Michael Thomas - future contact - hold out?

Mid Iowa

I have a feeling we could be staring down the gun barrel of a Michael Thomas hold out. Correct me if you think I'm wrong.

Michael Thomas is in his third terrific season of his rookie contract. He's making about 1 million dollars, and is one of the League's leading receivers yet again.

Key note, he just fired his agent. This is his second agent since beginning his professional career.

By current standards in the NFL, he should be holding a contract valued closer to $80 million, with about $60 million guaranteed. Obviously, he's far from that, and next year is slated to be paid $1.1 million. That would arguably be a slap in the face for a guy with his talent.

Do you think the Saints will initiate a renegotiation? What would that look like with our cap situation? If we win a Superbowl this year, maybe it's not as important, but if we fall just short, we will absolutely need him with Breeze to win the big game, or even stand a chance.

Thoughts?

1 hour ago, JMG5 said:

The Saints aren't scared to tag a player. That's what I expect them to do while they negotiate.

Well here's still got 1 year left on his contract, so there won't be a franchise tag. I'm curious if Thomas will hold out.

22 hours ago, Mid Iowa said:

Well here's still got 1 year left on his contract, so there won't be a franchise tag. I'm curious if Thomas will hold out.

He might. I could see it. 

Saints haven’t been known to hand out huge paydays to WRs, but moving away from the Brees era Thomas is clearly a guy you want your next QB throwing to. 

Thomas, Kamara, Ramczyk and Armstead will make any QBs job easier, they need to be here for the long haul. 

Archived