Bruce Irvin released by the Raiders

WindyCity

14 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Has he cleared waivers?

No. Not yet. but he'll be a FA if no team claims him by this afternoon. Which is most likely the outcome at this point since no team is going to pick up the $4M left on his contract when they can just wait until he hits FA and let the Raiders fit the bill. 

He might be worth a look for the rest of the season as an insurance policy but I wouldn't count on him for much more. Especially since Pace/Nagy's approach to the roster has been pretty clear on getting this team young talent.

Irvin would be a good add if he clears waivers and can be had for cheap.  Not sure if Bears would even entertain bringing him in but things that we have going for us over other teams is that Mack is close with Irvin and we are in contention for the playoffs right now.  I'm sure he wants to play for a contender at this point in his career.

I don't see how we don't at least kick the tires... you can never have enough pass rushers and, sorry Leonard Floyd, but you haven't done much of anything this year save for a look what I found pick 6.

2 minutes ago, G08 said:

I don't see how we don't at least kick the tires... you can never have enough pass rushers and, sorry Leonard Floyd, but you haven't done much of anything this year save for a look what I found pick 6.

Agreed, wholeheartedly. Plus after playing in Pete Carrols defense, there wouldn't be much of a learning curve either. I say we sign him to a 1 year deal which essentially wouldn't cost us a dime because the Raiders are now required to pay him the remaining contract(3.8M) + pay for any new contract for the next 8 games.  

8 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

Rook question, but would all of our cap space rol over if we don't sign any more? What's cap for next year?

OTC has us at $21M but that's not a final number as alot goes into that.

Jason(owner of OTC) just did a pretty nice article on it today if you wanna check it out.

https://overthecap.com/maximum-2019-cap-space-per-team/ 

5 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

He was a Captain for us, and legitimately quit on the team. He sucked being "the" guy and routinely showed little motor. 

However as a #2/3 pass-rusher, you could do worse. 

I don't like hearing about a player quitting on any team, but given the current state and circumstances in Oakland I'm willing look to beyond that.

The 2nd part is good to hear because that is all we would really need him to be---a back up role who would only see starter snaps if either; Mack, Lynch, Floyd, Hicks, RH or Bullard go down with an injury for an extended period of time. His versatility and experience as both up and down pass rusher would give us another veteran body on an already built front-7. 

1 hour ago, JustAnotherFan said:

I don't like hearing about a player quitting on any team, but given the current state and circumstances in Oakland I'm willing look to beyond that.

The 2nd part is good to hear because that is all we would really need him to be---a back up role who would only see starter snaps if either; Mack, Lynch, Floyd, Hicks, RH or Bullard go down with an injury for an extended period of time. His versatility and experience as both up and down pass rusher would give us another veteran body on an already built front-7. 

The two most likely places I can see him going are Chicago and Seattle. He loves KNJ and was pissed when we fired him. He would love to reunite with him. Then of course he had his best luck opposite Mack, so going for round 2 with him would be appealing of course too. 

13 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

The two most likely places I can see him going are Chicago and Seattle. He loves KNJ and was pissed when we fired him. He would love to reunite with him. Then of course he had his best luck opposite Mack, so going for round 2 with him would be appealing of course too. 

Yep, I agree about SEA and CHI being the front runners on his list--in that order too (which is why I brought up Carrol earlier) and from a fan standpoint, who would like to see what he can do in this defense, does not look good for our chances. Afterall, it was Carrol who helped mold him into what he has been known for all of these years (an elite pass rusher). So, it's a hard choice for him to make at this stage in his career.  EDIT: Both teams are on the playoff bubble. One features a coach that you respect and help make you. But on the other hand, the Bears are more likely to make the playoffs than they are---which equals more money.  

7 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Yep, I agree about SEA and CHI being the front runners on his list--in that order too (which is why I brought up Carrol earlier) and from a fan standpoint, who would like to see what he can do in this defense, does not look good for our chances. Afterall, it was Carrol who helped mold him into what he has been known for all of these years (an elite pass rusher). So, it's a hard choice for him to make at this stage in his career.  EDIT: Both teams are on the playoff bubble. One features a coach that you respect and help make you. But on the other hand, the Bears are more likely to make the playoffs than they are---which equals more money.  

When was Bruce Irvin ever known as an elite pass rusher?

46 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Falcons.  I don't believe Bears were ever even considering him and I agree.

I don't think they did either... the cynic in me thinks it's because they didn't want to belittle Floyd's confidence.

50 bucks says Floyd hits the HGH/roids this off-season, has a monster season next year, gets paid to go on another team and then gets busted.

Archived