Our biggest need in 2019-Offensive Tackle

Doc Draper

On 11/5/2018 at 10:00 AM, RSkinGM said:

We need a coupla Game Changers like Julio Jones and Alvin Kamara . Take a Q B round 3 or later.

I definitely agree that we should take a 3rd round or later QB to develop behind Smith in this draft.

As for RB playmakers, we have two already. We have Derrius Guice and Chris Thompson, so we don’t need a RB playmaker. We just need Guice to get healthy and make a strong come back for next year.

We do need a WR playmaker, but we also have a dilemma at the positon and a lot invested in our top outside WRs. It’s going to be interesting to see what they do at WR.

Do they take another WR in round 1 or 2 to replace Crowder? Do they re-sign Crowder to be our slot WR and expect the WR we might draft to replace Doctson if he doesn’t step up the second half of this year and play a lot more consistent next year? 

Frankly, Crowder has had two disappointing years in a row after breaking out in 2017 when Garçon and Djax were getting all of the attention from opposing defenses. Ever since the defenses started focusing on Crowder  as our #1 WR option he’s disappointment because he’s not a #1.

Do they essentially give up on Doctson after this season?

He’s started to flash a little more the last few games. He could be poised to have a better second half of the season just like last year.

So, I think the WR positon and what we do is totally up in the air right now, especially with what we do with Crowder in March.

So far, he was having a disappointing season and that was before his injury.

Brothers- a tackle plays every offensive play. A WR gets what, 6 targets by old man smith? Build the line. Hold the line. Lauvao- he’s a bum. Moses exceeding all my expectations and is a C tackle. Trent is awesome as a pass blocker but old and can’t run block at tackle and needs to either be traded or moved to guard 

tackle- tackle- Tackle 

doc out 

This is a big NO for me. All of it, Sorry to be so blunt but it is what it is. TWill is still an elite tackle, and if anyone can’t see that they need to get their eye site checked and as big of a warrior - playing through injuries and playing well through injuries - as any player in team history!

The Redskins need to keep TWill at LT until he either retires or takes a noticeable drop off in play, like not a drop off from All-Pro to just top 10 in the league, but a drop from a pro bowl LT to a middle of the pack starting LT. Which, IMO may never happen for him, I think he’ll be our starting LT until the day he decides to hang up the cleats which will probably be 5, 6, or 7 years from now. If he is moved, I think it will be to RT, and not OG. I don’t see TWill ever being relegated to OG as a starter. He’s just too good of an OL to but him at a positon where you can get by with serviceable players most of the time. There’s also the fact that we aren’t going to want to pay two OGs top OL $. We are going to re-sign Scherff to a big contract - out of him, Crowder & PSmith, Scherff is the top priority. Yeah so moving TWill - our best OL to LG - that’s just not going to happen, ppl need to give up this dream. We AREN’T going to pay our starting guards $20 million plus a year, that’s a horrible allocation of our salary cap.

The clear play for our OL next year is to draft an OG that has the talent to start at LG next year, day one! Then, with our 3rd round comp pick or one of our picks from round 5-7 we need to take another interior OL do push Roullier and to be depth.

Also, hopefully we can keep Nsekhe next year again and he can compete to be our starting LG or once again be our swing tackle.

Our biggest need on the team is interior OL by far, just as it was this time last year. It’s quite mind boggling that the front office didn’t draft an interior OL like Mason Cole from Michigan instead of taking Christian, the developmental OT or that we didn’t sign another vet interior OL to compete with Lauvao and Roullier for their starting jobs instead of those jobs just being given to them.

We have a starting QB. I know some, - probably most in this forum - don’t like him, don’t believe in him and already want to dump him for a sexy 1st round draft pick aka that other girl at school who’s mysterious but it’s jut not going to happen this offseason IMO. Our QB may not be flashy or playing like a pro bowler currently but, he is a quality and proven starting QB in this league. We can certainly do better, but we can also do a hell of a lot worse than him!

