San Antonio attempting to land NFL team

DigInBoys

14 minutes ago, MonserinNC said:

I currently live in Austin and the San Antonio/Austin market is close to the size of Chicago (where Im from). 

Is it fair to merge those two markets, though? This isn't a Dallas/Ft. Worth or Minneapolis/St. Paul situation where they are sister cities - you're talking two separate markets entirely. 

16 minutes ago, MonserinNC said:

The NFL sells out no matter where it is though so Im not sure who would relocate. Like I would say Jaguars but even they are doing fine 

I'll agree with this to an extent - Oilers/Cowboys preseason games would sell out when they played in the Alamodome, so you see an appetite.

This being said, in that time where football season overlaps with basketball season (so, right about now) you'd lose your fanbase in San Antonio in a heartbeat with the Spurs...

1 hour ago, MonserinNC said:

I currently live in Austin and the San Antonio/Austin market is close to the size of Chicago (where Im from). I would love a football team here. The NFL sells out no matter where it is though so Im not sure who would relocate. Like I would say Jaguars but even they are doing fine 

No it's not. When you talk about markets you compare metro areas not just the cities themselves.

Even if you combine the San Antonio and Austin metros they are still less than half the size of the Chicago metro.

The Chargers aren't moving out of L.A, unless Spanos sells the team. The new owner would then have to move them out of the 2nd market in U.S and for what San Antonio, Portland, or back down to San Diego? that simply isn't going to happen. NFL owners don't care which fans are in the stands so as long at the stands are packed. 

15 hours ago, PatriotsWin! said:

Jaguars are a potential candidate but they seem to be eyeing London already. Chargers in a few years if LA continues to ignore them. I don't see the NFL expanding anytime soon.

Good Gosh, the times that this has been mentioned as a possibility before has brought yowls of protest from one of the Jaguars' fanboys, who insists that Shahid "Shad" Khan, sexy Pakistani-American Car-Bumper billionaire, will never abandon Jacksonville for London (despite owning a soccer club, The Liverpool Flex-Gate, over there already).

Whyyyyyy, LOOK at all the things Shad Khan has done for the Jaguars, the city of Jacksonville, disenfranchised immigrants from storm-torn Carribean islands, the Homeless Bums of the streets of Jacksonville, Donald Trump, etc.; he funded the move to provide Blake Bortles for Jaguar fans; he spent flamboyantly to build a contending team around Blake Bortles for Jaguar fans; he may someday even get rid of Blake Bortles, for Jaguar fans!

Shad Khan funded a refurbishing of EverTank Field- Home of the Jacksonville Jaguars!- covering up vast stretches of empty seats, NOT because they were empty seats, but in order to provide swimming pools, cabanas, water parks, thrill rides, gambling dens, and House of Ill Repute for the citizens of Jacksonville. He converted the south end of EverTank to The World's Largest Video Game Board, the "B.S. 4", or something, funded in part by his own financial group, Lizard Largesse!

Shad Khan (sexy car-bumper billionaire) loves Jacksonville. He would NEVER move his team to London, and change their name to the Jag-you-ahs.

Or so I have read on these pages before.

God luv ya, Shad Khan! And God bless Blake Bortles!

Image result for shahid khan  

15 hours ago, DigInBoys said:

They won't. For a lot of reasons I don't want to get into, they won't. Cincinnati or Jacksonville are more likely to move.

Now as far as San Antonio goes, I don't think it's likely they get a team.

Why? The game of football doesn't need to be grown in Texas. It's already football crazy.

The NFL wants to grow the game globally, and in that regard Canada, the UK, or even Mexico are more likely bets.

I also think that any way to encourage growth from the Latino market makes the most sense. London? No way. Travel costs and tax rates will keep that from happening. Canada? For a while Toronto was hosting some Bills games, which didn't sit well with us. Tax rates also discourage FA from signing vs. in the U.S. though. Mexico can be accessed one really cheap way (as long as our borders were opened up some) and that would be putting a team in El Paso. Traffic across the border is enormous at El Paso. It is a large metro area (over 2.5 million, maybe up to 3 million) when you add in the people across the border in Ciudad Juárez. Most people there are bilingual already and radio and tv communication is already set up there in Spanish. The Chargers could go there and remain in the west geographically. No real history of strong support for them across the border, but it might grow, once the area and culture had their "own team". I don't see a brand new team being added anytime soon, as most have already pointed out, you'd need to bring in a 2nd team as well. Years from now, maybe that happens and Birmingham comes along for the ride. Not now, though.

2 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Astonishing the Raiders never ended up moving to LA. It made too much sense.

I don't think the league would ever let them move back.

For one, Davis is cash-poor and not the business mind you need returning to that kind of market.

