Bruce Irvin cut

Dessie

36 minutes ago, Dessie said:

It’s alright having a lot of money but you have to spend it wisely, our FA class this year has been terrible. 

The only "terrible" signing was Whitehead given his contract. He's not a good player and is paid like one. Otherwise, the rest of the FAs signed are short term contracts. All pretty worthless, but financially they won't hinder the team going forward. 

All the cap space now makes no sense to have and not signing Mack. FA isn't where you build a team and all that money can't go to draft picks. 

2 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

The only "terrible" signing was Whitehead given his contract. He's not a good player and is paid like one. Otherwise, the rest of the FAs signed are short term contracts. All pretty worthless, but financially they won't hinder the team going forward. 

All the cap space now makes no sense to have and not signing Mack. FA isn't where you build a team and all that money can't go to draft picks. 

Sure the contracts are easy to get out of but the quality of player we picked up has been terrible and doesn’t inspire any confidence that we can spend this cap space wisely.  

1 minute ago, Dessie said:

Sure the contracts are easy to get out of but the quality of player we picked up has been terrible and doesn’t inspire any confidence that we can spend this cap space wisely.  

I'll agree with that. There wasn't a single FA signing out of 24 I was excited about this offseason. Worley is the only one I could get behind because he's young, but even he wasn't that good at Carolina when he played.

12 hours ago, Nodisrespect said:

Lol, he's the type of player that can only play on winning teams like Crabtree or hes gonna raise hell. It's sad we can't use players like that anymore , we have to settle for guys that suck and are just happy to be in the NFL. You guys may be happy but it's a testament to the environment and coaching that we couldn't get anything out of him, he was a prized fa and he produced until Gruden landed.

WTF he sucked. Mack was the focus of the O-Line and Irving still couldn’t produce .

2 hours ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

WTF he sucked. Mack was the focus of the O-Line and Irving still couldn’t produce .

15 sacks 10 forced fumbles and 37 qb hits over the two seasons. Yes he deserved to be cut on a rebuilding team but don’t tell me never produced

Irvin is a swiss army knife/jack of all trades but master of none. He's an above average player when surrounded by better players and he was Reggie's cheerleader for tweeting at FA's to come to Oakland. Why do you think Gruden recently said what a great player he is when he wasn't even playing. Gruden wants no bad blood as he knows Irvin will throw shade at the Raiders if he's in the mood. Won't stop FA's we overpay compared to other teams, but would keep the last second pick-ups like Hankins from playing here as stop gaps.....

This is best for both team and player. We suck so he can't hurt us going to a rival or team we'd face in the playoffs. PLAYOFFS!!! This sends a message that pass rushers are hard to find and we're willing to sit and cut those who aren't 'IN' even if they were our best pass rusher. Moving him to DE was a mistake. Should have kept his weight under 250 and played him at SAM backer where we could use his abilities, but that would have been with Mack returning so...This season is an epic failure and the team doesn't look like the same team the first 3 weeks when we lead the Rams for 1st half and could have won the other games. We beat the Browns but that game the refs helped us more than we helped ourselves. We're lucky to have a win and might not get another one but vets who are gone next year might pull a few together to screw Gruden's draft position and to shine for their next team. 11 players with 2 or 3 who might be back is why we look like hot garbage. Locker room is lost and rebuild might not even be possible for another season with so much uncertainty with where we'll play next season. UGH!!!

4 hours ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

Irvin caused the most forced fumbles in the NFL since 2016 with 11. That's huge. He's a complimentary pass rusher. Saying he sucks is just ignorant. He did his part when he could be the #2 guy. 

12 hours ago, Dessie said:

With hindsight it looks a bad decision but Irvin was our nominee for the Walter Payton award last year doing a lot of good work in the community and was productive till this year. I dont know whether it’s injuries,, age and/or frustration with what has gone on for his playing time to have been cut.

