Predicted 53 Man Roster/Depth Chart After Game 2 of PreSeason

thebriguy90

OFFENSE

QB - Wentz, Foles (2)

Wentz is the guy, and he is going to be awesome this year even though his best friend is now in Buffalo. He needs to maintain his mechanics more, but he will continue to progress in being one of the future greats in this league. Having Nick Foles-poleon Dyanmite back was a great move IMO. He will be a viable option God forbid something were to happen. *knock on wood*

RB - Blount, Sproles, Pumphrey, Clement (4)

Blount has not shown the power I'd like to see so far, but it's preseason. I'm not worried. I believe Sproles most value will come as a receiver rather than a runner, but he will still get his fair share of carries. Pumphrey is the heir apparent to the Sproles-role after this season, so he will get some reps to show he has what it takes. Clement is my surprise guy here. Lots of teammates have said he has looked great in practice, but his injuries that have prevented us from seeing him, combined with Clement looking good in pass-protection and making some nice plays last night, may hurt his chances. If Clement performs in the last two games the way he did last night, I believe Smallwood will be the odd man out. 

WR - Jeffery, Smith, Agholor, Hollins, M. Johnson, Ward (6)

Jeffery is our #1 guy and looked good last night with Wentz. I'm excited to see that develop into touchdowns. Smith is our guy to take the occasional shots deep to. I've always liked him and I believe that he can get back to the form he had when he was in Baltimore. Agholor is one of the biggest reasons the Eagles traded Jmatt. His work and performance in camp has been praised from day 1. I believe 100% of that credit goes to Mike Groh the WR coach lighting a fire under his ***, so thank you Mike. Hollins will push for playing time with his size/speed combination. I think by seasons end, the question will be: does he take the job from Smith next season? He'll also be a huge help to special teams, where he excelled at UNC. Johnson has made the most Jeffery being sidelined most of camp by making plays every time he gets the ball. I think he will be a great option for 5 WR sets. Ward has shown that he can make plays (a la that catch he made in traffic last night) and I believe he has done enough to warrant consideration. 

TE - Ertz, Celek, Burton (3)

Personally, I think this is Ertz's year. Yes we say that every year, but the stage is truly set this time. Jmatt is gone, and the rapport he developed with Wentz late last year was fantastic. He hasn't had the same starting QB for two seasons in a row since coming into the league, so I think he has the right setup now to make it happen. Celek, in all honesty, is one of my favorite Eagles of all time. Not based on stats, but because he has become a Philadelphia guy. He truly is a blue collar guy. He is one of the best blocking TE's in the league, when just a few years ago people criticized him for it. He worked his tail off and should retire as an Eagle and only ever an Eagle. Burton, like Ertz, will get a lot of reps to help alleviate the loss of Matthews. He will be on the field a lot more in the 2 TE sets and will get plenty of targets to make plays. Watch for him to be utilized out of the backfield as a FB occasionally.

T - Peters, L. Johnson, Vaitai, Tobin (4)

Peters is the best Tackle the Eagles have ever had. There I said it, and it's true. He is a hard worker and has a body guard/bouncer mentality. If you come near his QB, he will rip you apart (remember his rage when Foles got blindsided a few years ago?). I believe Johnson is the key for this season. Last year, the Eagles were 5-1 with him in the fold, and 2-8 without. He makes a huge difference for this line, and most importantly Carson. He just needs to be sure to read the nutrition labels. Halapaloutipalepatiplatipalou (however the hell you say his name) Vaitai could develop into a solid Tackle for us in the future. I still believe the Eagles need to draft someone in the next two years, but if Vaitai needs to step in and shows he can play, that opens up a draft pick for another need. Tobin is a solid guy to fill in if needed. 

G - Brooks, Seumalo, Warmack, Andrews (4)

Brooks had a great first campaign as an Eagle, ranking as the 5th best RG in the league according to Pro-Football Focus. He mauled in the run game and protected well in the passing game. Seumalo is a guy I'm excited to watch. I think he will end up being the steal of the 2016 Draft. Warmack & Andrews will be solid depth guys for us. 

C - Kelce, Wisniewski (2)

I believe this will be Kelce's last season in Philly, unless he puts together a Pro Bowl worthy performance. He has had a rough couple of seasons lately, but (for the devil's advocate opinion) like Ertz, he's had a different QB every year, sometimes multiple times per year. He will benefit a lot from having the same guy for once. Wisniewski proved to be a valuable signing for us last season by performing well when called upon, wherever he was called upon. His versatility makes him a great depth guy for us. 

