San Antonio attempting to land NFL team

DigInBoys

On 11/3/2018 at 10:02 PM, JetsandI said:

Cool... Why don't Giants move over there.   Gotham City belongs to Jets.

That's hilarious.  

While I think the league may be content to stay at 32, it's still quite possible that they expand to 36, and include cities like Mexico City, San Antonio, Virginia Beach, et al...we'll see what happens.  

33 minutes ago, swede700 said:

That's hilarious.  

While I think the league may be content to stay at 32, it's still quite possible that they expand to 36, and include cities like Mexico City, San Antonio, Virginia Beach, et al...we'll see what happens.  

Can see them going that route too, cause $$$$

But competitively it's like the last thing we need...would make the league even weaker.

8 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

Can see them going that route too, cause $$$$

But competitively it's like the last thing we need...would make the league even weaker.

True...and I don't think it will happen, but I'm not ruling it out because of the owners' greed.  

6 minutes ago, swede700 said:

True...and I don't think it will happen, but I'm not ruling it out because of the owners' greed.  

Oh yeah, it'll happen eventually...just hoping for our sakes it's in 20 years at the earliest...and depending if trends continue (of kids not playing Football as much) that might not even work.

Especially with Basketball becoming more popular, and taking some of the larger athletes that might've made great NFL linemen, TEs and LBs.
It's honestly the one reason why I'm all for them increasing efforts overseas. It's a big population pool to get, at the very least, Linemen from.

I don't see them moving a team over there, but if you have teams that don't sell well at home. Have them do a two game back to back in London, Glasgow, Berlin and other places that showed interest in American Football historically. Always heard how much Germany supported NFL Europe...why haven't they gone back?

6 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

The NFL didn't want the Chargers in LA, though. Most owners wanted only one team in LA, the Rams, which is why they made the additional penalty on Spanos if he did decide to move.

How is having a team in LA with no fan support whatsoever good monetarily? Yes, LA is a fantastic market but you've already tapped that with the Rams, who frankly need space to grow into their market.

I don't know where you got that from, but that's simply not true.  Before ANY teams had talked relocation is was flat out known that the league didn't want just one team in LA, they wanted to.  Trust me, we heard people whine like children in a supermarket line whose mommy won't but them candy about it, back since we were talking about AEG possibly building "Farmers Field" in Downtown LA where the current LA Convention Center is.

Your second paragraph... dude, just go do research because you either don't understand how sports markets work or you don't get the amount of money that's capable of coming from the  2nd LARGEST MEDIA MARKET IN THE COUNTRY.  You're not just going to stick 1 team there.  The market itself has a population bigger than some states that have multiple teams right now.

3 hours ago, Roninho said:

Would the finances of the Rams stadium still work if the Chargers move out of LA? I do not know the details, but i assume they split the investment or the Chargers pay a big yearly rental fee?

Yes.  Kroenke was self-financing (KES - his broader company - took out the loans) and was building in additional money-making opportunities into the venue (a second amphitheater/concert/event venue on-site, new NFL Network Studios which he's turning around and leasing to the League), the Chargers being brought in to pay rent was gravy for KSE.  That one of the big reasons why the proposal he put in front of the rest of the owners blew the Raiders/Chargers proposal out of the water - it was way more stable, because of the people behind it.

23 minutes ago, The LBC said:

I don't know where you got that from, but that's simply not true.  Before ANY teams had talked relocation is was flat out known that the league didn't want just one team in LA, they wanted to.  Trust me, we heard people whine like children in a supermarket line whose mommy won't but them candy about it, back since we were talking about AEG possibly building "Farmers Field" in Downtown LA where the current LA Convention Center is.

Your second paragraph... dude, just go do research because you either don't understand how sports markets work or you don't get the amount of money that's capable of coming from the  2nd LARGEST MEDIA MARKET IN THE COUNTRY.  You're not just going to stick 1 team there.  The market itself has a population bigger than some states that have multiple teams right now.

Yes.  Kroenke was self-financing (KES - his broader company - took out the loans) and was building in additional money-making opportunities into the venue (a second amphitheater/concert/event venue on-site, new NFL Network Studios which he's turning around and leasing to the League), the Chargers being brought in to pay rent was gravy for KSE.  That one of the big reasons why the proposal he put in front of the rest of the owners blew the Raiders/Chargers proposal out of the water - it was way more stable, because of the people behind it.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-reportedly-already-concerned-that-chargers-might-fail-in-los-angeles/

There was several articles like this coming out after it was reported the Chargers were moving; owners didn't want to rush back into the LA market.

Perhaps I don't understand how Sports Markets work, but even with a high population, you still need people from that population to buy product in order to make money. Also what state has multiple teams in which LA's metro population is higher?

8 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-reportedly-already-concerned-that-chargers-might-fail-in-los-angeles/

There was several articles like this coming out after it was reported the Chargers were moving; owners didn't want to rush back into the LA market.

Perhaps I don't understand how Sports Markets work, but even with a high population, you still need people from that population to buy product in order to make money. Also what state has multiple teams in which LA's metro population is higher?

Um... Ohio; population of less than 12 million (that's 2/3 the size of Greater Los Angeles).  Formerly Missouri (population of 1/3 the size of Greater Los Angeles).  And with regard to the later, your state (Florida) is one that comes to mind.  The Greater Los Angeles market (which often doesn't get included Orange and Riverside County - and now that there is no team in San Diego, the media market extends further south than it used to) is nearly 18 million people.  At last census, the population of Florida was just shy of 21 million.  The state of New York has a population of just under 20m (granted, to be fair we need to include New Jersey into that market).

Also, this isn't a dig at you, but it's a relevant criticism in this instance that has a larger spread across the site... do people actually read the articles they post as supporting evidence for their claims or are they just reading the headlines?

