a QB and a pass rushing OLB, but with this team, the biggest need is a starting caliber tackle. 

Trent just tuned 30. Has 2 years left on contract. And hes no dummy. You go trying to move him, he should instantly start screaming "Trade Me!". As desperate as teams are for LTs, he could easily sign another contract for a couple/few years.

Sheriff would make a better tackle than any tackle coming out this year. 1 or 2 might come to the pros and be an Okay pass blocker. But theres nothing for us if wanting to improve the run game.

Were pretty much stuck in the position were at now for another year. Unless some FA comes in or trade happens.

I'm pretty high on Christian's ability to live up to his potential.  He was a 3rd round pick last year.  Let's give him time like we gave Moses before we panic and take a OT in the 1st.  I think our biggest needs are EDGE, OG, ILB, and CB.  Out of those, I think we only take EDGE or CB in the 1st next year.

22 minutes ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

I'm pretty high on Christian's ability to live up to his potential.  He was a 3rd round pick last year.  Let's give him time like we gave Moses before we panic and take a OT in the 1st.  I think our biggest needs are EDGE, OG, ILB, and CB.  Out of those, I think we only take EDGE or CB in the 1st next year.

Thank you. So much panicking going on in here. I'm not saying he's going to be the next great Redskins LT, but he has potential and everyone knew he was raw coming out of Louisville. There is a reason he was drafted with guys like Williams, Moses and Nsekhe already in place. Give him time to develop and then see what you have.

If there was a value talent who fell to us in one of the Redskins in one of their first four picks (1st, 2nd, two 3rds), I think it would be wise of them to make that move. However, I'm not sure I reach for a tackle in this draft (I would more reach for an inside linebacker or guard).

21 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

We just drafted a OT.

Drafting a second swing/backup/maybe-can-develop-into-a-starter tackle wouldn't be the worst idea since I think the Redskins will let Nsekhe walk.

No way we did draft an OT.  With Callahan on board he should develop rather nicely.  We are in desperate need for OG and ILB, in the first and heck in the second if we have a DLine fall to us because this is a very deep draft pull that trigger.  we also have been good finding nice prospects for CBs in the later rounds and we have 2 3s so we may get lucky there.  Strangely enough I think our front office and scouting department has gotten much better in the last few drafts so I have confidence we will pickup some gems.  

I see Norman gone next year, or he will need to restructure, I see HaHa being signed if he jells with DJ, and I wee Smith being gone so we may need EDGE also.  Ryan Anderson needs to show more this year.  Personally I love were we are right now, a great OG would go a long way IMO.

3 hours ago, Jeezy Fanatic said:

Edge rusher I would say, though if we draft late first and a quality LT slips, I'd be fine with that pick as well.

This. EDGE is by far the most important need in my opinion. Elite pass rushers can completely change a game and a defense with their ability. I've never been big on "shutdown" corners, especially with how the NFL is called in this day and age...shoot, our best corner is an undrafted WR-turned CB.

This team should focus on dominating the line of scrimmage and see how the cookie crumbles.

Archived