Total Offense - 25

DEFENSE

DE - B. Graham, Curry, Barnett, Long, Means (5)

Brandon Graham is a beast. Yes it took him a while to realize it, but he turned in a terrific season last year. With the additions of Long, Jernigan and Barnett along the defensive line, I expect Graham to have a great season, potentially garnering his first Pro Bowl nod. Curry is on a hot seat. He signed a massive extension and has failed to replicate even half that performance. He needs a solid year to make the coaching staff believe he's worth keeping around. Like Graham, he will benefit from the additions of free agency, trades and the draft. Barnett is the guy I predicted the Eagles would take in the 1st round in my lone Mock Draft post. He has shown so far this preseason that he is a playmaker on defense. I expect him to be the starter opposite Graham by seasons end. Long has quickly become one of my favorite guys. From his jersey antics with Lane Johnson and Fletcher Cox, to his stance for solidarity with Malcolm Jenkins last night, he has shown himself to be a great guy. He has worked hard throughout his career, and I believe he will be a solid rotational guy for us. Steven Means has given no reason (to me) to not earn the last spot. He tore the Bills line apart last night, and looked solid against the Packers last week. IMO, he's the guy to beat for the final spot at DE. 

DT - Cox, Jernigan, Vaeo, Qualls (4)

Cox is primed to have a big year. He has great depth at the DE position next to him, and a great pass rushing DT next to him in Jernigan. I totally believe he can hit double digit sacks this year for the first time in his career. I believe Jernigan will prove to be the best addition we made, aside from Ronald Darby. His aggressiveness, combined with his relentless attitude (and having one of the best DT's in the game next to him) will bring him to a career year. If the Eagles are serious about being contenders, this guy is one of the guys they need to focus on resigning at seasons end. Vaeo showed promise last year as a rotational guy, and I expect the same from him this year. Qualls is a question mark for sure, but I believe he will be like Vaeo. Solid in a rotation that's surrounded by immense talent. 

OLB - Bradham, Kendricks, Goode, Gerry (4)

Bradham fits this defense perfectly for his position. He is a great tackler, solid in coverage and has great awareness of where the ball is. He constantly made plays last year, even though the coverage was (let's be honest) suckish. With the added talent around him both on the line and on the back end, he will have a great year. Kendricks is the one guy that I'm not sure about. He's made a lot of plays in pre season, which makes me wonder if he finally gets it and is putting it all together finally. But then with a lot of the coaches indicating he has "fallen out of favor", I figure we could get some decent compensation for him from a team that's willing to pay. I'll leave it here though: if he keeps making good plays on defense, let him have ONE more year. Otherwise, show him the door. Goode is a solid guy for depth, and a great special teams player. He stays for that alone. Gerry has been a quiet but productive guy in camp from what I've read. He's making the transition from College Safety, to NFL Linebacker smoother than anticipated. His best value, and roster spot, will depend on his help on special teams. 

ILB - Hicks, Walker (2)

Hicks is a star about to shoot. He has been a great player for us since he came in, and continues to make plays every week. It also doesn't hurt that his biggest games always seem to come against the Cowboys: 4 games -- 25 tackles, 1 sack, 4 INTs, 1 FF, 1 67 yard int return for a TD, injured Tony Romo and sent the Cowboys on a spiral downwards to 4-12. Walker was showing coaches he was worth some serious playing time last year before going down with an injury. He will try to replicate that so that the playing time comes this year. 

CB - Darby, Mills, Robinson, Douglas, R. Brooks (5)

What was last week a dreaded part of the team, has quickly become a very promising part of it. Darby looked AWESOME last night. The pass breakups and the interception were what Eagles fans were looking for from him. He comes in and immediately upgrades a secondary immensely more than what it was without him. Mills is a solid guy. He may not be a ball hawk, but he is a scrappy, aggressive corner who is a solid tackler. He kind of reminds me of Sheldon Brown, but with a lot more swagger. Robinson provides the veteran depth and goes back to his more natural spot in the Nickel. Douglas will get some shots to prove what kind of playmaker he can be. Brooks provides depth and help on special teams. 

S - Jenkins, McCleod, C. Graham, T. Brooks, Maragos (5)

Jenkins is the leader of this defense. He can slide anywhere to help get people in position. I'm of the mindset that the Eagles will do everything they can to keep him here as long as possible. McCleod had a great first season with the Eagles and is expected to take another step forward this season. He played well in coverage and in the box. I haven't been this excited about our Safety position since we had Dawkins and Lewis over 10 years ago. Graham knows the defense, due to his time with Schwartz in Buffalo, and comes in to help in packages that move Jenkins to the slot. Brooks provides some great depth, and Maragos helps keep our special teams #1. 

Total Defense - 25

SPECIAL TEAMS 

K - Sturgis (1)

Needs to do better in pre season nailing it between the uprights. 

P - Jones (1)

Our ageless wonder remains ageless. 

