Raiders cut Bruce Irvin

game3525

42 minutes ago, ThirtyOne-EightyNine said:

Irvin was a fan favorite here in Seattle. Not sure where you read about that. He played outside LB for us so dropped in coverage the first two downs and rushed on 3rd. Not sure how he was used in Oakland but he is limited in pass rush moves so having him use his speed rush in obvious pass situations during the game worked OK for us.

I hope Seattle signs him. He loves Ken Norton so I wouldnt be surprised.

I 1000% expect him to sign with Seattle. Norton is his boy. No one was more upset about him getting fired than Bruce. Plus i assume he could fill Kendricks' void in the LB unit.

32 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Really? I thought he was considered a massive reach? I remember no mocks had him in the 1st round and he was considered by most to be a 3rd round talent...

Perhaps I'm thinking of someone else...

1 minute ago, Pugger said:

Perhaps I'm thinking of someone else...

He was a boom/bust guy.     There were alot of people who liked his upside, but I think he was largely considered a reach in the first.

5 hours ago, ThirtyOne-EightyNine said:

Irvin was a fan favorite here in Seattle. Not sure where you read about that. He played outside LB for us so dropped in coverage the first two downs and rushed on 3rd. Not sure how he was used in Oakland but he is limited in pass rush moves so having him use his speed rush in obvious pass situations during the game worked OK for us.

I hope Seattle signs him. He loves Ken Norton so I wouldnt be surprised.

Did he not say in 2015 during the the season, that he wanted to be in Atlanta? This is all after the goal line debacle in the Super Bowl. Hes not a cancer in the locker room, but more an annoyance.

I doubt we do it but the Falcons have been linked to him numerous of times via trades over the years and even in FA at some point before he signed with the Raiders for more than we were willing to go money wise i think.   Quinn seems to like irvin and speaks highly of him and he would know the defense quite well after playing under quinn in his best years.  For the right price i wouldn't be against giving him a look plus his home when not playing for another team is in Georgia he might like to be closer to home his last year or 2 in the league?

3 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

Someone should grab the Mack, Cooper, and Irvin hot takes and compare them to them from a year ago.

This this this.

I really really would enjoy seeing what Raiders fans had to say about these guys who their $100 million dollar CEO has given the boot to. 

The funniest part about this whole notion of :"Gruden is cutting the dead weight and the older guys who are overpaid! Because rebuild!!!!" by (mostly) OAK fans is the absurd and contradictory moves of Grudens tenure so far. 

-Gets to Oakland and essentially has full control of the team as we all know

-Signs older veteran players to replace the younger ones he already had in place becaue "we want to win"

-Trades a 26 year old top 3 defensive player

-Team immediately feels effects of the boneheaded roster changes made by Gruden in it's horrid pass rush, inconsistent run game led by multiple old ineffective RBs who have both gotten hurt at one point or another, and the inability of any of it's receivers to get down field (or really just do anything; lone exception being Jared Cook)

-After understandable struggles by Derek Carr, due part because of his own issues but also part because of the scheme that isn't that creative with an offense that is literally just Jared Cook....Gruden just goes right to town on his QB, throwing him under the bus in public constantly. The same QB whom Gruden was allegedly just infatuated with not long ago and said to be a "huge reason" for why he took this job. 

It's just insane how bad Gruden is for the Raiders. IDC if he has been "decent" as a coach so far (although I disagree with that opinion), the fact remains that this guy is on a 10 year deal for $100 million. He is the CEO of that team. Most competent coaches couldn't do all the things that is required of both a HC and GM at the same time, let alone a guy who hadn't been a coach for 10+ years and was never even good when he was coaching. 

I mean the guy has made one...ONE good move. The Cooper trade. And that was more just dumb luck for him that there are actually owners who commandeer the reigns of their teams and make idiotic decisions (hey Jerruh)

The other baffling thing about all this is that some people are salivating at the 5 first round picks that Oakland has in the next two drafts. Which in a vacuum is a fantastic prospect for a team in desperate need of a total teardown. But the problem is that you have to actually draft the right players with those picks. And the guy making those decisions has a proven history of flat out sucking at talent evaluation.

@BAConrad I will say, Gruden probably had this mindset from the get-go and committed to the tank once he realized just how bad they were. I’m not putting a fork in them re-building (who other than the Browns can screw up that many first rounders?), it’s just funny to me how Cooper’s drops were just a phase, Mack is a future HOFer, Carr is a top 5-10 talent, etc. before. But now...

Archived