4 hours ago, turtle28 said:

This is a big NO for me. All of it, Sorry to be so blunt but it is what it is. TWill is still an elite tackle, and if anyone can’t see that they need to get their eye site checked and as big of a warrior - playing through injuries and playing well through injuries - as any player in team history!

The Redskins need to keep TWill at LT until he either retires or takes a noticeable drop off in play, like not a drop off from All-Pro to just top 10 in the league, but a drop from a pro bowl LT to a middle of the pack starting LT. Which, IMO may never happen for him, I think he’ll be our starting LT until the day he decides to hang up the cleats which will probably be 5, 6, or 7 years from now. If he is moved, I think it will be to RT, and not OG. I don’t see TWill ever being relegated to OG as a starter. He’s just too good of an OL to but him at a positon where you can get by with serviceable players most of the time. There’s also the fact that we aren’t going to want to pay two OGs top OL $. We are going to re-sign Scherff to a big contract - out of him, Crowder & PSmith, Scherff is the top priority. Yeah so moving TWill - our best OL to LG - that’s just not going to happen, ppl need to give up this dream. We AREN’T going to pay our starting guards $20 million plus a year, that’s a horrible allocation of our salary cap.

The clear play for our OL next year is to draft an OG that has the talent to start at LG next year, day one! Then, with our 3rd round comp pick or one of our picks from round 5-7 we need to take another interior OL do push Roullier and to be depth.

Also, hopefully we can keep Nsekhe next year again and he can compete to be our starting LG or once again be our swing tackle.

Our biggest need on the team is interior OL by far, just as it was this time last year. It’s quite mind boggling that the front office didn’t draft an interior OL like Mason Cole from Michigan instead of taking Christian, the developmental OT or that we didn’t sign another vet interior OL to compete with Lauvao and Roullier for their starting jobs instead of those jobs just being given to them.

We have a starting QB. I know some, - probably most in this forum - don’t like him, don’t believe in him and already want to dump him for a sexy 1st round draft pick aka that other girl at school who’s mysterious but it’s jut not going to happen this offseason IMO. Our QB may not be flashy or playing like a pro bowler currently but, he is a quality and proven starting QB in this league. We can certainly do better, but we can also do a hell of a lot worse than him!

How can you argue we shouldn’t have taken Christian after seeing all the injuries we’re dealing with again at OT?  Christian May have to start against Tampa.  As for Nsekhe, he can’t seem to stay healthy, which is critical for a backup swing tackle.  I would let him walk.

16 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

How can you argue we shouldn’t have taken Christian after seeing all the injuries we’re dealing with again at OT?  Christian May have to start against Tampa.  As for Nsekhe, he can’t seem to stay healthy, which is critical for a backup swing tackle.  I would let him walk.

Did you actually read what I wrote? I said we should’ve still taken a, OL, I just felt and still feel w3 should’ve taken tge best interior OL on the board, IMO that guy was Mason Cole from Michigan. Cole played both C & LT at Michigan, and I’m sure he could play OG in a pinch too. 

I think if we had drafted Cole, he’d be our starting LG and we would’ve have re-signed Lavauo 7nless we got to thins point in the season, and we just had tge injury bug hit our OL again like it ha# now and like it did last year.

Nsekhe has had a few injuries, injuries are unpredictable they it happen to everyone. I wouldn’t move on from him, he’s still a valuable reserve who can play every OL position but C, that’s very hard to find in a reserve. I wouldn’t move on from him, if that’s possible. If we can continue to keep him, I do.

On 11/11/2018 at 4:51 AM, turtle28 said:

Trent is signed through 2020 (2019 cap hit = $14.776M, 2020 cap hit = $14.656M).

What do you sign him for in his 33 year old season? How much and how long?

Don’t do anything to mess with Team now as we have a weird chemistry. He needs to be traded in offseason. Sell high- his value is on a steep downward slope use that money to sign the Greek and keep building 

offense? Who cares with this team. Get a run blocking guy who can get in the way for 2 seconds before Smith Checkdowns

43 minutes ago, Doc Draper said:

Don’t do anything to mess with Team now as we have a weird chemistry. He needs to be traded in offseason. Sell high- his value is on a steep downward slope use that money to sign the Greek and keep building 

offense? Who cares with this team. Get a run blocking guy who can get in the way for 2 seconds before Smith Checkdowns

Are you talking about Trent Williams here? Because you say trade him but then follow that up with "who cares [about the offense]?"