LS - "Magic Man" Dorenbos (1)

The wizard returns for at least 1 more year before going off to become a famous magician. 

Total Special Teams - 3

TOTAL ROSTER - 53

PUP List - Beau Allen, Sidney Jones

I believe both players remain here until partway into the season. Pieces will be moved around accordingly to make room for each, and it will only help the team. I believe Jones will be back before seasons end, and also think he will prove to be the #2 guy for us at CB next season. 

So there you have it. Post your comments below and let me know what you think. 

Looks solid my man, and welcome to the forums. I'll take a look at it more closely after work but the only thing I'm iffy on is Smallwood getting cut. He knows the offense and the team seems to really like him. 

11 minutes ago, Phire said:

Looks solid my man, and welcome to the forums. I'll take a look at it more closely after work but the only thing I'm iffy on is Smallwood getting cut. He knows the offense and the team seems to really like him. 

that's where I'm hung up too. I mean I like him. He's got a lot of potential, but the NFL is about production, not potential. If he produces, I'll be happy to be wrong. But if he can't make plays the way he should... sayonara. 

1 minute ago, Hammertime52 said:

Youre right about Smallwood, Clement has been balling

Absolutely. 

I'm also a guy who strongly believes that when a player plays for his childhood favorite team, there's a little extra effort given than the next guy. Clement grew up in Jersey as an Eagles fan, and now has a chance to be one for real.  

If there's anyone who's looking to prove they deserve a spot more than the next guy....Clement is #1 in my book. 

I agree with most of this.

Here are the things I'd change:

Smallwood over Clement

Treggs or maybe Gibson (if he has a good preseason showing) over Ward

Dillon Gordon over Tobin

CJ Smith or Tre Sullivan over Maragos.  I think Maragos maybe be gone. Corey Graham also is a good special teamer. Maragos is a great ST player but is a turd at actual Saftey

I wouldn't be surprised to see Patrick Robinson getting cut and Aaron Gymes or CJ Smith get his spot

Pretty spot on outside of a few spots. And those are arguable at best. I can see it shaking out this way. Good job. 

Andrews might be zipped due to Wiz's flexibility and Warmack being the clear backup. 

Robinson has been awful and he may be out and out released after many believed he'd be starting. 

Clement is possible over Smallwood. It's up for debate. 

Overall, good evaluation though. 

Yea, forgot about Gordon. They'll find a spot for him. Good call @EaglesPeteC

8 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

Can someone break Pumphrey's toe so he can go on IR so Eagles can keep Clements and Smallwood?

if sproles had retired then it wouldn't be an issue. lol

and now he's back and forth about that after this season too 

10 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

I agree with most of this.

Here are the things I'd change:

Smallwood over Clement

Treggs or maybe Gibson (if he has a good preseason showing) over Ward

Dillon Gordon over Tobin

CJ Smith or Tre Sullivan over Maragos.  I think Maragos maybe be gone. Corey Graham also is a good special teamer. Maragos is a great ST player but is a turd at actual Saftey

I wouldn't be surprised to see Patrick Robinson getting cut and Aaron Gymes or CJ Smith get his spot

Smallwood or Clement I'm happy with regardless of who wins it. 

Treggs was barely used last year at all and didn't really make the most of anything. Gibson has been awful, dropping everything almost. He's a practice squad guy at most. 

I can see the argument for Gordon because I had trouble deciding. 

If I had to pick, I'd go for Sullivan purely based on that hit he laid out last week. Kids got aggression. 

I still think they'll keep Robinson. He provides the most experience at a very young group of CB's. Doesn't hurt to have him there as veteran-surance. 

Without seeing last night's game:

Smallwood > Clement - Smallwood can be a KR something this team needs. 

Treggs > Ward - Ward will be on the PS, Treggs has more vertical ability, something we'll need if Smith doesn't play well.  

I see 9 OL Seumalo can play multiple spots, Wiz/Tobin as well. From that group Warmack or Andrews get cut 

If Walker shows he's healthy sure otherwise Goode as the backup MLB and Grugier-Hill outside he provides ST ability.

Personally I want just Malcolm, McLeod, Brooks, & Sullivan but I think they find a reason to keep both Maragos and Graham over Sullivan. I don't think Sullivan stays on the PS. 

CBs: Darby/Mills/Brooks/Douglas/CJ Smith/ Robinson  

20 minutes ago, thebriguy90 said:

Absolutely. 

I'm also a guy who strongly believes that when a player plays for his childhood favorite team, there's a little extra effort given than the next guy. Clement grew up in Jersey as an Eagles fan, and now has a chance to be one for real.  

Fun fact: Smallwood grew up in Wilmington and was also a big Eagles fan.

Archived