The article you posted is flimsy as hell in supporting your claim.  If there were "several articles like it" that came out when it was reported the Chargers were moving, why aren't you linking to those?  The article you posted says nothing about the owners "not wanting to rush back into the LA market."  At best, it suggests that "people in the league office" (about as general as you can get - and ultimately, the owners make the decisions) have brought up moving the team back to San Diego... because they have the kind of influence to achieve that.  The writer is dangling generalities to try and something seem more controversial than it is in order to sell copy.

And people are reading this "flip tax" the wrong way.  That, if anything, suggests the league would be fine with Spanos selling the team if they lose faith in him as a guy to run the other turret (so to speak) in LA, they just want as much say-so and control in who he would sell to as possible.  Trust me, if Jerry Richardson (who, as few as 2 years ago, was one of the most powerful owners in the league) can be forced into selling (and he was, he went amicably because he screwed up and he knew it) his franchise, Dean Spanos, who has fractional cachet to what Richardson had, can be forced out.  The league is basically just saying, "If you want this tax waived, if and when you sell, you'll sell to the guy that we prefer."  That last bit is likely to avoid any sale to a consortium (similar to those that now own the Dodgers and LAFC) which the owners have long had an aversion to letting into their business model.

1 minute ago, The LBC said:

Um... Ohio; population of less than 12 million (that's 2/3 the size of Greater Los Angeles).  Formerly Missouri (population of 1/3 the size of Greater Los Angeles).  And with regard to the later, your state (Florida) is one that comes to mind.  The Greater Los Angeles market (which often doesn't get included Orange and Riverside County - and now that there is no team in San Diego, the media market extends further south than it used to) is nearly 18 million people.  At last census, the population of Florida was just shy of 21 million.  The state of New York has a population of just under 20m (granted, to be fair we need to include New Jersey into that market).

Also, this isn't a dig at you, but it's a relevant criticism in this instance that has a larger spread across the site... do people actually read the articles they post as supporting evidence for their claims or are they just reading the headlines?

The article you posted is flimsy as hell in supporting your claim.  If there were "several articles like it" that came out when it was reported the Chargers were moving, why aren't you linking to those?  The article you posted says nothing about the owners "not wanting to rush back into the LA market."  At best, it suggests that "people in the league office" (about as general as you can get - and ultimately, the owners make the decisions) have brought up moving the team back to San Diego... because they have the kind of influence to achieve that.  The writer is dangling generalities to try and something seem more controversial than it is in order to sell copy.

And people are reading this "flip tax" the wrong way.  That, if anything, suggests the league would be fine with Spanos selling the team if they lose faith in him as a guy to run the other turret (so to speak) in LA, they just want as much say-so and control in who he would sell to as possible.  Trust me, if Jerry Richardson (who, as few as 2 years ago, was one of the most powerful owners in the league) can be forced into selling (and he was, he went amicably because he screwed up and he knew it) his franchise, Dean Spanos, who has fractional cachet to what Richardson had, can be forced out.  The league is basically just saying, "If you want this tax waived, if and when you sell, you'll sell to the guy that we prefer."  That last bit is likely to avoid any sale to a consortium (similar to those that now own the Dodgers and LAFC) which the owners have long had an aversion to letting into their business model.

I don't live in Florida, I merely root from a team in Florida.

I really didn't care enough to dig up multiple articles from a year ago but sure, here's some more

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/chargers/2017/01/11/san-diego-los-angeles-relocation-move/96159418/

There's also the actions of the owners that tell me they were less than thrilled about Spanos moving, as they offered $300M to the Chargers to try to get a deal done in SD, incentivizing them to stay.

I could be wrong and frankly I'll just concede this to you cause I honestly don't care enough to defend this view./shrug

5 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

There's also the actions of the owners that tell me they were less than thrilled about Spanos moving, as they offered $300M to the Chargers to try to get a deal done in SD, incentivizing them to stay.

And it never occurred to you that might be because they didn't want to lose San Diego as an NFL market or team locale as opposed to trying to keep a second team from LA?  The league was trying to have its cake and eat it too (i.e. keep a team in San Diego and put two teams in LA).  The ideal situation for them that never came to fruition would have been remedying the error of the 90's and putting the Rams and Raiders both back in LA.

Face it, in a state with a population that exceeds 40 million, if it could the league would have preferred to have 5 teams.  They don't give a rat's *** about "fair," they care about "profits".  And the very basics of 21st century business is more people = more and bigger corporations and more corporations = more money.

Roundabout, the league trying to incentivize the Chargers, specifically, staying in San Diego likely had a lot to do with a total lack of faith in the Spanos family (one I'd contend has since been justified and proven) to execute a proper change-of-market plan.  This is less that the league didn't want a 2nd team in LA (which they did; they're going to make a killing on the upcoming new media deal because of having two teams in the now the largest and 2nd largest media markets), they didn't want a cheap-*** owner with no connection to the market he was moving into going to LA - especially one who is arrogant enough to believe that he knows exactly what he's doing (and to think he's "doing a great job" - and that quoted bit is word for word the statements I've gotten in private conversation from more than one reporter who have followed the Chargers both in San Diego and LA).

Even when Frontiere moved the Rams to St. Louis, that was her hometown; she had a vested interest and connection to the city.  The Spanos family are northern California nouveau riche who never assimilated themselves into the San Diego community (they gave money, but their actually community involvement was all done in Northern California because that was their community).

Don't see a point of an NFL team in San Antonio.  Aren't most fans in this region either Cowboys or Texans fans anyway?

If any other city gets an NFL team I'd like to see St. Louis get it back.  Those fans deserve a team.

Archived