Assuming you mean Trent, I don't think you'll be able to "sell high" given his injury history. That said, when he plays, he's very good. The Redskins just need to start planning for the post-Trent era sooner rather than later.

Just now, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

This offense badly needs a Tyreek Hill or D Jax-type player.  I think that's going to be our biggest need on offense in 2019.

Why? So this Hill/Jackson clone can sprint down the field multiple times a game then turn around to see how the underneath guy got stopped for 5-7 yards?

1 minute ago, Woz said:

Why? So this Hill/Jackson clone can sprint down the field multiple times a game then turn around to see how the underneath guy got stopped for 5-7 yards?

Smith has shown he will push the ball downfield to guys like Hill and Albert Wilson, who can create separation vertically much better than anyone currently on our roster.

4 minutes ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

Smith has shown he will push the ball downfield to guys like Hill and Albert Wilson, who can create separation vertically much better than anyone currently on our roster.

No, he benefited from those guys YAC. Remember, Hill and Wilson were also on the Chiefs' roster in 2016.

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/passing/ (only has data for 2016, 2017, and 2018, but let's take a look); definitions of these stats: https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/glossary

• 2016 (out of 39 qualifying quarterbacks)
    • Time to Throw: 2.38 seconds (tied for 38th)
    • Average Completed Air Yards: 5.0 yards (tied for 37th)
    • Average Intended Air Yards: 7.0 yards (38th)
    • Aggressiveness Percentage: 16.0% (33rd)
    • Longest Completed Air Distance: 52.1 yards (29th)
    • Air Yards To The Sticks: -1.7 yards (37th)
    • Actual Completion Percentage: 67.1% (tied for 6th)
    • Expected Completion Percentage: 67.5% (1st)

• 2017 (out of 41 qualifying quarterbacks)
    • Time to Throw: 2.67 seconds (24th)
    • Average Completed Air Yards: 5.7 yards (24th)
    • Average Intended Air Yards: 7.4 yards (tied for 24th)
    • Aggressiveness Percentage: 12.7% (tied for 40th)
    • Longest Completed Air Distance: 52.4 yards (tied for 23rd)
    • Air Yards To The Sticks: -1.4 yards (tied for 23rd)
    • Actual Completion Percentage: 67.5% (3rd)
    • Expected Completion Percentage: 67.5% (3rd)

Ah HA! you say. Look at the extra time he had to throw!
      Be careful what you wish for, I say.

• 2018 to date (out of 39 qualifying quarterbacks)
    • Time to throw: 2.77 seconds (13th)
    • Average Completed Air Yards: 5.6 yards (tied for 21st)
    • Average Intended Air Yards: 7.9 yards (tied for 20th)
    • Aggressiveness Percentage: 17.3% (tied for 13th)
    • Longest Completed Air Distance: 48.9 yards (25th)
    • Air Yards To The Sticks: -1.2 yards (tied for 24th)
    • Actual Completion Percentage: 64.1% (tied for 23rd)
    • Expected Completion Percentage: 63.3% (tied for 27th)

EDIT: Some other reads, a stat that is named after Alex Smith:

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/alex/2016/alex-season-review  [2015 season]
https://www.footballoutsiders.com/alex/2017/alex-season-review  [2016 season]
https://www.footballoutsiders.com/alex/2017/2017-alex-early-results [early part of 2017 season]
https://www.footballoutsiders.com/alex/2017/2017-alex-midseason-report [mid 2017 season]
https://www.footballoutsiders.com/alex/2018/alex-2017-season-review [2017 season]
https://www.footballoutsiders.com/alex/2018/2018-alex-early-results [early 2018 ... the perception comment at the end of the article might be particularly apt]

Archived