San Antonio attempting to land NFL team

DigInBoys

1 hour ago, onejayhawk said:

Don't be. The Raiders are more likely. Even that's not very likely.

What I could see is Charlotte moving to Virginia.

J

Charlotte or Carolina. Because that team represents two states.

And they aren't leaving.

The Chargers and Bengals are more likely.

25 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Three people have now mentioned the Chargers without any explanation as to why.....SMH.

I would assume it's because they are third in their market after the Rams and Raiders, and can barely get a home crowd at a freakin Soccer Stadium...even though they are having a pretty good year.

2 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

I would assume it's because they are third in their market after the Rams and Raiders, and can barely get a home crowd at a freakin Soccer Stadium...even though they are having a pretty good year.

Yep. There have been talks about moving the Chargers because they have no real fan support in LA. 

13 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

Those may be the numbers right now but that's during a transition period with 2 other current teams in the same state. So what changes if they move to Texas? 

Just wait until after the Raiders make the final move.

Cali will always have 2 NFL teams. It's a large market. A market that inspired Texas to incorporate another team in the first place and that is not ever going away. The Rams are not going anywhere anytime soon....especially now. So who else? The Chargers.

Hell, I would count on them moving back to SD before moving all the way to Texas with 2 other teams.

11 hours ago, DingoLadd said:

Jerry Jones+McNair would probably block the move but eh who knows.

This. Neither Jerruh or Billionaire Bob wants to share this ultra-profitable region with anyone. Hell, Jerruh was trying to block Bob in 2001, so no doubt both would fight this tooth and nail.

San Antonio isn't big enough to support both a wildly successful basketball team and a pro football team - especially if that team isn't good right out the shoot. 

6 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Those may be the numbers right now but that's during a transition period with 2 other current teams in the same state. So what changes if they move to Texas? 

Cali will always have 2 NFL teams. It's a large market. A market that inspired Texas to incorporate another team in the first place and that is not ever going away. The Rams are not going anywhere anytime soon....especially now. So who else? The Chargers.

Hell, I would count on them moving back to SD before moving all the way to Texas with 2 other teams.

Cali would still have 2 NFL teams if the Chargers left. The Niners and the Rams.

The Chargers in LA is going nowhere fast. It was expected to go nowhere and has proven to be even worse than predicted considering the meteoric rise of the Rams (who still arent filling the stadium with Rams fans). It is losing revenue and would continue to. And they will continue to be tenants in any Los Angeles stadium. Essentially living in the basement of their big brothers house. I mean think about it... why do most teams move? Because of stadium issues. The Chargers dont even have a stadium!

I just don't anticipate them being in LA much longer. The Chargers to San Antonio or Portland or BACK TO SAN DIEGO makes too much sense.

10 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

The only other alternative that I could think of was maybe the Texans moving, but that's even more of a long shot considering their stadium just hosted the Superbowl so they're not going anywhere anytime soon.

Texans moving from Houston is about as likely as the Packers moving from Green Bay (not really, but using dramatic flair to express the odds). McNair found fertile ground here - a fanbase that already lost the Houston Oilers, with plenty of disposal income to buy PSLs, overpriced tickets/parking passes and JJ Watt jerseys in every concievable color (including camouflage - if you ever wanted to hunt deer while repping the three time DPOY). He's got a top 5 franchise in terms of profitability without any sort of on-field success. 

Darkhorse candidate? New Orleans. Remember - right after Hurricane Katrina, the talk was that the Saints would limp into either Oklahoma City or San Antonio. It was a move that reflected the state of the team as well as the venue, as this was pre-Drew Brees. The franchise turned it around, but the facility? Renovated, yes. But I can see an outside chance of the franchise exploring options elsewhere, especially if life post-Drew Brees is as bad as it was pre-Drew Brees.

9 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

Don't be. The Raiders are more likely. Even that's not very likely.

What I could see is Charlotte moving to Virginia.

J

How have you come to that conclusion?

The Raiders have already agreed a move to Las Vegas, where they will undoubtedly stay for a number of years.

The Chargers have just moved, but it appears they are really struggling to build any kind of fanbase in LA. Their fans are outnumbered every week, even by out-of-state teams like the Chiefs and Steelers - and that's in a tiny stadium. People who support the Rams or Raiders in LA aren't just suddenly going to change team when the Chargers move in to Kroenke's new arena, so I can't see their fanbase expanding in any meaningful way any time soon. It's far more feasible that they move again before the Raiders.

Personally, I hope they don't go to San Antonio, as they belong in San Diego - hopefully with a few years away there will be some movement on trying to relocate back there a realistic proposition again.

6 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

The Raiders moving won't affect the Los Angeles Raider fanbase in any way, imo. If anything, it might increase it, as it's easier to get from LA to Vegas than it is from LA to Oakland.

Very, very few people living in LA will convert from Raiders to Chargers.

And you seem to have completely forgotten that the 49ers exist.

I currently live in Austin and the San Antonio/Austin market is close to the size of Chicago (where Im from). I would love a football team here. The NFL sells out no matter where it is though so Im not sure who would relocate. Like I would say Jaguars but even they are doing fine 

Archived