Secondly and most importantly, the Raiders fanbase doesn't project the image that the league, or really a silent majority of potential fans prefer.

48 minutes ago, Yibbyl said:

I also think that any way to encourage growth from the Latino market makes the most sense. London? No way. Travel costs and tax rates will keep that from happening. Canada? For a while Toronto was hosting some Bills games, which didn't sit well with us. Tax rates also discourage FA from signing vs. in the U.S. though. Mexico can be accessed one really cheap way (as long as our borders were opened up some) and that would be putting a team in El Paso. Traffic across the border is enormous at El Paso. It is a large metro area (over 2.5 million, maybe up to 3 million) when you add in the people across the border in Ciudad Juárez. Most people there are bilingual already and radio and tv communication is already set up there in Spanish. The Chargers could go there and remain in the west geographically. No real history of strong support for them across the border, but it might grow, once the area and culture had their "own team". I don't see a brand new team being added anytime soon, as most have already pointed out, you'd need to bring in a 2nd team as well. Years from now, maybe that happens and Birmingham comes along for the ride. Not now, though.

I think it makes more sense to go to Canada first. It's a wealthier country, much more similar culturally, and football is an established sport there.

I think if the NFL put a team in Toronto(Not having the Bills play games against bad competition at high ticket prices) the NFL could thrive there, with Vancouver and Montreal as potential markets too.

2 hours ago, Classic said:

The Chargers aren't moving out of L.A, unless Spanos sells the team. The new owner would then have to move them out of the 2nd market in U.S and for what San Antonio, Portland, or back down to San Diego? that simply isn't going to happen. NFL owners don't care which fans are in the stands so as long at the stands are packed. 

But the stands arent packed. They arent going to be packed. And they stand a better chance of being packed in a stadium in another city.

4 minutes ago, Non-Issue said:

But the stands arent packed. They arent going to be packed. And they stand a better chance of being packed in a stadium in another city.

They've sold out their season tickets both years at stubhub.

If the Clippers can pack the stands, the Chargers will be able to figure it out.

36 minutes ago, DigInBoys said:

They've sold out their season tickets both years at stubhub.

If the Clippers can pack the stands, the Chargers will be able to figure it out.

Stub Hub Center is a 27,000 seat stadium. And every week it is full of empty seats and opposing fans. Did you see the Chiefs game for gods sake??? It's only a 27,000 seat stadium (with tarped areas, mind you) and I am not sure if 10 Chargers fans showed up.

Related image

Even when they're the only ones that show up, Chargers fans might fill half the stadium. No owner or player wants to play 16 "away" games every year.

The NFL is losing money with the Chargers failings. The NFL image is losing prestige with the Chargers failings. And most importantly (as far as the topic is concerned) the Chargers franchise isn't upping its value by staying in LA. The franchise was valued at 2.03 billion dollars by Forbes before the move. After the first year the value rose to @ 2.275 billion. Not bad? Well how about this year? STILL at 2.275 billion. And this year they get to start paying that 650 million dollar relocation fee the NFL stuck them with after they couldnt convince Spanos to stay in San Diego and work it out. 

The value of the Rams franchise TRIPLED since moving to LA. They are now the 4th most valuable franchise in the NFL. The Chargers are LOSING money moving there. And there arent any signs that the bleeding is going to stop.

Nobody in LA gave a squirt of piss about the Chargers before they moved to LA. Nobody in LA wanted them. Not the NFL. Not Kroenke. Not the Angelinos. Nobody. And they still don't want the Chargers. They never will. 

The NFL is going to move the Chargers. The pressure is already building. They will find a fix. And it won't involve the Chargers in LA.

7 hours ago, ET80 said:

Hell, Jerruh was trying to block Bob in 2001, so no doubt both would fight this tooth and nail.

https://247sports.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/Article/Jerry-Jones-owned-Texans-name-rights-allowed-Houston-to-use-122812756/

"Houston is one of my favorite places in the country," Jones said. "No one worked or stood any harder on the table to have [a franchise] return to Houston. As a matter of fact, I actually had the rights to the name 'Texans' when Houston came. Bob McNair wanted that name, and I agreed to stand down and [figured] that would be great for them to call it the Texans."

If Jerry had his way, there would be 60 teams in the league. He loves to make money and anything to make the league more money, adds to his bottom line. He was one of the loudest voices in supporting Kroenke's move back to California. IIRC, he was also key for the last minute financing of the Raiders' new Stadium, IIRC.  Why? Because those moves would make more money for the League.

Back on-topic:

IMO, if a new team emerged in San Antonio, it would likely generate more new fans than stealing any away from the Texans or Cowboys.

Archived