Partially reactionary, true. But dude just totally gave up on the team when he was supposed to be a leader. That is the opposite of being a captain. I also wonder if he was bad in the locker room to just be cut outright at a time like this when we are sorely lacking in pass rush. I can understand and empathize with being downtrodden by your job but there's 52+ other guys relying on you to be a pro. So go be a pro. Don't get BS poor sport roughing the passer penalties. No wonder his snap count got cut. IIRC of his 3 sacks, one was a coverage sack and another was a busted play where he had a free run to the QB

9 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Ughhhh I hate the Whitehead contract. Guy hasn't done jack. He can't tackle well. He can't cover well. He can't see angles well. He can't blitz well. I would rather see what Morrow could do at  WLB ahead of him. Put Whitehead at SLB.

18 minutes ago, Silver&Black88 said:

Partially reactionary, true. But dude just totally gave up on the team when he was supposed to be a leader. That is the opposite of being a captain. I also wonder if he was bad in the locker room to just be cut outright at a time like this when we are sorely lacking in pass rush. I can understand and empathize with being downtrodden by your job but there's 52+ other guys relying on you to be a pro. So go be a pro. Don't get BS poor sport roughing the passer penalties. No wonder his snap count got cut. IIRC of his 3 sacks, one was a coverage sack and another was a busted play where he had a free run to the QB

Ughhhh I hate the Whitehead contract. Guy hasn't done jack. He can't tackle well. He can't cover well. He can't see angles well. He can't blitz well. I would rather see what Morrow could do at  WLB ahead of him. Put Whitehead at SLB.

Yeah I get the criticism of Irvin but up till this year he had been good addition to the team. Gruden alluded to it being a schematic issue but surely that should have been identified early in the off season especially when he had a non guaranteed contract so would have been an easy cut. 

With DRC and DJ quitting on the team, Melvin a healthy scratch and now Irvin being cut it definitely suggests there is a problem in the locker room imo.

11 minutes ago, Dessie said:

Yeah I get the criticism of Irvin but up till this year he had been good addition to the team. Gruden alluded to it being a schematic issue but surely that should have been identified early in the off season especially when he had a non guaranteed contract so would have been an easy cut. 

With DRC and DJ quitting on the team, Melvin a healthy scratch and now Irvin being cut it definitely suggests there is a problem in the locker room imo.

Derrick Johnson quit? I thought he got cut because he was washed up. Melvin didn't get a fair shake imo. Sounds like he was fed some BS about technique to justify benching him, I can see how that would get under his skin. He'll play well somewhere else next year I bet. DRC definitely quit though. It does seem like there are issues. Not sure its the players in the locker room so much as a lack of faith in coaching. Even still, most of our defense doesn't even look like they're trying. It didn't feel like that with KNJ but then again he had better talent and leadership around (before anyone says anything, I don't want KNJ over Guenther)

6 minutes ago, Silver&Black88 said:

Derrick Johnson quit? I thought he got cut because he was washed up. Melvin didn't get a fair shake imo. Sounds like he was fed some BS about technique to justify benching him, I can see how that would get under his skin. He'll play well somewhere else next year I bet. DRC definitely quit though. It does seem like there are issues. Not sure its the players in the locker room so much as a lack of faith in coaching. Even still, most of our defense doesn't even look like they're trying. It didn't feel like that with KNJ but then again he had better talent and leadership around (before anyone says anything, I don't want KNJ over Guenther)

According to NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport, Johnson had requested his release from the team.

Thats why I had DJ quitting. 

23 hours ago, Nodisrespect said:

Lol, he's the type of player that can only play on winning teams like Crabtree or hes gonna raise hell. It's sad we can't use players like that anymore , we have to settle for guys that suck and are just happy to be in the NFL. You guys may be happy but it's a testament to the environment and coaching that we couldn't get anything out of him, he was a prized fa and he produced until Gruden landed.

I thought Irvin was a good player for us (up until this season at least), set the edge pretty well, created a few turnovers and was a decent complimentary pass rusher. Making him our only pass rusher was always asking for trouble and as you say, looked a shell of his former self so probably right to let him go. I always thought he'd work best as a 3-4 pass rushing LB. 

9 hours ago, SimonGruber said:

15 sacks 10 forced fumbles and 37 qb hits over the two seasons. Yes he deserved to be cut on a rebuilding team but don’t tell me never produced

Last year he was tied for 30th in the NFL for sacks with 8 and that was his highest sack total ever.

Archived